Quick Turkey-Bean Soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
VickiLynn
Master Member

Quick Turkey-Bean Soup

Post by VickiLynn »

Am I the only one who loves soup no matter what time of the year it is?  I have had this recipe for awhile but never made it until last week.  It was so good that it deserves a post.

1 pound ground turkey
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1-1/2 cups chopped celery
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
2 (14.5 oz) cans beef broth
1 (28 oz) can stewed tomatoes
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15.25 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained

In a soup kettle or Dutch oven over medium heat, brown turkey, garlic, and onion in oil; drain.  Add celery and peppers; cook and stir for 2 minutes.  Add broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, cayenne, basil, and oregano; mix well.  Bring to a boil.  Add beans and corn.  Bring back to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.

I made a few adjustments to the soup because I didn't have some of the ingredients.  I used ground beef instead of the turkey, a sweet yellow pepper instead of the green pepper, and prepared garlic in a jar.  I love onion so I used a big one and I also used heaping tablespoons of the tomato paste.  This soup is really more of a stew because it really thick and VERY FILLING.  It also freezes very well.  ENJOY!
Last edited by VickiLynn on June 14th, 2011, 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Re: Quick Turkey-Bean Soup

Post by Joyful Friend »

With you, gal, soup is always delicious---cold or hot weather.  I like your simple recipe--- it is always easy to open cans.  I keep my shelves well stocked.  Thanks,  :thumbsup: JF
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

JF - you said something about keeping your shelves stocked with canned soup.  Do you have any favorites of the canned soup?  Thanks

VickyLynn - thanks for the recipes.  Sounds good. 

Jerrie
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I'm sorry, Jerrie, I meant cans of beans, tomato paste, and etc for making soups like the recipe Vicky gave to us.  My DH likes the Healthy Choice and Progresso Soups. There are several without MSG.  I usually keep several cans of those for him.  He also likes the soups I make.  :laughing:  JF
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

The canned soups should only be a "have to because I don't have anything better to eat." If you liik at the list of ingredients in each can, I could not find any that were completely LDL friendly....even the organic ones in the health food stores.
If you can make the soups up ahead of time, they will freeze well in small portions. And in this weather, they will thaw in no time.  :laughing:
In fact in the 103 degree heat I could probably have it thawed and cooked within an hour!  ;D
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Yummm, that sounds awesome.  The list of ingredients is a bit daunting though.  I get a little recipie shy when I see a long list of ingredients.  It seems easy enough though.  And, I love soup ALL the time, too!! ~
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Jessica! Welcome back. You CAN do this -- and don't forget that it is imperative to EAT when you are hungry. To do otherwise is guaranteed to send you off plan. Your body can and WILL do the portion control for you.

I love to cook, and I love recipes that are simple -- the simpler the better. For something like this soup with a longer list of ingredients, I find it helpful to break that list down by grouping the ingredients together according to the steps required in cooking. Start by grouping the veggies, meat, and oil that will all be browned in the skillet. Onions, garlic, celery, 1 or 2 kinds of peppers, the turkey, and some oil. Very easy.

The next group is just adding 2 kinds of tomatoes, the broth, 3 different cans of beans, and a can of corn.  Also very easy.

Then a couple of seasonings, and -- voila! Delicious, easy soup that only looks intimidating.

I've found most of the recipes on the board to be very easy -- it does takes a little planning ahead to cook with whole foods instead of just opening a pre-cooked and packaged food, but it's well worth it. Well, it does raise your expectations of what good food should taste like, so we eat out at restaurants less and at home more.  ;)  But that's not a bad thing!

Enjoy the continued journey!
Terri
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

JF - Thanks for the clarification.  I, too, keep my pantry stocked pretty well with beans and use them just about every day.

Linda - I haven't had canned soup in a long time, but thought JF found canned soups that worked well with LDL (but didn't realize she was talking about beans, and not soup).  Thanks for the info.

Jerrie
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Somebody needs to start canning LDL soups!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Linda,

I love the quote under your signature!!!! ~
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I have that signature made fancier in HTML that I sign my emails with.
Wouldn't let me do the whole thing here, but I loved the quote when I saw it in someone else's signature, so I stole it!  *woot*
Linda