Brat and Cannellini Bean Soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
Jessica

Brat and Cannellini Bean Soup

Post by Jessica »

I made this easy recipe today, and it has a great light flavor.

3 cans Cannellini beans
3 Lean Turkey Bratwurst links
Chicken Broth
1 can Petite Diced Tomatoes
1 tbsp butter substitute
1/2 tbsp diced garlic

Cut the bratwursts into slices.  Heat the pot and add the butter. When the butter is melted, add the garlic and the brat slices.  While the brat slices brown, drain, rinse, and dump 2 cans of cannellini beans into a blender.  Add chicken broth to your beans until it is the consistency you want, keep in mind you will be adding a can of tomatoes later.  When the brat is finished cooking pour the bean broth into the pot with the bratwurst and garlic.  Open the can of tomatoes and the last can of Cannellini beans (drain the beans only) add both to the pot.  Heat through. 
Jessica

Re: Brat and Cannellini Bean Soup

Post by Jessica »

Just to clarify...

1. the Lean Turkey Bratwurst is made from Turkey and a handfull of other ingredients that are mostly spices.
2. The only ingredient I didn't know was alginate, which is seaweed and used for the casing
3. I know you all change recipes to fit your own definitions, which is great!!  And which is why I didn't include all the extra... Use your "Willow Run" or "Use Olive Oil" or Don't use any extra fat (but I find that cleaning stainless steal pots is a huge pain if I don't use something especially since the turkey is lean, and often I find that there is nothing to drain off after it is cooked- just a hard to clean pan is left), or change the bratwurst to homemade sausage, etc.  
4. I personally enjoy a recipe that is simply written without all the extra distracting stuff written into it.  I often will skip over a recipe that looks too involved, no matter the rating. So, that is why I didn't put all that stuff in there.  

If you don't like it change it or give it to your dog.  

~jess
Last edited by Jessica on June 17th, 2011, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Your Turkey Brat sounds like you found a very healthy kind, Jess.
I just veer away from the store-bought ones because most are not very healthy.
Some manufacturers do "get it" though and have changed to a healthier way of making things.
You are doing great, and this was one I thought very appealing.
The spices really do make the dishes tasty and you are right, you have to have some fat and most pick their favorite.

Your recipe is great and I am sorry if it sounded like I was being too critical.
I actually love bacon and sausage "GREASE". Had a SIL who called her wilted salad grease salad.
I actually was trying to be funny. Sometimes it just doesn't come off that way.
I am going to remove my other comments so your recipe can stand alone being the great recipe it is.
It might be helpful to modify it and insert the brand of Bratwurst you use for the newbies
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I'm sorry Linda.  I am a bit over sensative to tone in a message.  It is a flaw I try to overcome, but somehow it always rears its ugly head.  Please don't stop posting to my posts. I enjoy your comments.  I couldn't sleep and started posting, you know how it is at 3am (I think it's something like drunk dialing), and now it's 7:30 and I'm still posting, still sleep deprived, and have to be at work in an hour.  I know you are a great person! And, after your posts I went back and changed mine  :blush:
Last edited by Jessica on June 17th, 2011, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

So sorry you are having trouble sleeping, Jess,
I know how difficult it is to go to work so tired....
Hope you have a great day anyway and please get some sleep tonight.  :thumbsup:
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Jess, So many of  the turkey sausage that are prepackaged have all the turkey in them--like skins which are so fattening.  The soup sounds delicious, but I have not bought any processed meat for myself for two years--I've bought it, because my family likes them, but I haven't eaten any.  I feel so much better from it.  I love sausage, but  what I make with white meat ground turkey is delicious.  Please tell us the brand name, because I also loved brats, and if there is one that is okay, I will get it.  I also like easy recipes, but so many times it's the different spices that give us the delicious taste.  I love experimenting, but usually the recipes that I use over and over are simple.  I hope you can get your rest.  I very seldom have problems with sleeping for which I'm grateful. *hug* :)  JF
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

I've used the Morton's Meatloaf and Sausage Seasoning mentioned in the red book and it is great.  It makes plain ground chicken or ground turkey taste exactly like sausage.  Jerrie
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Jerrie, that's what I use.  I also love it.  I think I'll have to make some tomorrow.  :thumbsup:JF
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Mary,
Ok, so here's my question...  Is there a difference beteween animal fats?  I mean, I would assume that fat from a fruit or vegetable would probably be healthier for you than from an animal, but when we are talking animal fat, is there a difference between the fats?  Is one kind of fat worse for you than another?  So, like if I had a choice between 97% fat free all white turkey breast, or a 97% fat free dark meat turkey leg is the dark meat turkey leg worse for you??  Isn't 97% fat free 3% fat no matter how you slice it??? And isn't fat fat??

Should I be worried about where I am getting my fat from???

Curious,
~jess
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Ok. So, I have tried a few variations on this recipe.  I have used regular 97% ff ground turkey and while it was cooking in the pan, I have flavored the meat with a packet of taco seasoning, and another time I flavored it with burrito seasoning. Both good.  I also used seasoned tomatoes.  You know like garlic and basil, fire roasted with chilles, that kinda thing... and also good. I am thinking I am going to have to get that sausage seasoning that everyone talks about on here.  I think it would be a great addition to my pantry.  ~jess
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I have not bought it yet but I think Sicilian Mama talked about Old Bay. I had never heard of it but then saw it in the grocery store bottom shelf with the spices. DH loves it. Puts it on nearly everything. I also bought Emeril's Seasoning that Gwenaford raves about. Both are good.
Linda

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Linda - I bought a can of Old Bay seasoning years ago to make a recipe I found called "Mock Crab Cakes", which does not use crab meat, but grated zucchini instead.  It is amazing how the Old Bay seasoning makes it taste just like real crab cakes.  Jerrie :)
Last edited by JerrieH on June 23rd, 2011, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Jess - when I bought the Mortons Sausage and Meatloaf seasoning, I couldn't find it in any of the stores in my location.  I went to the Morton's website and got their 800 number and called them to order it.  Jerrie :)
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Jerrie, I would like the crab-cake recipe.  Sounds delicious.  :thumbsup:  JF
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Yes Jerrie, please post the crab cakes recipe.
If it is not LDL friendly maybe we can tweek it.
Anything with zuchinni in it sounds great.
Linda

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

JF and Linda – Here is the Mock Crab Cake recipe I got years ago.  I think it can be easily adapted to LDL.

MOCK CRAB CAKES
2 c. zucchini, coarsely grated
2 T. onions, grated
2 T. celery, finely chopped
2 T. green peppers, finely chopped
1 T. Mayo (can probably use light Mayo – Hellmans Light is good and doesn’t taste light)
1 T. Worchestershire sauce
1 T. Old Bay seasoning
2 lg. eggs, beaten
2 c. soft bread crumbs (could probably use crumbled corn thins)
2 T. butter (could probably use just a bit of evoo)

Press zucchini through cheesecloth, to remove moisture.  Add all ingredients, except butter.  Form into patties, 3 inches round, and 1 inch thick.  Melt butter in skillet and fry on medium heat until golden on both side.

Can serve with lemon wedges and/or tartar sauce.

Jerrie