Garbanzo Hot Pot

All our yummy soup recipes!
JerrieH

Garbanzo Hot Pot

Post by JerrieH »

While visiting with my mother-in-law Sunday night, I was looking at some of her cookbooks, one of which was from a famous restaurant in our area.  I found this recipe in it and made it for dinner tonight and it was really good.

GARBANZO HOT POT

1 c. onions, diced
1/4 c. green pepper, diced (I used red pepper)
2 T. butter (I just used a small amount of EVOO)

Sautee above on low heat until onion is translucent, then add:

2  15 oz. cans garbanzo beans, drained
1 3/4 c. water
2 t. chicken stock base
1 c. canned tomatoes, mashed with fork (I used stewed tomatoes)
1 t. crushed garlic
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. dried marjoram, crushed
1/8 t. pepper
1 bay leaf

Simmer uncovered 20 minutes, remove bay leaf.  I also used my immersion blender to blend it somewhat, while leaving it somewhat chunky.  Also you can omit the water and chicken stock base and just use 1 3/4 c. chicken stock in place of those two items.   It was even good cold, after being refrigerated.  I plan to have left overs tomorrow.

Jerrie
Last edited by JerrieH on July 20th, 2011, 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Garbanzo Hot Pot

Post by LINDA RN »

Jerrie,
Stewed tomatoes have added sugar.
Used to love them as a kid but after moving to Oklahoma for years and not eating them, I bought a can for old times sake, and was shocked how yukie they tasted.
I read the ingredients and found the added sugar. This was years before LDL! Even after that, I was always looking for spaghetti sauce without the added sugar.
I know they add the sugar to handle the tartness, but after eating tomatoes without the added sugar, I found I really did not like the sugar in them.
Just a thought.

The recipe sounds great.
DH loves Garbanzos but I think I might add Rotel for a kick since he adds pepper sauce to everything!
Last edited by LINDA RN on July 20th, 2011, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

RT - I'm so glad you liked the soup.  Thank you for letting me know you tried it and liked it.  I really liked it too.  Jerrie  :)
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I have some stock I made from leftover rotisserie chicken in the freezer I need to get out to make room for more ice.
Going to make this today. May have to add some great northern beans to it if I don't have enough chick peas.
Have enough on hand to make a 6 qt pot or more. Hopefully will have enough to freeze for lunches next week.
May saute some organic carrots I bought on sale and add them to it also, depending on whether the carrots will go with the taste of the soup..
Wonder what got in to me. First time in weeks I have had any motivation to cook....
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Hope you like it Linda.  Not sure how different it would taste with Great Northern beans and carrots, but it might be really good like that.  Let me know how it turns out.  Jerrie
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Well, had a bunch of dried garbanzos so decided to throw them in the pressure cooker and save the canned ones.
I cooked 2 lbs. Got the timing right this time and they came out perfect. Not too mushy.
I blenderized about 5 cups of them to make the soup creamy and laft the rest whole.
Kinda tasted bland so added more majoram and 4 bay leaves and more salt and pepper.
Oh, yah, that did it. Soup was great.
Had to run to town so no time to cook carrots. They would have been good in it.
But it was good the way it was. Got 2 big bowls in the freezer to take for lunch next week.
You are right, it does taste good even cold.
Linda

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Glad you liked the soup Linda.  I'm thinking about making another batch today.  Jerrie
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Since DH always has to "doctor up" his food with pepper sauce, I think I will use the mild Rotel next time.
Linda