Creamy Cauliflower Cheese Soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

I found this recipe the other day and decided to try it.  It was posted by Mary back in 2006.  I was skeptical that the mustard wouldn't make it taste kinda funny, but it was really good and I couldn't taste the mustard.  It was suprisingly cheesy despite the small amount of cheese.  She said it makes such a large amount, but I don't like to make huge amounts of soup (especially if I'm not sure I will like it) because of the storage space factor.  Therefore, I cut the recipe in half.  Also, instead of garbanzo beans and white beans, I just replaced the white beans with extra garbanzo beans.  Anyway, this soup was really good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This makes a BIG potful....probably enough for ANG to feed all of her family as an appetizer without having to double the recipe!  Makes 8 - 9 bowls. It freezes fine. You can substitute 2 of the cups of water & the bouillon cube for 2 cups of fat-free chicken or vegetable broth if you wish.  Also, any kind of fat-free cheese would work equally as well as the type I used.

INGREDIENTS:
4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 large Vidalia (or any sweet yellow) Onion, diced (approx. 2 cups)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large head cauliflower, chopped into 1" pieces (you can include the core)
1 x 15 oz. can Chick peas (garbanzo beans,) rinsed & drained
1 x 14 - 15.5 oz. can butter beans or canellini beans, rinsed & drained
4 cups water
1 Knorr Chicken Bouillon cube
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. mixed Italian herbs
1/2 tsp. Colman's Mustard powder (optional, but it brings out the flavor of the cheese without adding any mustard-y flavor)
1/2 cup low-fat Milk or better yet fat-free milk
1/4 cup Kraft reduced-fat Parmesan Cheese

1.  Heat the Olive Oil in a large saucepan, on high.  Add the onion and garlic, stir, and sautee for 2 or 3 minutes.  Add the chopped cauliflower and stir well.  Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2.  Add all of the other ingredients except the cheese, and turn the heat up to high again.  Stir well, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 10 more minutes.  Remove from heat, and stir in the cheese.

3.  To make this a creamy soup, either let it cool and blend in batches in a blender, or even easier, use a hand-held immersion blender such as a Braun Multi-quick to blend the soup right there in the pot.  You can make it totally smooth or leave some pieces, whichever you prefer. 
jopaul

Re: Creamy Cauliflower Cheese Soup

Post by jopaul »

I found this recipe on the boards today. It's a good way to use up my canned butter beans. Thanks!
Tina
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Oh my!  This was delicious!  I made this a few days ago and thought I would be freezing some.  Nope.  Between my mother-in-law and I it never made it to the freezer.  It is perfect for our no meat Fridays during lent as well as perfect for anytime!

I was kind of curious how much I would get from the head of cauliflower I bought.  It measured almost 5 1/2 cups.  Did anyone else do this?
Thanks again Mary for another winner and thanks to Jerrie for reposting it!
mrsj

Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

It is delicious.  I have the cauliflower, so maybe will make today.  Thanks for bringing it back up.  :thumbsup:  JF