Rosemary White Bean Soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
JerrieH

Rosemary White Bean Soup

Post by JerrieH »

Rosemary White Bean Soup

• 1 pound dried white cannellini beans (or any white bean)
• 4 cups sliced yellow onions (3 onions)
• 1/4 cup good olive oil  (I would use less, maybe 2 T.)
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 large branch fresh rosemary (6 to 7 inches) (or 1 t. dried rosemary)
• 2 quarts chicken stock
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a medium bowl, cover the beans with water by at least 1-inch and leave them in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight. Drain.
In a large stockpot over low to medium heat, saute the onions with the olive oil until the onions are translucent, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook over low heat for 3 more minutes. Add the drained white beans, rosemary, chicken stock, and bay leaf. Cover, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until the beans are very soft. Remove the rosemary branch and the bay leaf. Can be pureed in a food processor or with an immersion blender.  Return the soup to the pot to reheat and add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve hot.

Note: I have read that 1 lb. dry beans equals 4-6 c. cooked beans; therefore I think that you can use approximately 3 or 4 cans cannellini beans, instead of the dry beans.  

Jerrie
Last edited by JerrieH on October 11th, 2011, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Re: Rosemary White Bean Soup

Post by MsHeirloom »

This sounds really good.  I love to cook with fresh rosemary.  Thanks for posting.      Pam
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

I just made this and it is good.  I cut it in half, as I had never made it before and wanted to make sure I liked it before making a full recipe.  I didn't have canellini beans, so I used great northern beans.  I put two cans of beans in it and once I used the immersion blender it was creamy, and a good consistency, but not thick, so if you are cutting it in half, I wouldn't use less than two cans of beans (any less than that and it would probably be kinda liquidy).  Therefore, if you make a full recipe, and you were using canned beans, I'd put in 4 cans of beans.  Jerrie
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

I'm off to soak my white beans too, lots of deer-proof rosemary in our front yard....our family will be having it for Sunday lunch.

Thanks for sharing!
Julie