Southwestern-Style Spagetti Squash Soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
abbys mom

Southwestern-Style Spagetti Squash Soup

Post by abbys mom »

Saw this recent recipe that I wanted to try & thought I'd share. I was just feeling like something new and have a bountiful harvest of spagetti squash this year.  ;D

Southwestern-Style Spaghetti Squash Soup

1 (3 lb.) spaghetti squash
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 chubby cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 lb. fresh tomatoes, pureed
4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1 (4.5-oz.) can chopped green chiles
1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed, drained

Chopped cilantro, grated Cheddar cheese and sour cream for serving

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Rinse & dry squash. Place squash on aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for about 1 hour. Turn squash every once in awhile to promote even cooking on the inside.

The squash is done baking when it gives a little when you press it with a finger and a sharp knife easily slides into it. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly. When squash is cool enough to handle, use a sharp chef’s knife to cut off both ends. Cut lengthwise through the squash and open it up. Use a spoon to scrape out seeds from each half. With a fork, scrape the strands of squash out and put on a plate. Set aside. When squash has cooled, it can be covered and refrigerated for a couple of days.

Heat olive oil in large soup pot. Sauté onion and green pepper until tender. Add garlic and continue to sauté for 2 more minutes. Stir in ground cumin, pureed tomatoes, broth, chopped green chiles and black beans. Cover pot and allow soup to simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in spaghetti squash. As soon as squash is heated through, serve soup. Offer cilantro, grated cheese and sour cream at the table. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

• Use more cumin if you like it a little spicer.
• No need to peel fresh tomatoes before putting them into blender. Just remove core, cut into chunks and puree. Or just use a 28 oz can of whole tomatoes (then puree)

I am going to attempt this this weekend and will let you know how it turns out.  Also on the agenda is pumpkin chowder from a blog & a pumpkin (or butternut squash)-bean shephard's pie.  Will post those later!

Kathy (from lurk-dome sheepishly after gaining 20 lbs back :<)
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Re: Southwestern-Style Spagetti Squash Soup

Post by Joyful Friend »

Sounds good.  Thanks, JF
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I have been enjoying spaghetti squash topped with pizza soup all week.
I love spaghetti squash! Had never even heard of it let alone eaten any before LDL.
This recipe sounds great.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Love the recipe!  A nice squash soup that doesn't need to be pureed in a blender, saving a step in the process.  Also, remember that spaghetti squash is a great substitute for real spaghetti.
Last edited by VickiLynn on October 29th, 2011, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.