Lentil Soup with Garam Masala

All our yummy soup recipes!
stl_viewer
New, but learning

Post by stl_viewer »

Just made this soup--I thought I'd gotten the recipe from these boards, but apparently not, though it's similar to some recipes I've seen here.  I think it's delicious.

Ingredients

• 2 onions, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
• 6 cups water
• 1 cup red lentils   
• 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
• 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini (white kidney) beans, drained
• 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
• 1/2 cup diced carrots
• 1/2 cup chopped celery   
• 1 teaspoon garam masala
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions
1. In large pot, saute the onions, garlic, and ginger in the olive oil for about 5 minutes.
2. Add everything else. Bring to a boil for a few minutes then simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or longer, until the lentils are soft.
3. Puree half the soup in a food processor or blender. Return the pureed soup to the pot, stir and enjoy!

Notes
  • I did not use celery or cardamom.
  • I used ground ginger from a bottle, not fresh.
  • I only used one onion, but it was pretty potent.
  • I used plain brown lentils instead of red.
  • I used about 1.5 tsp of garam masala and about .5 tsp of cumin and cayenne.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Lentil Soup with Garam Masala

Post by LINDA RN »

Wow stl,
This sounds great.
I need to gather the ingredients and try this soon
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

What is Garam Masala?  Thanks, JF
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

JF... It is a spice.  Here is the link to what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garam_masala

I watch Aarti Party on the Food Network.  Aarti is Indian (from the country of India) and she uses this spice a lot in the dishes she prepares. 

This is a quote from the Food Network about Aarti and her program: "The Season 6 winner of The Next Food Network Star, Aarti Sequeira, invites viewers to join her for a playful Aarti Party, where she shares easy and delicious ways to enhance American favorites with simple but unique Indian influences. Whether she’s sprucing up everyday pulled pork sandwiches and perfectly roasted chicken or taking classic bread pudding and basic red lentils to new heights, Aarti cleverly combines the familiar with the exotic to create mouthwatering meals. No matter the occasion, Aarti Party promises great food and endless fun for home cooks everywhere"
Last edited by VickiLynn on November 14th, 2011, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
stl_viewer
New, but learning

Post by stl_viewer »

Hi, JF, garam masala (pronounced along the lines of guh-ruhm muh-SAH-luh, at least that's how it sounds when my Indian colleagues at work say it) is a combo of spices used in Indian cooking.

It can contain a variety of spices, but here is the listing for McCormick's version, and I think it's pretty typical:  GARAM MASALA (INCLUDES CORIANDER, BLACK PEPPER, CUMIN, CARDAMOM AND CINNAMON)

TBH, I think it's an acquired taste if, like me, you are not accustomed to herbs like "cinnamon" showing up in non-dessert foods.

I find this spice delicious in soup (the only place I've tried it so far).

Lori
BMorg

Post by BMorg »

OH....duh....I thought it was some kind of wine...like in "Chicken Marsala".... not even spelled the same. I've learned something new today!  :) I'll have to try to find some. I think it sounds yummy.

Beth M.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0n7Qks/]

Beth M.
RESTART 10/14/11
10/14/11 Wheat Belly: 49 inches :/   11/4/11 Wheat Belly: 46 inches :)
Psalm 27:13
I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks, I really like new ideas.  :thumbsup:  JF