Scallop and corn chowder - need help to convert to LDL

All our yummy soup recipes!
jopaul

Scallop and corn chowder - need help to convert to LDL

Post by jopaul »

I found this chowder recipe. I know the potatoes and bacon are no no's on LDL. Can someone help me to LDL it?

Scallop and corn chowder
4 ears of corn
1lb 10oz small scallops
9 oz (250g) bacon slices, cut into strips
2 onions, thinly sliced
1lb 2ox (500g) new potatoes
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
2 1/2 cups fish stock
1 cup half and half
2 cups milk
paprika

Prepare the chowder ingredients
1 hold each ear of corn vertically on a cutting board and cut from the tip down to remove the kernels. Put them in a small bowl. Working over the bowl, with the back of the knife, scrape the pulp and milk from each cob.
2 if necessary, discard the tough, crescent-shaped membrane at the side of each scallop. Make sure there is no black intestinal vein running around the edge of the shellfish, if you find one, peel it off and discard.

Cook the chowder base
3 Heat in a large saucepan, add the bacon and fry for 3 -5 minutes, stirring until the fat has rendered. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels.
4 Reduce the heat, then add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes, until soft and translucent. With a slotted spoon, transfer the onions to the lined plate. Discard any remaining fat from the pan.

Finish the chowder
5 Add the potatoes to the pan with the bay leaf, salt and pepper. Pour in the stock. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 7 -10 minutes, until the potatoes are slightly soft when pierced with the tip of a knife. Step 6 in next e-mail.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
jopaul

Re: Scallop and corn chowder - need help to convert to LDL

Post by jopaul »

Scallop and corn chowder - continued
6 Return most of the bacon and onions to the pan with the corn kernels and pulp, cream and milk. Bring to a boiland simmer for 7 - 10 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Add the scallops. Bring back to a simmer, then discard the bay leaf, ladle into warmed bowls, and sprinkle with paprika and reserved onion and bacon.

I found this recipe in the Illustrated Step-by-Step cook (a DK book).
Tina

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Well, I am sure you can cut way back on the dairy by using the butter beans and mashing them for the creamy base.
You may have to add a little milk to it.
Not sure how many cans it would take in order to to "cream the soup" plus additional to serve as potatoes.
You can use the liquid smoke for the bacon flavor.
You could use the artificial bacon bits but I am not a fan of artificial anything.
If it really needed the bacon for flavor, I would shake on just a few real bacon bits.
(I would consider this the same as Roger's use of blue cheese on salads)
Other wise, looks pretty good.
Be sure and post the finished recipe if you decide to do it.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Or add Canadian bacon for the regular fatty bacon. Canadian bacon is much lower in fat but still should not be consumed too often. I would say just for special recipes like this.

Linda's ideas were good!

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

I just wanted to interject here that since Roger found that potatoes made him gain 20 pounds that I would steer clear of the potatoes.  I have found that the big butter beans make an excellent substitute for them though.  I also totally agree with Linda about mashing them for the base and using liquid smoke for the bacon flavor.  :) 

This looks delicious though and I might try to make it this weekend LDL friendly.  If I do I'll come share my results here.  You guys rock with all your new ideas!  Have a great day!

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by LittlePrincess »

Mary you had me until turnips!  :laughing:

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by jopaul »

I'm with you LP. I must admit I've never tried a turnip. It sounds awful. How about the turnip enthusiasts giving us some ideas to cook with turnips. Any recipes or tip for cooking them. I have no clue.

Being Little Mary's previous recipes are ALWAYS good, I'll probably give the soup a try. Gotta love the Beef Potato Pie, and my favorite Pizza Soup. Then there's the chicken corn stew. I could go on.....

Tina

~Author Unknown
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

Tina, I love turnips!! Is it just a "southern" thing? I compare them to a stronger flavored radish. And of course, they're bigger! I like them raw, cooked in a pot of greens(turnip, collard, mustard or a combo of all 3), or cooked by themselves. I grew up on them and usually they were slathered with bacon grease in the pot! Not advisable on ldl! lol! But, I've cooked them in my pot of greens & added a bit of liquid smoke. It's good, too. Not quite as good as with the bacon grease; but, it'll do!  ;) Be sure to peel them. In the greens, I also add a bit of splenda & garlic powder. Yummy! I have greens in my freezer and turnips in the fridge. Guess I know what I'm cooking tomorrow!  ;D
Shari

jopaul

Post by jopaul »

Thanks Shari and Little Mary,
I'm still a scardy cat, but I don't mind the beans. Anytime...
Tina

~Author Unknown
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

I eat turnips the way I would potatoes- sauteed, boiled or baked. Love them! The tastiest way is sauteed sliced turnips with fried eggs (in evco) and sliced tomatoes on the side. Very delicious for brunch! :thumbsup:

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose