cook in crock pot or stove top

YUM :)
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: can can can soup

Post by LINDA RN »

Good job, Tiffany,
Simple and easy will get you there!

Now that you have posted 10 times, you can post a picture!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
tiffanykustron
New, but learning

Post by tiffanykustron »

So the soup I posted really isn't LDL because of the chicken broth then right?
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Nice to "see" you Tiffany!  Great picture.  FF chicken broth is fine. 
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Chicken broth is fine on LDL, most is fat free. Just get the ones with the healthiest ingredients. Swanson has a FF and no MSG chicken broth that I use frequently. Have a harder time finding a good beef broth. Rachel Ray had one I think. Im just an avid label reader.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

It is perfectly LDL.  Tiffany, nice picture!!  It isn't hard to make chicken broth either. I lost all my frozen chicken broth when we lost power for the hurricane, though.  I'm going to have to make some more.  I find the store bought chicken broth is expensive and usually has something I don't want to eat in the ingredients.
tiffanykustron
New, but learning

Post by tiffanykustron »

Thank you all so much! :)
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Tiffany.

Love your beautiful picture!

Most of the soups you'll find on the boards and in the book are broth based -- chicken, beef, or vegetable. (I think the ban on soups refers more to cream soups, those prepared with rice or noodles, etc.) And it is true that most prepared soups -- even broths -- have more sodium than we really need. But as someone who doesn't have time to cook all that much, even though I like to, I almost never make my own broth. If I had to do that to follow Let's Do Lunch, I would have left a long time ago. But I DO read labels on the canned or boxed broth. Look for no sugar, or if there is sugar listed, it should be near the bottom of the ingredients list. Also no MSG or hydrolized protein (another name for MSG). There are good broths out there, you just have to find a brand that works.

One of the main points of LDL is that it should be an easy lifestyle to stick with for the rest of your life.  If it's too hard, you'll quit before very long. If you have time to cook, great! If you don't, then use canned, frozen or prepared products that are as close as possible to just the basic, whole ingredients with no added junk. I stock up on boxed broth that is pretty much just basic ingredients -- meat or vegetables, water, salt, and not much else. I use canned beans and tomotoes all the time. I use frozen vegetables, and a lot of frozen fruit, as well as fresh fruit, even fruit canned just in juice. And LDL still works! Yay! :thumbsup:

This is a journey you should enjoy along the way!
You'll do great!
Terri
tiffanykustron
New, but learning

Post by tiffanykustron »

Thank you!  I really needed to read that today because it was a very hard day on LDL for me...bad carbs surrounding me everywhere!  I do need to adjust it somewhat to fit my lifestyle!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I made a yummy broth today.  I was cooking some chicken breasts and deboned them first.  I put everything else -- bones and skin, in the pot with a cut up onion, some celery stalks and carrots.  I just cooked it until it smelled so good.  It really isn't hard or too time consuming.  Then I put some in containers and froze them.  I kept one out to do a soup -- butternut squash.  Yum!!  That is what I'm planning to cook tomorrow. 
Singforjesusmichele

Post by Singforjesusmichele »

Wow Tiffany.....u r so b e a u t I f u l........God gave u a gift of beauty me thinks......I bet your even prettier inside..... Aloha from Michele in Hawaii
Michele