Stone soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
omalani
Master Member

Stone soup

Post by omalani »

When my children were small, I read them a book called Stone Soup. It was about a soldier making his way back home at the wars end. It was winter and none of the village people had any food. The soldier said let's make some stone soup. Someone had a big pot which they filled with water and got 3 smooth stones from the river. When the water was boiling, he tasted the soup and said, I wish we had some onions. Well someone just happened to have some. Then he said, I wish we had some carrots, which someone came up with. Then it was turnips, cabbage. etc.  and  eventually they had a pot full of delicious soup which the whole village shared and were filled. When I was preparing my soup today, it was like stone soup:
Stone Soup  (without the stones)
Ingredients:
1/2 c. celery, 1 c. onions, 1/2 c. green and red peppers, 1/2 c. burger mix, 1 can cannalini beans partially drained and chicken broth. Spices: salt and pepper to taste, a dash of thyme leaves and 1 tsp. basil leaves. When it was simmering I added baby spinach leaves and cooked till they wilted.
I sauteed the celery, onions, peppers and precooked burger mix, then added the beans,broth and spices. Well what started out as a small amount ended up being a pot full. It tasted great and it was things I had in my fridge.
Burger mix: Combine lean ground beef and ground turkey and fry them, I usually add a little onion, then divide it up in baggies to smaller servings. Add to soups or tomato sauce or veggies.
Anyway it is different every time you make it, but always good.
Last edited by omalani on December 31st, 2012, 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11

Singforjesusmichele

Re: Stone soup

Post by Singforjesusmichele »

Sounds spectacular! Wow! Love , michele
Michele
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

That's how my soups go.
Different every time, depending on what I have on hand/need to use up!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Singforjesusmichele

Post by Singforjesusmichele »

*woot*.  The French call this soup when we pull things from the fridge  bits and pieces.......ready for this ...la garbage soup.........I used to tease my three dotters and tell them....mommie is going to make some garbage soup now would anyone care to have some? Hehehe! 
Michele
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

you could cut the amount you use cook in microwave in pint or qt jar and make fresh each time. about 5 min.
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

12/12/16
I am going to start my fruit and soup flush tomorrow. I will have a smoothie for breakfast and soup for lunch and dinner. Pray for me. I must quit eating what everyone around me eats! I don't know how they all stay slim!! Life is good.
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11