[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4790: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
Let's Do Lunch Community • View topic - THE MOST FILLING TOMATO SOUP EVER!

Let's Do Lunch Community

See your doctor for approval before starting any new eating program.
The Key to Let's Do Lunch is to "Add a Little Something Fattening" to something nonfattening, to make it Taste Great! Read the New Red Book to find out how this is done!

Author believes we are put on this earth to have a chance to love The Lord. Other than that, we are here to help God bless as many other people as possible.

It is currently

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

This delicious creamy tomato soup is dairy-free and guaranteed to help you lose weight and keep it off.  You'll feel very satisfied having it for a meal (i.e. for dinner if you had your main protein meal for lunch, or visa-versa), or if you have it as an appetizer with a glass of water 10 minutes prior to your main course, you'll be very full indeed!  Give it a try, it's very simple to make, and you can make a big batch and eat it over a period of a few days.

INGREDIENTS:
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 large yellow onion, finely diced (around 1 & 1/2 cups)
2 cloves garlic, crushed (you can omit this if you don't like garlic)
1 large can (28 oz/794 g) Crushed Tomatoes
2 cans (14 - 15.5 oz. each) Red Beans, drained
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup loosely packed sliced fresh basil leaves, or 1 tsp. dried basil (optional.)

1.  Heat the olive oil on medium high in a large saucepan.  Add the onion and garlic, and sautee for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring.  Add the crushed tomatoes, stir, and cover the saucepan.

2.  Put the beans in a blender with 2 cups of water.  Blend until there are no pieces of beans left.  Pour into the saucepan.  Add the salt & pepper.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

It's done!  As it is, it tastes like a good cream of tomato soup.  If you want to add an extra depth of flavor, add the optional basil, stir in, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.  That's my favorite way of eating this soup.  Yummy!

Profile Send private message  

wow,VERY GOOD mary..this is really my fasoulada, blended..i tell people all the time that they can use any type of beans for this basic recipe..i never thought of blending it....this is going to be very good....and although you didn't say it,you can take the braun hand mixer and just stick it in the pot...JUST what i like to do......niki

Last edited by niki on , edited 1 time in total.

Yes, the good ol' hand-held immersion blender would work just fine with this recipe.  I use mine a lot, and now that you mention it, I'm not sure why I opted to put the beans in the blender today!  That's one of the cool things about making soups.  There are no right ways & wrong ways to make soups, and there are a zillion variations you can make of every recipe.  I used basil in this recipe because I happen to have some basil growing in a pot outside my back door.  Rosemary, oregano, sage, ginger, or chives would also work great, I'm sure.

I'm happy to read your continued success and improved health, Niki.  You must be smiling ear-to-ear!

Love,
Mary

We are going to love this new recipe, Little Mary!

Thank you so much!

God bless,

Roger Troy

Roger Troy, author of Let's do Lunch (amazing reviews at amazon.com, made The 700 Club's "Top Highlights of the Last 50 Years!", called an "International Sensation", a "Smash Hit" and the "Most Buzzed-about Weight-loss Book of the Year!" by FIRST Magazine (for women)

hi mary...i am..thank you.....i love all your recipes that use pureed beans.....it's just brilliant and an integral part of the let's do lunch cuisine....for the bean soup lovers,it's a nice change...for a person who has trouble digesting beans in the beginning,it's a great way to get their body used to eating beans....and for people who don't really like beans,it's a nice way of eating beans without the texture that they don't care for........
   as for me,i'm still wallowing in my guilt that i love ALL the let's do lunch foods..i love eating this way and i never get tired of saying that......i'm not on a diet and i've lost 30 pounds..............i will never get over that..........niki       

Last edited by niki on , edited 1 time in total.

Hi Kay,

Actually the beans I used are just called "red beans."  They're not kidney beans.  They're slightly smaller and are often used in Louisiana cooking, like their "red beans & rice."  Where I live, the bean aisles in our grocery stores are huge with dozens of types of beans to choose from.  If you can't find red beans, maybe pink beans are available?  If not, I'm sure you can use pinto beans or canellini beans or butter beans.  The soup just won't turn out the same color as traditional tomato soup, but I'll bet it will taste nearly the same.

Hope you like it!

Mary

i also like to kick this recipe up a notch by adding a can of Rotel chilis and tomatoes. gives it that nice liitle something to open up your sinus!!! Yee haw!!!

you can also use garlic powder instead of fresh garlic if you dont want the fuss. even minced garlic in the jar is great.

rh

You Texans put chili's in everything, right?!  Great idea to give this a good kick, Richard.  ;D

Mary

Well, Little Mary. You have outdone yourself again! I didn't think that was possible, but you never cease to amaze me! We had your Most Filling Tomato Soup Ever yesterday for Let's Do Lunch and I need to tell you...it was the thickest, most filling, best tasting tomato soup I have ever had in my entire life! We're having it again today...Mom is coming over and we're going to feast on it!

MmmmmmmmmmmmmmmGooooooooooooooooooooooooood!

Thanks so very much for this one, Little Mary. Tomato soup had always been my favorite soup of all time, but now I have your pizza soup and your tomato soup as my two favorites of all time!

God bless,

Roger Troy

Roger Troy, author of Let's do Lunch (amazing reviews at amazon.com, made The 700 Club's "Top Highlights of the Last 50 Years!", called an "International Sensation", a "Smash Hit" and the "Most Buzzed-about Weight-loss Book of the Year!" by FIRST Magazine (for women)

I can't wait to cook this soup......I can't imagine that its better than your pizza soup but we will see!!  If you havent tried Mary's pizza soup.....you are missing a blessing in your tummy!!
ANG

Glad you like this soup as much as I do.  It passed the "Dexter Test" too!  (Dexter is my husband.  He thinks he doesn't like any beans except for regular green beans or edamame.  For the past couple of years I've been tricking him into eating beans by serving them mashed or pureed, and he doesn't even know he's eating them.  He LOVES this soup and the tamale pie and all the other things I've been sneaking healthy beans into! Pretty tricky, huh?!  I've been so successful with this trickery that he lost 35 pounds without trying to, and they've stayed off for 18 months or more!)

I'm going to cook this recipe on Homekeeper's Show on CTN next month.  :)

Mary

OMG!!! i used this recipe only i used Great Northern Beans and the kids could not get enough. My bean hater son ate three bowls of it and even after i told him this was a bean tomato soup he still loved it. talk about filling and satisfying...made a great noon lunch for the whole family as this recipe was quick to cook and easy clean.

rh

You made my day, Richard. I laughed and laughed out loud about your bean hater son eating three bowls of Little Mary's Thickest Tomato Soup Ever, and even after knowing it was a bean soup he still loved it!

This has got to be one of the most enjoyable posts I have ever read on these boards.

Thanks for posting this, as I am going to use it from now on, without mentioning names, in my conversations with people re Let's Do Lunch.

God bless,

Roger Troy

Hi Mary,

I just printed this recipe.  It sounds wonderful and I can't wait to make it.  I'll probably try it over the weekend.  Thank you for sharing it.

Do you have any ideas as to how to cook chicken breast w/out drying it out?  So it tastes just as good the next day?  I'm not creative in the kitchen.  Thanks again.

Maggie

That's definitely one of the challenges with chicken breasts.  They're so tasty, but they do get dried out very quickly if you just grill them, for example, and leave them sitting out.  DON'T overcook them either or they get tough very quickly.  As soon as they're cooked, remove them from the heat.  To keep something moist for the next day, I recommend immediately putting a cooked chicken breast into a container with a bit of water or liquid and covering.  Of course, if you make your chicken in a soup or a casserole, stew, curry or anything like that, the liquid in the dish will keep the chicken moist and tender.

Hope you like the soup!  I had it again today, and I stirred in some left over "pinto bean and soy bean ragout" from the message boards.  It was so filling!  You can do a zillion things with this very easy soup.  Enjoy!
Mary

Hi Mary,
This soup sound so good I can't wait to try it. Tomato Soup is one of my confort foods. :D
Thanks,
June

Hello Mary,
I hear  your Birthday is on it's way. So Happy Birthday ,
I wanted to tell you I made your tomato soup last night and it was fabulous! I really was so full after eating it.
Thanks for the Recipe! I will use it as a base for a few other recipes I plan on creating in the future.
I hope you have a Wonderful Birthday too.
Thanks again.
Julie in St. Louie