niki's favorite bean soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
CodingQueen
Master Member

Re: niki's favorite bean soup

Post by CodingQueen »

BMorg,

I've used canned beans as well. Red Lion Lass is correct about the amount of cans needed. One can is approximately 1 1/2 cups cooked. A half a pound of dried beans (1 cup) is equivalent to 3 cups cooked.

I like to use the fire-roasted diced tomatoes in both...the canned and the dried...because I like my soups chunky...and, yes, you'll need 3 cans. Plus, you you'll need about 4 -5 cups of water depending on how thin or thick you want your soup. I also agree with Red Lion Lass when it comes to the seasonings. I'm Cajun and love it "spicy" so I use the red pepper flakes but I really don't care for oregano unless I'm in the mood for something Italian.

So, try it Niki's way (1 Tbsp. of each seasoning...chili powder, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes and salt) and then Red Lion Lass' way (1 Tbsp. of chili powder, cumin and salt) to see which one you prefer. Everyone is different. By the way, RLL forgot to mention that you need 1/2 Tablespoon of black pepper as well but I leave it out because of the red pepper flakes.

CQ
Last edited by CodingQueen on May 2nd, 2010, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red Lion Lass

Post by Red Lion Lass »

BMorg,

I forgot to mention the 1/2 Tbsp. of black pepper. CodingQueen, what would I do without you?

Red Lion Lass
sfwilley56
New, but learning

Post by sfwilley56 »

Hello Ladies, Has anyone tried putting a can or some frozen corn into this soup...its delish, I used the Mexican canned with the veggies in them, ( there was no sugar in the corn)....try it and let me know what you think...Sharlene
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

I don't see why not...it would probably taste like a Mexican soup...maybe even add some meat as well.

CQ
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I make this soup all the time -- like it is a staple in my fridge.  :)  I recently made lots of pico de gallo for fajitas we had.  There was left over pico and that is really good in this soup.  I also put a dollop of low fat sour cream and some guacamole, since I'm having no trouble maintaining my goal weight.  I also feed this to Mom and all that works fine for her diabetes.  I've had trouble feeding her enough calories while keeping her blood sugar down.  I decided that avocado would be good to increase calories in a healthy way. 
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Just wanted to annouce to the LDL world that I have a big pot of Niki's favorite bean soup on the stove right now!!  Wish everyone could come over for lunch!!  This is the best soup and really helped me lose my weight.  It has been buried for a while, so newbies  --  give it a try.  :thumbsup:

I hadn't made it in a month or so, and had some in the freezer.  When I was losing weight and even afterward, this was a staple in my fridge. 
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

What time's lunch? I'm sure my girlfriend could have me there in an hour. Only one problem...I don't do well in small engine planes. I'd have to take a Xanax.

On a serious note...I told my husband the other day that I needed to make this again. How funny that you brought it up. I love black beans and this gives me another tasty recipe besides the one in the Red Book. It's really good. :thumbsup:

CQ
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks for posting this again.  Another good one is the Creamy Butter Bean Soup.  When I made it I didn't put in the lemon juice and I accidently put in rosemary instead of the thyme and when I realized it I went ahead and put the thyme in it also.  It was really good.  Later I put a little lemon juice in a bowl of it and preferred it without, but the soup is very good.  Jerrie :)
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Jerrie,

I've made it both ways and I like it better without the lemon, too.

CQ
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I've never made that one before.  Maybe one day I'll try it.
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

I made Niki's Favorite Bean Soup the day before yesterday.  It was really good.  Reminded me of chili.  Jerrie :)
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

OK, it has been a long time since this recipe has come up.  Well, I sort of made it yesterday.  I've made it so many times that I do all kinds of different things with it.  Well, THIS TIME I used a lb. of black beans and a lb. of chick peas. I added onions, celery, and carrots to it and got the idea to add cabbage to it.  I grew a winter garden and have cabbage I need to use.  It is the best soup!!  

I credit this soup for helping me lose all my weight.  It is very delicious and filling and comforting and all the things you want in food.  I always vary the types of beans.  The spices are cumin, chili and oregano -- but I added basil this time.   Oh, I also used a jar of Great Value Mild Salsa -- instead of the canned tomatoes, but wanted more tomatoes so added a regular size can of tomatoes with green chilis. 

I'm planning to get in the habit of making this weekly again.  It is just soooo good.   :thumbsup:
Last edited by crickadoodle on February 7th, 2012, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.