Knock you socks off simple soup.

All our yummy soup recipes!
Zesti
Master Member

Re: Knock you socks off simple soup.

Post by Zesti »

OK! is there some kind of shortage on the fire roasted tomatoes?? I have been buying them for years!! Now, I went to two stores and they don't have them. Me thinks there is somekind of conspiracy out there. :(( So, I bought plum tomatoes and went to make my own, EVEN putting the oven on in this heat with no air conditioning in this house. Is that desperate or what?? But then DH finds them and uses them up for salsa... :ymdevil:
There is even a shortage of Butter Beans!!! I swear!! And, Dr. Oz put the "Mock Potato salad on his show and that uses silken tofu. I went looking for Lupini beans HA! a jar was near $5.00.
I guess now, because of his show. They will start coming out in a can, but be on the pricey side. I hate when that happens!! I just noticed the price of dried beans in the store went way up!
Ok. I am done whinning!! X( I have way to many other good receipes to eat without feeling deprived.
I love my butter beans more anyway, so there!!
Zesti
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Zesti, get your dried beans at the dollar tree. They also have the big cans of crushed tomatoes. I made the tomato soup last night and used pureed kidney beans. I ended up with a quart jar and a pint jar left over. Tonight I made "Knock your socks off" with the pint of tomato soup instead of the fire roasted tomatoes and added some carne asada meat I had left over and a little cumin, I wish I knew how to say "KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF" in spanish! Wow, it was good. DH will probably eat it tomorrow and I'm off to my next soup!! Maybe Israeli soup would be good. I'm getting a jump on fall!! I feel like I have been eating all day today. I do love to eat. Life is good.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Hi Omi,
I do check the price at the Dollar Tree, usually I can do better with my local grocer. I still have coupons for BOGO free. They just run out of the fire roasted. I haven't found those in a big can though. Me thinks there is someone out there that loves them as much as I do!..
Carne Asada, ahhh the other white meat!! I grew up on that stuff! I know that soup you made was good!!
I am so excited Fall is just around the corner. Although, we eat soup all year round. Fall is my favorite time of year. I will probably be eating soup for breakfast.
Zesti
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I went to my daughter's the other day and her frige was practically empty. I had stopped by Aldi's and picked up bread, milk and eggs for her family plus some cans of corn and beans. She had some left over spaghetti sauce so we put it in the big soup pot and added a can of refried beans, a whole bag of mixed veggies, a can of black beans rinsed & drained and some beef broth. The Sauce had the italian spices, onions and some ground turkey so we didn't add anything else. When I was there yesterday there was only 2 bowls left which we had for lunch. My 8 y.o. granddaughter ate 3 bowls the first night. However it gets better when you let it set for a day or 2. I think of you and pray for you LP everytime I make this soup. I was rereading the thread and it is so inspirational. Thank you so much for creating and sharing this recipe LP, it knocks my socks off everytime I make it. Life is good, but now that this cold weather is setting in, I'm looking for all those socks. =))
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I totally agree! ( about the receipe and LP :D ) This is a basic must have!..
I have been totally lazy with shopping lately and this house is empty of food. OH NO!..but the hunger monster is still here.....
I had this mixture in the freezer. Thank goodness I froze so much in pint containers..
I mean, I don't even have an onion in this house!! just a sad looking green pepper and spices from 1932 probably!
Out of the freezer, I pulled this along with a 2 pints of beans. drained the soup mix, smashed the beans. Put the mixture, dried spices and sad green pepper, into a food processor, drained again added to smashed beans, made patties', sauteed in a little coconut oil DONE! I had one of the BEST EVER! bean burgers. Along with a hot cup of broth, which was all the juice from the mixture. Didn't waste a thing! This definitely goes in my book as one of my favorite anytime meals.
Zesti
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Well I got a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and I have made the soup per the recipe, no hamburger!! I may let DH taste it, probably not!! But I am going to can it in qt. jars so I have it when I need it. I think I can sanitize my jars and lids in the dishwash and put the hot soup in them and they will seal. That way when I am hungry I will have something quick or could treat my DD or Linda to lunch. Just a thought.
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Omi I wish I knew how to can things. LOL! How did it go? Did it work?

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by Zesti »

HEY GF...glad to see ya!!
This soup freezes so well. Try using zip lock bags, they stack and take up less room in the freezer. If you take a lunch bag, then you don't need any ice either. My friend heats her up in the bag. I don't..I am just funny about plastic in the microwave..but I take a bowl with me..

I have been canning for years. I don't do corn or green beans very often. Only when I have a lot in my garden and only when I have the time to use a pressure cooker. Tomatoes are fine for a water bath, but a lot of veggies are not..Here's a nice little web site to start your research with, after you get the hang of it. It's wonderful. I do one jar sometimes and just add it to my pantry..Especially when the tomatoes start coming.. Tomatoes are a good place to start for beginners. You can just give them a water bath and not have to worry..
http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/canning/

Now I am loving "salad in a jar"..they are just fun to eat. I layer all my veggies and beans, my dressing and then shake it all up when I get where I am going. Last time I ate "your pickled beets" I still had some juice in the jar left over. I just added fresh cut veggies, lettuce and shook it all up..So pretty!! SOO YUMMY!!
When I do this, I use the quart size, cuz I like my veggies... I used my the 1/2 gallon glass mason jars. At first, I thought..hmmm..maybe a little much. But it worked out great. I ate from the jar, when I was done, I just put the lid back on and into the fridge it went for the next day...I am the only one that eats out of the jar, so it's not like I am double dipping on myself is it?? oh well, who cares...LOL..
Anything and everything you can make ahead and have on hand is the way to go.
:ymhug: :ymhug:

Zesti
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Thanks Zesti. I am in my new apartment and slept very well last night on my new bed. Today I awoke with no aches or pains. I took Motrin 400 mg. twice last night. I was surprised because I was aching everywhere after moving in all those boxes. I still have no fridge but I don't need to refrigerate the fruits and veggies. I will have me some eggs in the am with mushrooms and spinach. I went to the Dollar Tree and bought some pretty paper plates till I get my stuff back. Also I bought towel, hot pads etc. I am loving this new life that is unfolding. Life is good.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I love moving into a new place. One gets to start all over with empty cupboards :))
Now, all the right choices of what to put in these cupboards is all up to you...You GO GF YOU GO!!
Ahhh, simplicity at it's finest.

:ymhug:
Zesti
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I have 3 pieces of furniture a new bed, a futon which I use for a couch and an old TV with built in VCR and DVD players on a rolling stand. I also have a standing lamp and bedding, kitchen stuff and the prettiest paper plates from the Dollar Tree. I got a front door mat that is purple and has 2 big flowers in pink and red tones. I am at peace and feel the presence of God in my home. Life is peaceful at last.
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Hey Girls!

Omi message me your new address please. :D

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.
Master Member

Post by omalani »

4/14/17
I make this soup different everytime, but the things I always add are onions and frozen mixed veggies. the Minestroni I made the other day disappeared rapidly so I made a big pot with the same ingredients but crushed tomatoes instead of sauce. I also added cabbage and a tsp. of sweetner. I ate that soup years ago, called peel a pound soup. You can eat as much as you want and it only has LDL veggies. Life is sweet.
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11