sofrito recipe

All our yummy soup recipes!
omalani
Master Member

sofrito recipe

Post by omalani »

Sofrito
Sofrito is the secret ingredient in many Latin Caribbean dishes and it's so easy to make. It's a versatile, aromatic puree of tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, onions, and garlic. You may use a food processor or blender for desired reults. This recipe makes about 1 quart of sofrito.
Ingredients

•2 medium green peppers, seeds removed
•1 red sweet pepper, seeds removed
•2 large tomatoes
•2 medium onions, peeled
•1 head of garlic, peeled
•1 bunch cilantro leaves
•1/2 bunch parsley leaves optional (I like it with cilantro only)
Saute all ingredients in coconut or EVOO, let them cool and process them in food processor or blender. Put in small containers to freeze.

I omit the red peppers and use green tomatoes or tomatillos to get the verde or green sauce, I use the cilantro leaves and
stems because they have the flavor so why throw it away. I use the primo leaves for salsa and salads and when I get to the
end I use it for sofrito. It freezes well so you can use it in soups and stews with that tex-mex flavor.

Tonight's can can soup started with a can of buffalo wing spiced chicken pieces that I got on sale, long ago. Then I put frozen diced
onion, green pepper, parsley and celery mix. It costs more than the raw veggies but it's fast. Then I added some defrosted sofrito sauce,
1 can of partial drained navy beans and 2/3 can of rinsed black beans. I threw in some frozen corn and an avocado, defrosted and diced. I added more water as needed. A dash of cumin finished it off and it was great!!
jencita
Master Member

Re: sofrito recipe

Post by jencita »

Thanks for sharing - sounds amazing.