Master Member

Tuscan white bean soup

Post by omalani »

Tuscan white bean soup

1 tsp. EVOO
1/2 chopped sweet onion
1 carrot shredded
2 cups chopped kale or spinach
2 cans partially drained white beans (great northern or navy beans)
1/2 jar Cucina Toscana artichoke bruchetta sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onions, carrots and kale in EVOO till tender, add beans and sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add water or chicken broth
as needed to thin soup if it is too thick. Enjoy! =p~
Last edited by omalani on March 26th, 2014, 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11

chewy

Re: Tuscan white bean soup

Post by chewy »

what a delicious sounding recipe! thank you for sharing it?
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Definitely going to try this. Have all ingredients on hand
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi There. I am looking for a bean soup for lunch and found this one except I don't know what this item is. Cucina Toscana Artichoke Bruchetta sauce. I have never seen it in the market. What can i use ti replace it? judie
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Cucina Toscana Artichoke Bruchetta: means, Italitian cooking from the north of Italy, This is a dip or spread for bread/toast (bruchetta). I see it in my store in the "speciality" section of tomato sauces. Health Food section carries them too.
I just smash canned artichokes , with EVOO and chopped garlic, and eat on top of my corn thins. Also this is great on top of shredd zucchini. You can also buy marinated chokes in olive oil.

You can also take a 1/2 can of, no added sugar tomato sauce, and/or 1 TBSP paste, 1 can of artichokes ( rinsed well), chopped garlic and salt, bring it all to a boil and simmer to thickness desired. I am not a real big tomato sauce lover, but LOVE artichokes, fresh, canned, frozen, and marinated.
Using the tomato paste version: ! TBSP of paste, add all the other stuff and just add chicken broth ( veggie, water whatever) to just cover the ingredients and simmer until thick. Yo can always add more broth if you need to, to make if a sauce for something else.

Regarding soup: Have you tried Mary Simmons Chicka Pea Cilantro Soup yet? It's wonderful. I'll post it here for you. You don't even have to like cilantro to eat it. It's super easy to make too. I always keep some on hand now. I add my lean protein and chunky veggies to it for my main protein meal...

Ingredients:
1 1/2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 small yellow onion, sliced (approx. 1 cup)
2 cans of chick peas, drained (15 or 15.5 oz. each)
2 pints fat free chicken broth
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves (no need to chop them)

1. Heat the olive oil on medium/high in a large saucepan with a lid. Add the onion and sautee for 3 minutes, stirring.

2. Add the drained chickpeas and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes.

3. Uncover and add the cilantro. Cook for 2 more minutes and then remove from heat. Let it cool slightly and then totally blend until smooth, either in batches in the blender or with a potato masher. (Note: You'll get best results if you use a blender: either a regular blender or a hand-held immersion blender such as the "Braun Multiquick Hand Blender," so the cilantro is completely pureed with the onions and chickpeas in the soup. If you use a potato masher instead, I recommend finely dicing the onion and chopping the cilantro leaves as finely as you can prior to cooking. There is no need to chop the cilantro if using a blender.) Re-heat if necessary.

Tip: Eat a bowl of this soup 15 or 20 minutes prior to your main protein meal of the day. It helps you feel fuller and more satisfied for longer!

Zesti,
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Thank you so much. I will have to look for sauce in store. You know we dont have the great big markets up here. so we dont have a lot of choices. Maybe when I go to bemidji I can find it. It is a town about 100 miles south of us and has much bigger stores. When we moved here Our stores were very small and only 1 or 2 choices in each item now it has grown maybe 4 or 5 times as big. Any way thanks...judie
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Gosh Snowbirdie. I just read where you are from MINNESOTA! Gosh, I think you are lucky enough to get out to a store, let alone fine one under all that snow.
Sending you God's Hugs to keep you warm and safe. :ymhug: :ymhug:
Zesti
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

The snow plow has been working all day I think there must be a storm coming as that is what they do.They sent notes that they have no more room for snow and will be piling it into yards now. they made a seven foot pile of snow in my yard now i cant see the street anymore
Did same to neighbors. We always get a lot of snow but this is exceptional. We are in International Falls. Right on the border of canada. Its nice cause if i cant find what I want in our stores I cross border and shop over there. Maybe once or twice a month. We have to have a passport now or a nexis card or we cant cross. We used to just use our drivers license but no more. Summers are beautiful here usually in the 70's but can go up to 100. some summers dont get warm enough to go without a sweat shirt. We have a nice beach to go swimming but often the water doesn't get warm enough till August and then its time for snow. Were do you live?
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Snowbirdie, Do you see any green yet?? lol...
My mind is so busy with "What To Plant" in my garden this year. Still a little too cold to plant though, but more and more the sun is staying out here in good ole Virginia. I probably won't plant until May, but I am sure looking forward to getting out and getting my hands in dirt and NOT having to move any snow to do! it!!
Happy Spring!
Zesti
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

ha ha ha lol there is 4 feet of snow in my yard and piles at the street about 6 feet and where the plows pushed it maybe 7 ft. no garden to june. Unless we have a chilly summer then no garden. One never knows. I hope to put my fence up around garden and plant berry bushes around perimeter of garden. Oh well we shall see. Dont look like spring here. maybe 7 inches of snow on thursday with flurries till then. Judie
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

OH MY! DH is always telling me "I am full of hot air" so maybe I'll come your way and just EXHALE =))
I had fresh black berries all the time when we first moved here. Vines just hanging over our fence. I loved it! Then my neighbor decided to remove them, :(( I am seriously thinking of replanting. There is nothing like going outside and picking your own berries, in your own yard.
We had grape vines too. I was able to keep one section going. I wanted to have my own grape leaves for stuffed cabbage. I am hoping this past winter didn't kill it. I saw a "little" tell tale sign the other day of a little bit hanging on. But, even out temps are lower than usual this time of year. winter isn't over yet!

I am still making and enjoying the Israeli Chicapea Soup. Just can't get enough of it! Stay warm and cozy..
warm :ymhug: :ymhug:
Zesti
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

hi,
Is the chick pea recipe listed on here? I like chick peas maybe i will make some does it call for canned or dried beans? I have both. 7 more inches snow on thursday. My daughter lives in San Francisco and my son lives in north carolina and both have said that all there spring flowers and blossoms are done now. But I am not jealous I just love the snow and cold. I have a long ramp coming off my deck as my daughter is in a wheelchair . I put hanging baskets all down the rails and plant beans and cucumbers and flowers in them. I build an arch on each side and then tie them to meet at the top. also put ties up so beans can run up and hang down. Get a lot of beans that way. and cucumbers are great but they take gallons of water every day much more than the beans but they are worth it. So good and crispy. Not like the store bought. I cant get pumpkins or squash to grow. I plant them every year and every year I get nothing. I get tomatoes and onions . Well right now it is just garden dreams with all that snow LOL. Judie
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Here's the short cut viewtopic.php?f=17&t=346&hilit=Israeli+bean+soup

ok, I will post it too. It might seem like over-kill, but some days I can't find anything on this search engine that I am looking for...I know it's me...When I am hungry, I am just to impatient! This is my favorite soup! I even make it without the chicken broth. If I am out of that, I just use water. BUT!!
I haved learned that sauteing the onions makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD! now my thinking on that is: the darker the better!
Zest,

Mary Simmons Israeli Chickpea Soup receipe:

One of the most popular soups in the Holy Land is a unique blend of chickpeas (Garbanzo beans) and cilantro. It is prepared in large pots and cooked for several hours. My simple version of this exotic flavored soup is ready within 20 minutes!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 small yellow onion, sliced (approx. 1 cup)
2 cans of chick peas, drained (15 or 15.5 oz. each)
2 pints fat free chicken broth
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves (no need to chop them)

1. Heat the olive oil on medium/high in a large saucepan with a lid. Add the onion and sautee for 3 minutes, stirring.

2. Add the drained chickpeas and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes.

3. Uncover and add the cilantro. Cook for 2 more minutes and then remove from heat. Let it cool slightly and then totally blend until smooth, either in batches in the blender or with a potato masher. (Note: You'll get best results if you use a blender: either a regular blender or a hand-held immersion blender such as the "Braun Multiquick Hand Blender," so the cilantro is completely pureed with the onions and chickpeas in the soup. If you use a potato masher instead, I recommend finely dicing the onion and chopping the cilantro leaves as finely as you can prior to cooking. There is no need to chop the cilantro if using a blender.) Re-heat if necessary.

Tip: Eat a bowl of this soup 15 or 20 minutes prior to your main protein meal of the day. It helps you feel fuller and more satisfied for longer!
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Gee thanks for the recipe. I am going out to get the stuff to make for my dinner. I have to go into pantry and it is so cold out there i have to put on a sweat shirt so i dont freeze. But it is nice and warm in here. Thanks again. judie
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi I have kolbasi for the family do you think i could cook it in the soup or i guess cook it seperate. probably be too greasy to cook in soup.
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

hi folks i hate to keep bothering you all. Its been such a long time since i navigated this site and this is a new format for me I cant find anything. Please tell me where to find receipe fo spaghetti sauce. I had both the red and blue book but they are gone. I wonder if someone took them. thanks judie

I just had dinner. I made the chick pea soup. Boy was it good. My daughter just went to store to get me some more so i can make more tomorrow.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I use the pizza soup recipe for spahgetti sauce
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Would this recipe work with spinach instead of kale?

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Yes you can use spinach as well. Next time I make it I will use Zesti substitutes, as the specialty sauce is more expensive. the bruchetta sauce is like salsa with Italian flavors and the artichokes instead of Mexican spices. I applaud you for all that you have done while enduring this leg infection. You go GF.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Omi Thanks for bringing this recipe to the top back in Feb, I think. It's one of those receipes one can play with depending on the mood or "what's in the house cuz I don't feel like going shopping" days! I love those!!
LP, It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO nice to have you back! That Linda gal is a KEEPER, that's for sure!

These are some of the changes I have made on certain days, just because it's what I had in the house at the time. Just proves to me, with canned or frozen beans in the house. It's only me, my beans and my imagination..

Tuscan white bean soup
1 tsp. EVOO-................... I will use the oil from the jar of the marinated artichokes ( strained)....
1/2 chopped sweet onion -............. the darker the caramelize -zation! the better to me.
1 carrot shredded -......... I use 1/2 can rinsed and smashed. this helps to de-acid the tomato flavor-see tomatoes under the bruchetta sauce....chopped up little fresh carrots if I have them.
2 cups chopped kale ..I have used spinach, mustard greens and/or 1 cup of turnip greens. The turnip greens gave it a nice "spicy" bite to it. I love all greens so anything "green" can go here. Tuscan'eez use kale in everything! Pheasants and farmers grow it for centurys! it's like weeds there! A very "good for ya weed I might add..
2 cans partially drained white beans (great northern or navy beans).. I strain and rinse all canned things I use. Especially beans. I have used butter, pinto and garbanzo's, which ever is in the house. Oh, red beans too. I will smash about 1/4 of cup add to broth.. Just brings out the flavors in the broth or the bean I am using and helps enrich and thicken broth...
1/2 jar Cucina Toscana artichoke bruchetta sauce -...I used - 1 cans of fire roasted or plain tomatoes,(save the juice to thin later or not)... added 1 heaping tsp of marjoram. helps to sweeten up the tomatoes without using sugar like the old days. But sugar helps to "de-acid the tomato ( so does baking soda but I stick to the carrot idea. In my mind it works!) and so I use the smashed canned carrot, or grated carrot. I am not an oregano fan, but add this to it if you and/or basil also..just taste the oil in the jar and see what you like the best of and add more from your cuppard..if ya have it...Then I add 2 jars of the marinated artichokes - strained and chopped "chunky style"first...or 1 can chokes hearts in water.
If I only have these...I strain, let sit in clean water for about 10 minutes and then chop chunky. For that I will just use plain evoo. IF I AM EVER without that in my house :(( :(( If I use the oil based, I just starin ahead and save for later...I just like to keep control of the "fat" I use is all. The flavors are wonderful to me..
Salt and pepper to taste -
Saute the onions, carrots and kale in EVOO till tender, add beans and sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add water or chicken broth.
... I will also add roasted red peppers at the end. YUMMY YUMMY TO THE TUMMY!- and I have also just used the peppers because I had no tomatoes. Adding the juice of the can to thin IF NECESSARY
as needed to thin soup if it is too thick. Enjoy!

..Sometimes, I just let mine simmer down to a really REALLY thick consistency. This makes a wonderful
topping for my corn thins, fried eggs and spaghetti squash. OR spiraled zucchini !!!
This just shows one how they can take a really GREAT and SIMPLE AS IT IS SOUP and "change it up"
a little AND end up writing a really long hopefully NOT CONFUSING post![/color]
Zesti,
P.S I tried using color instead of the .......'s but I couldn't get it to show up..