Creamy Chickpea and Rosemary Soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
steffie
New, but learning

Post by steffie »

I haven't  tried this soup yet, but it sounds so good, especially if you like chickpeas. I found it on the Recipezaar web site.

3 T. olive oil
             5 cloves garlic, chopped
             1 T. rosemary, finely chopped
             1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
             3 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
             4 cups fat-free chicken broth or vegetable broth
             2 T. lemon juice

Heat olive oil, in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic,rosemary and crushed red pepper. Cook about 1 min., or until garlic starts to brown. Add the chickpeas and cook 2 min., stirring constantly. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 min. Cool slightly. Transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to pan, and add lemon juice, and serve.
(I would probably cut back on the red pepper. I don't like things too spicy).

jeandolleen

Re: Creamy Chickpea and Rosemary Soup

Post by jeandolleen »

Hi Steffie, this looks good.  I think I will make this tomorrow and I will let you know how it is.    Jean
niki

Post by niki »

hi steffie...this is actually israeli chick pea soup with different spices..when i make isreali chickpea soup,i use basil instead of parsley.....i think the next time i make it,i'll use garlic instead of onion....i used to make pasta with chick peas using chicken broth, garlic and basil...that's why i like basil in the israeli chickpea soup....but if i use garlic instead of onion it'll taste even more like what i used to make..and if i do that,i'm going to saute the garlic whole in the olive oil so it doesn't burn and it'll give it more flavor....i like that idea....because you puree  it anyway......and once you guys make this and transfer it into the blender and back,you'll want to get what a lot of the people on these boards have..a braun hand mixer...it makes these pureed soups one pot easy.........my favorite thing....thank you............niki    
Last edited by niki on August 17th, 2006, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeandolleen

Post by jeandolleen »

Hi Steffie,  just wanted you  to know that I made this recipe and it is soooo good.  One thing I did different was I only pureed half of the chickpeas.  You need to try it.  thanks .  Jean