Let's Do Lunch Community

See your doctor for approval before starting any new eating program.
The Key to Let's Do Lunch is to "Add a Little Something Fattening" to something nonfattening, to make it Taste Great! Read the New Red Book to find out how this is done!

Author believes we are put on this earth to have a chance to love The Lord. Other than that, we are here to help God bless as many other people as possible.

It is currently

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Here's a really delicious fall soup. When I lived in England, parsnips were very popular. This side of the Atlantic, I find many people have never tried them. They look like big carrots the color of butter. (If they're extremely large, they may have a very hard woody core which should be cut out before cooking.) They have a unique flavor--kind of like a cross between a sweet carrot and a potato. Try this soup! It's delicious, filling, makes a good appetizer or a good main course. This makes 4 servings.

INGREDIENTS:
Olive Oil spray
1 pound of parsnips, peeled and chopped into 1/2" pieces
1 whole head of garlic- keep together, but simply slice off the very top of the head, only enough to show the tops of the cloves
1 single rib/stick of celery, finely chopped
1 small onion, cut into thin slices
5 cups of broth- either vegetable broth or chicken broth--your choice!!!
1 15-oz. can Navy Beans or Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
8 oz. button mushrooms, washed and sliced
1 green onion (a.k.a. spring onion), thinly sliced- optional but good
Salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
1. If you want to use minimal oil, line a baking tray with parchment paper. Alternatively, spray the baking sheet with olive oil spray. Place the chopped parsnips on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the top of the garlic bulb with olive oil, and wrap it up tightly in aluminum foil. Put the garlic on the baking sheet with the parsnips. Place in pre-heated 400 degree F oven for 25-30 minutes until lightly browned, turning the parsnips every 10 minutes. Remove and set aside. Squeeze the garlic out of the papery cloves when it's cool enough to handle and set aside.

2. Spray a medium/large saucepan with olive oil spray. Heat on medium/high and sautee the onion for 3 minutes. Add the celery and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the parsnips, roasted garlic, and 3 cups of broth. Stir well, and bring to a boil.

3. Once it reaches a gentle boil, add the beans, remaining broth, and salt & pepper to taste. Stir well, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for at least 5 minutes. Then you need to puree the soup. The smoother the texture the better. I let it slightly cool and then do it in batches in my Vita-Mix for a silky smooth consistency. You can also use a hand-held immersion blender like a Braun Multi-Quick if you prefer.

4. Right before serving, cook the sliced mushrooms in a small non-stick frying pan until they soften and start releasing their liquid. Add the green onion slices and a pinch of salt. Cook for 30 - 40 seconds, and then stir them into the soup. Yum!

Profile Send private message  

This is a MUST have for me. I love parsnips and roasted garlic. I can't wait to try. I know it going to be good. Thanks Mary
Zesti

This will be a keeper for me. I'm out of parsnips, but just 5 minutes away. If the parsnips make it into the soup, well, maybe I'll use restraint. Thanks for your new recipes. :) JF

Little Mary you always introduce me to new things. :) Tell me, could I use parsnips like hashbrowns? I was using the jicama like that for awhile but finding jicama these days is proving impossible. I'll have to check with publix and see if they have parsnips. Will they be near the carrot section?

Blessed and Loved,
LP

LP- I wonder if they've had a bad year for jicama growers perhaps?! I haven't had any for a while either! I've used things like turnip and butternut squash in lieu of potatoes in recipes with good success. I haven't tried with parsnips.

Yup, if you shop at Publix, if they have parsnips they will be in the fresh produce section, probably in bags near the bags of whole carrots. Fall is the time of year they're most prevalent in the grocery store, it seems. If you see some, you should try them! In the UK, roasted parsnips are a must-have with a big roast dinner. Toss slices in a bit of olive oil, add a few mixed dried herbs of your choice or alternatively sprinkle with cinnamon or pumpkin pie spices, and "hey presto..." you've got a yummy veggie side dish. :-*

Mary

Thanks Mary! :D I'll look for them and let you know!

Blessed and Loved,
LP

Hi, All!

Try and buy parsnips (or any veggies) unpackaged. I know Kroger never packages their fresh veggies (except those lettuce packages, etc.) and you can buy some beautiful parsnips. Don't get the ones that are extra large, as they may be 'woody' inside. Get the small to medium, which are crispy and sweet. I sliced them thinner than French fries and roasted them till they were browned and, oh my!, were they delish!! Anyway, if you can get your root veggies from farmer's markets or fresh food markets, do that rather than buy them pre-packaged.

Pat

LOL- Patsyfay, I WISH I could buy loose veggies or go to a farmers market! I can buy unpackaged onions, tomatoes, and cucumbers, but other things like okra, carrots and parsnips are always already bagged at all of the grocery stores where I live. It's something like 140 miles to the nearest farmers market too, and it was closed when I tried to go there a couple of weeks ago. Very disappointing, but I was told there was nothing in season in South Florida in October. It must be really handy to be able to pick and choose exactly what you want, especially if you only want one or two parsnips or carrots instead of a whole pound of them. I'm envious of the choice and variety some people have, and whenever I find myself on a road trip looking at the fresh produce section in a Whole Foods market, I just stop and stare at all of the amazing colorful fruits and vegetables. Oh well. You have to make do with what you can get your hands on, right? I think there is a Kroger near where my mother lives in Texas. When I visit her in January, I'll be sure to check out their produce department!
Mary

I love parsnips, even the big woody ones! They slice up much easier on my mandolin for making chips.
Man, oh MAN are those good. I just can't get enough!
I love this recipe Mary. My Mom used to make it and add a potato to keep the parsnips thick and creamy and never added the garlic. Without the potato and with the garlic. It is just such a warm
"compfy" memory. This might take the #1 spot for favorite soup!!
Zesti

Zesti wrote:
I love parsnips, even the big woody ones! They slice up much easier on my mandolin for making chips.
My Mom used to make it and add a potato to keep the parsnips thick and creamy Zesti

I love using pureed white beans instead of potatoes in soup recipes. They do just the trick! I hope you enjoy your soup.

Mary

Mary,
My whole life I have eaten beans and never thought to cream them and use them as my "rue".
gosh, the simplist things is life huh!
I am REALLY enjoying my parsnip soup without the potatoes.
You know, I don't even buy potatoes anymore. I used to buy a 5lb bag, the yukons,, the red, purple you name it potato. Now, when my DH says he is in the mood for a potato. I just buy one.
I am even drying some of that for him to use in his stews so as not to waste anything.
So, one little ole potato goes a long way around here.
I am still so happy with my vita mis too. I h ave to "trick" DH with the gravy "issues". But with my vita mix. It gets all the little tiny lumps out and is as smooth as if I used flour..That's a good thing.
Zesti