Roasted Parsnip Soup with Garlic and Mushrooms

All our yummy soup recipes!
Zesti
Master Member

Re: Roasted Parsnip Soup with Garlic and Mushrooms

Post by Zesti »

This is a MUST have for me. I love parsnips and roasted garlic. I can't wait to try. I know it going to be good. Thanks Mary
Zesti
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

This will be a keeper for me. I'm out of parsnips, but just 5 minutes away. If the parsnips make it into the soup, well, maybe I'll use restraint. Thanks for your new recipes. :) JF
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Little Mary you always introduce me to new things. :) Tell me, could I use parsnips like hashbrowns? I was using the jicama like that for awhile but finding jicama these days is proving impossible. I'll have to check with publix and see if they have parsnips. Will they be near the carrot section?

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by LittlePrincess »

Thanks Mary! :D I'll look for them and let you know!

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by patsyfay »

Hi, All!

Try and buy parsnips (or any veggies) unpackaged. I know Kroger never packages their fresh veggies (except those lettuce packages, etc.) and you can buy some beautiful parsnips. Don't get the ones that are extra large, as they may be 'woody' inside. Get the small to medium, which are crispy and sweet. I sliced them thinner than French fries and roasted them till they were browned and, oh my!, were they delish!! Anyway, if you can get your root veggies from farmer's markets or fresh food markets, do that rather than buy them pre-packaged.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I love parsnips, even the big woody ones! They slice up much easier on my mandolin for making chips.
Man, oh MAN are those good. I just can't get enough!
I love this recipe Mary. My Mom used to make it and add a potato to keep the parsnips thick and creamy and never added the garlic. Without the potato and with the garlic. It is just such a warm
"compfy" memory. This might take the #1 spot for favorite soup!!
Zesti
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Mary,
My whole life I have eaten beans and never thought to cream them and use them as my "rue".
gosh, the simplist things is life huh!
I am REALLY enjoying my parsnip soup without the potatoes.
You know, I don't even buy potatoes anymore. I used to buy a 5lb bag, the yukons,, the red, purple you name it potato. Now, when my DH says he is in the mood for a potato. I just buy one.
I am even drying some of that for him to use in his stews so as not to waste anything.
So, one little ole potato goes a long way around here.
I am still so happy with my vita mis too. I h ave to "trick" DH with the gravy "issues". But with my vita mix. It gets all the little tiny lumps out and is as smooth as if I used flour..That's a good thing.
Zesti