spaghetti/ marinara sauce

All our yummy soup recipes!
Zesti
Master Member

spaghetti/ marinara sauce

Post by Zesti »

Snowbirdie,
I brought this up for you. It's pretty much the same as mine but I don't add splenda or ed pepper.
I use canned tomatoes that DO NOT have added sugar listed on the can's ingredients.
I will use - concentrated "just grape juice" ( no added sugar kind. I use Welch's) or if I don't have that. I shred a carrot up. Both will help to neutralize the acid in the tomatoes, smooth's the sauce out.
Chef's I know, use baking powder. I prefer the juice or the carrot.

If you have your own spaghetti recipe. Just try using that. Only get the cans of tomatoes without added sugar and don't add sugar on your own. Even if, when you buy tomatoes without added sugar in the ingredients. AND, end up adding sugar. To me, at least that is a better option/choice. As you are in control of how much. That's the important thing to me. Hey, I have been without sugar, juice and carrots in the house, but I had some grapes..guess what? yep, in they went!!
Now, when I think sugar. I don't think of the white stuff anymore!!
Zesti,
P.S This is from the Board Index's section, listed under "sauces" and almost one of the last pages..Z

Carolyn's Marinara

1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
2-3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
2 small cans (6 oz.) tomato paste (or 1- 6oz. can)
4 cups water
1 Tablespoon dried Basil
1 Tablespoon dried Oregano
1 Tablespoon dried Parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons Splenda
1 1/2 teaspoons Crushed Red Pepper (less if you don't like it spicy)
snowbirdie
Master Member

Re: spaghetti/ marinara sauce

Post by snowbirdie »

thank you so much. This is the recipe i always use. just one my mom used and the one i have always used so i guess i am ok.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Your OK and I'm OK, as long as we keep it LDL OK!
I use my Mom's recipe too. I just don't add the sugar like she did. AND, I make a bunch and freeze.
When dh wants a spaghetti dinner. That's when I add the meats (italian sausages) or meat balls.
It keeps things simple for me. K.I.S.S ( Keeping It Simple Sis'ta).
Zesti
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

thank you thank you thank you! We are waiting for another 7 inches of snow this evening. Mostly have sauce cooking but a show called recipes to riches is on and i really enjoy program. It comes out of winipeg. so on the ads i run out and add to my sauce lol
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I love the KISS idea. Never heard that said that way. I never save complicated recipes. Thanks. :ymhug: JF
SweetRose7

Post by SweetRose7 »

I saw this recipe and I will make it! I so want to be on the boards again, and want to see others, too. All of these posts are old and would love to see new ones! Does anyone know about the new yellow book, when it will be out?

Let's get these boards running again!

SweetRose7 @};-
SweetRose7