Squash or Pumpkin Soup w/Parsnip

All our yummy soup recipes!
nyKath

Squash or Pumpkin Soup w/Parsnip

Post by nyKath »

Squash or Pumpkin Soup w/Parsnip (a twist on the butternut squash soup recipe here)

1 Tbl olive oil
1/2 a large chopped onion
2 cloves of minced garlic
2- l/2-pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, baked until done OR 1 small pie pumpkin to yield 3 cups of chunks, baked until done, then seeds removed from pulp
1 large parsnip, peeled and roasted until until light brown and soft
5-6 cups (or more) vegetable broth or broth of choice
2+ cans of drained white beans of your choice
Few pieces of fresh sage or 2 tsps. dried sage
1 Tbl of fresh basil or 2 tsps. dried
Salt and pepper

Heat oil in large pot and add chopped onions, saute until tender.  Add garlic, stir for 1-2 minutes.  Add squash or pumpkin and parsnip, 5-6 cups of broth, and 1 can of the beans (or more) to the onions and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer to blend the flavors. Cool slightly.

Working in batches, puree soup in blender until as smooth or chunky as you like, saving an extra can of beans or more to add after the blending is done. (I was able to just use the stick blender in the pot as the roasted vegetables were very soft.) Return puree to pot.  Add your extra beans. Add the basil and sage and lots of salt and pepper. Heat thru.

My soup ending up being very thick, almost like a stew, and it had a wonderful sweetness from the squash and parsnip. Nice way to celebrate fall NY style! If it's too thick, add more broth or water. If too thin, add some more bean puree or some extra pumpkin pulp, another roasted parsnip or some roasted carrots, or even canned pumpkin. Squash soups are also extra nice with a bit of cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar sprinkled on top of your serving before eating. Enjoy! ........nyKath
Buttercup

Re: Squash or Pumpkin Soup w/Parsnip

Post by Buttercup »

which do you like best?  The butternut squash or the pumpkin soup?  I'm thinking about making a batch for my husband's whole family for Thanksgiving.  How many bowls does this recipe fill?
Buttercup  8)
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hey Butter...I happen to like pumpkin more as I find it gives the soup a little more body and richness with a fresh cooked pumpkin, but they are very similar. ...I"m not good with quantities as I happen to eyeball everything, but I make this in a medium size stock pot and probably end up with 8 cups or so of soup once the beans and pumpkin get blended in, maybe a little more? You're not going to want to stuff your company with a huge bowl of soup as an appetizer, anyway; it should just be enough to be a teaser to the rest of the meal. Pass the pepper grinder when serving - it really brings out the taste. (Love that you can buy different salts and pepper blends already in their own little grinder. So easy!) And make your soup the day before so it has a chance to ripen and you can get the seasonings perfect the next day when you reheat it. Mangia, and blessings all around! ...NYKath
Last edited by nyKath on November 20th, 2006, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks, nKath.  I'd forgotten about the popcorn.  Glad you reminded me.
Buttercup
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Ack! That's a typo, Butter, and I'm going to change it. Should be when the "beans and pumpkin get blended in"...not popcorn! Sorry...:) ....nyKath
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Oh, that's okay.  I thought you meant that you put popcorn on top when you got ready to serve it.  I think I read that about another soup. 

Buttercup  :D
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

I can't find a fresh pumpkin any place.  Do you think canned pumpkin will taste as good?  Buttercup  8)
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hey again, Butter! Any of the winter squashes out now would make wonderful soup. A big blue Hubbard squash would be quite nice. They also make a wonderful pie if you have no pumpkin and they're loaded with fiber. If you get one big enough, you could use half of it for your soup and save the other half in pieces in Baggies in your freezer to use for pie (crustless, of course!!) later on or to make pumpkin smoothies or the pumpkin/tofu pudding..... Mmmm....enjoy! And yes, canned pumpkin would also be just fine if you need to take a short cut. ...Happy Thanksgiving! ...NYKath
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

thanks, nyKath.  I will do that.  Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
Buttercup
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

So, what's the bean trick, little Mary?
Buttercup
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Buttercup;
Little Mary purees the beans so that her husband won't know he is enjoying BEANS. (Which he claims to hate.)
NJ
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

I like it better with the beans pureed too.
Buttercup