White Bean Soup question for marysimmons

All our yummy soup recipes!
AzRuth
New, but learning

White Bean Soup question for marysimmons

Post by AzRuth »

marysimmons or anybody with ideas,
I have a couple cooking-type questions that I thought you could help me with.   And maybe it will help someone else also.  I tried the your White Bean Soup last week for the 1st time and it was just not flavorful enough to suit my taste.  I am use to using a ham hock for flavoring the white beans, and I know that would not be LDL approved because of the fat content.  Would you have any other seasoning ideas or suggestions??  Also  would you please explain to me what a shallot is and how to find them.  I'm am assuming you get it in the produce dept.  Thought you might be able shed some light on this as I'm looking at a recipe that calls for this.  Thanks a bunch for all your recipes and hard work.  I have tried many of them and most are keepers.  My husband is a rather picky eater and not very adventuresome with food.  Thanks again.  God Bless!
Ruth
Last edited by Queenie on August 11th, 2008, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robnveronica
Master Member

Re: Cooking questions for marysimmons

Post by robnveronica »

how about some lean ham for flavoring, or some garlic or chili powder, or boil in beef/chicken/turkey broth?
Just a few Ideas. Good luck!
imkay

Post by imkay »

shallots are in the produce section. 
here is what they look like

http://www.shallot.com/

i love them.  they have a great flavor. 

and i would recommend niki's meatballs for your soup.  they are great!! or even some grilled chicken would be tasty.
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi Ruth! Shallots are in where you buy the fresh garlic bulbs. Sometimes they're sold loose and sometimes you buy a small bag of them. They cost more than garlic usually. They have flavor that's milder than garlic or regular onion, closer to scallions, I think. If you ever can't find any, then regular onions or scallions will do just fine.... I also didn't find the plain bean soup flavorful (and I had blended in extra bleans, too, and left some floating) and am not sure how to 'oomph' the flavor as I don't eat meat. I'm inclined to add more sauteed onions and garlic and maybe some dried sage, more fresh black pepper, and maybe a little heat with cayenne pepper or Thai chili pepper paste. Will report back if my new and improved version passes muster! :) Good luck to you! ......NYKath
TNangela

Post by TNangela »

Ruth,
My husband was used to ham hocks in his beans also, and I found a healthier substitue with very similar flavor.  Smoked turkey drums.....they taste a lot like ham.  He enjoys eating them in or out of soups as the smoked flavor reminds him of country ham.
ANG
Tori

Post by Tori »

Great idea, Ang! I never would have thought to go the smoked turkey route! Gonna have to try this myself. My hubby thinks the white bean soup is a bit bland as well, so I have tried different things to spice it up. Smoked turkey added sounds wonderful!
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

I LOVE smoked turkey drums, but when I first started LDL I checked and they contain sugar, so I've stayed away from them.

I use them in my greens, and I can't tell that they aren't ham in this dish.  I've not made greens in about 6 months.

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
abundantlyblessed

Post by abundantlyblessed »

Please forgive me for asking this question, but I've just got to know.

What are smoked turkey drums?  Are they drumsticks?  Drumettes?
???
Curious,
Michele
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Michelle,

They are smoked turkey legs - they taste scrumptious!  You do have to cook them - I boiled them until they were tender.

They aren't in all grocery stores - in my area I've only found them at Food Lion.  Don't know if this helps or not.

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
abundantlyblessed

Post by abundantlyblessed »

It does help.  Thanks!

Michele
TEAFORTWO

Post by TEAFORTWO »

What about Emeril's Seasonings, I use his Italian Essence seasoning on lots of things, mostly soups. There is no sugar, and no sodium (I watch for my blood pressure), so I think it is safe. I put it in almost all the soups I make from the boards! Especially the cream of mushroom soup. Yum! 8)
niki

Post by niki »

i had a multi pack of these seasonings in my hand one day at the store(i think at big lot)and i think that there was one variety that wasn't that good for let's do lunch......BUT,i don't remember that clearly....the next time i go to the supermarket,i'll look at the different varieties.....you don't want maltodextrin or any other hidden sugars or starches....if mary sees this post,she'll be able to answer you,because she's way more familiar with ALL kinds of seasonings than i am....niki 
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

T42;

Could you list the ingredients here?