Israeli Chickpea Soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
DEBBIEWEBE

Re: Israeli Chickpea Soup

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Hi Brenda....not Mary but I think you need to remove the stems.  I just cut the leaves off the stems with scissors....it goes really fast.  Ive just made my third pot of this soup today and every pot is as good as the last!!! I LOVE THIS SOUP!
Debbie
iluvsoup

Post by iluvsoup »

Thanks Debbie!!  I just finished the pot and just need to cool it abit and then blend it up.  It sure is good!  I didn't think I liked chickpeas either!!  But I eat alot of beans these days I didn't think I liked.  I've really acquired a taste for them!! 
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Brenda - I take a scissors and start snipping from the top leaves - while I'm doing this, I don't worry about the stems.  As I get further along, I watch them, but truthfully, not much...  I have a hand-held immersion blender (actually, I now have two!) and everything blends up.  Makes an "easy to make soup" even easier!

Carolyn
Last edited by Queenie on April 26th, 2008, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Vernswifevickie

Post by Vernswifevickie »

I finally tried this soup and OH MY GOONESS!!! It is absolutely scrumptious and so very easy to make! I am going to be making this ALOT!
Vickie
Wife to Vern
Mom to Chris, Courtney & Colin
Grandma Honey to lil Miss Autumn
Daughter of the King!
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST............THIS IS MY FAVORITE LDL SOUP!!!!!  SADLY ITS BURIED SO IM BRINGING IT BACK UP FOR ALL THE NEW PEOPLE

Love and God Bless
Debbie
Tina K

Post by Tina K »

Can't wait to try this! It's looks fantastic!!
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

This is a wonderfully satisfying and tasty soup.  It's light, yet it fills you up. 
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Bringing this back up again.  It is simple and filling AND is good cold for summertime enjoyment.  Kinda like a variation on hummus.

Thank you for this staple, Little Mary!
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Absolutely!  Mine always turns out solid after it has been refrigerated and I can scoop it and eat it like hummus.  I also enjoy it cold with diced up cucumbers and tomatoes like a gazpacho or tabbouleh.  Also great with the addition of a few raisins and sauteed onions, and either cumin or garam masala to make it more Middle Eastern or Indian.

My Publix brand lentils came with a recipe for Lentil Tabbouleh that I'm looking forward to trying.  I got the ingredients today.  I'll post this under a new topic, but here it is so you won't have to go looking for it.

Lentil Tabbouleh

2 large bunches fresh Parsley
3 cups cooked & drained Lentils (follow package directions and cook until JUST al dente -- GG)
2 cups shredded Carrots
1/4 cup EVOO
    Juice of one Lemon
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
Salt to taste

Chop parsley finely (about 2 cups).  In a bowl with a tight fitting lid, toss parsley together with lentils and carrots.  Blend dressing ingredients together, pour over the lentils and vegetables.  Cover and toss to combine.  Chill at least 1 hour.  Makes 6 cups.

Note:  Some tabbouleh recipes call for diced firm fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions.

*update- I make this frequently now. Always add sliced grape tomatoes & diced cucumbers to make it lighter & stretch it !  Yum! *love*
Last edited by Gwennaford on December 10th, 2010, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
hopefull

Post by hopefull »

Loved the Isreali Chickpea soup.
Also Gwen I love that lentil toubouli....... I so enjoy trying all these wonderful recipes! What a way to eat. So good and healthy also. I am so thankful for this woe
Gene

Post by Gene »

Little Mary,
I am with your husband, I like it to best also.

ICL

Gene
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Wow, this is wonderful and very versatile. I'm going to use it for a base. I coarse chopped some crisp tender broccoli mixed it with the soup and sprinkled a little lemon pepper on top. Great substitute for crean of broccoli soup. Then I added some black bean and corn salad to a cup and it was great. The possibilites are endless, but my stomach is full!! Thanks again Mary.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Ok, so I saved this recipe over 4 years ago with good intensions of making it "someday".
But with all the talk about it lately I determined to make it SOMEDAY SOON!
Well yesterday hubby offered to cook beans so I asked if he would pressure cook the 2# of chickpeas.
They were still cooking when I got home so when they cooled I put them in the frig.
Tonight when I got home, I sauteed some onions, peppers and all the leftover carrots I had.
Added to that some diced celery and thin sliced a small zucchini.
In another pot, I put 1/2 of the cold garbanzos and used a stick blender to cram them.
Turned the heat on under the beans and added about 1/2 box of chicken stock and loosely chopped mustard greens.
That is what I had on hand and hubby says cilantro tastes like soap to him.
When that was hot, I added the veggies. I had to reread the recipe for spices. None listed so I was dubious about the taste. I only added salt and pepper.

All I can say is "What was I waiting for????"
This soup was sooooo good and 2 small bowls had me feeling stuffed!
That's a first!
Definitely gonna make this regularly!
Thanks for sharing Mary!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Did you put some in a jar to store? I put boiling water in a clean jar and let it set, when the leftover soup is hot, I pour the water out, fill it with hot soup and screw the hot lid on. I then put it in the fridge. I especially like the spaghetti sauce jars because they have tops than indent when there is a vaccum. When I open the jar I can hear the pop and I know it is good. I like the cup markings on the jar too. I have a jar of hot pumpkin smoothie in the fridge for tomorrow. I love my pressure cooker and I make big batches of beans and soup now. I love your spin on the Israeli soup. Did you leave the veggies chunky or blend them up too? I found the dried chickpea at Save a Lot in the Mexican section. Cilantro has a distinctive flavor, you like it or not!! Life is spicy.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I left the veggies chunky.
I put the other half of the beans in the freezer.
The rest of the soup is going with me to work.
Not much left over to store at this house.
Last edited by LINDA RN on April 3rd, 2014, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I cooked up some garbanzos in my pressure cooker. So I am making some of this soup! It is great for chowders without using dairy or potatoes. As I read through the posts I was reminded of the corn chowder and the time I added steamed broccoli. I will make the corn chowder cuz it always fills me up. It is also vegan. Let get cookin' on LDL. Make a post on your favorite recipe and it will bring it to the top. Life is good.
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11