Israeli Chickpea Soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
niki

Re: Israeli Chickpea Soup

Post by niki »

hey everyone.....a few days ago, i tried mary's white bean soup and today i made the israeli chickpea soup.....this is SO delicious..you HAVE to try them both...if you don't,you don't know what you're missing(actually.i think i like the chickpea soup a little better because the flavor from the chick peas is just great)....i'm going to buy dried chick peas and make a big pot from scratch to get myself started on freezing for the summer..i like them both because they're like allowable cream soups...i didn't realize that by looking at the recipes.....meanwhile,(duh)i should have realized that this was the consistency when i read the different recipes for pureed beans on the tops of various casseroles...the closest i got to cream soups when i was a kid were avgolemono soups with chicken and with lamb......i'm going to buy dried white beans and do the same with the white soup...and THEN i'll go back to my classic mediterranean bean soups(for a while)...niki
niki

Post by niki »

thanks for thinking of me mary...i checked that recipe...the only corn i like to eat is corn on the cob..i hadn't really thought about it before looking at.this recipe...and i can't wait for it to be in season right now on long island...i'm going to buy loads of it and freeze as much as i can....i'm just starting to see watermelon on sale also....and i saw how you wrote that your husband doesn't realize he's eating beans because they're pureed...i like when there are still small pieces in the soup...i meant to mention to you how perfect the braun hand mixer is for these soups..i've had one for years and it's great(NOW,i'll be using it a LOT more than before).....and now that youv'e mentioned putting stuff in these types of soups,i might try a little experimenting of my own...in the chickpea soup....maybe broccoli or cauliflower(i saw your recipe for faux mashed potatoes on the boards)and maybe some boneless chicken breast pieces.....haha...maybe i'll marinate the chicken breasts (in lemon juice,small amount of oil,onion,oregano,salt and pepper),forman grill it and THEN add it to that soup and simmer for awhile..............i like that idea....thanks for giving it to me.....i like to scroll through the boards for recipes.....i saw one of your really old ones for salmon wrapped in foil with a sprig of mint...this caught my eye because of the mint.....my father has it growing wild all over his property..the next time i go over there i'm going to bring some home and plant it..i did that once and planted it in a problem space that only seems to grow weeds and it died...this time i'm going to plant it in a different couple of spots so it'll start spreading...ahah...i'll put some near my grape vine....yes.........i grew greek oregano one year but then it didn't come back and i didn't buy any again....i'm going to buy some and plant it in that same spot near my grape vine..............thanks for the ideas...............niki   
niki

Post by niki »

and you know,mary,i used to put other types of fish in foil like that...but i used to put it on the barbeque and it used to be delicious...i'm going to try salmon and also maybe tilapia like that.......it's a delicious change from my more traditional preparation of fish....i made a pot of bean soup the other day and used black beans and red beans and they were a really good combo....i particularly like black beans because they bring a lot of flavor to the soup............and i simmered the beans for a few hours and the soup was great......for people making a bean soup their only source of protein on certain days,i highly recommend using dried beans and mixing the beans to improve the quality of the protein............niki       
imkay

Post by imkay »

i am bringing this back to the top because if you have not tried this recipe you MUST!!! first of all it was soooo easy to make!  and then the taste.  well words fail me.  just do it!
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

I'm bringing this to the top again because I've made it twice in the last two weeks - Mary, this soup is absolutely AWESOME!!  The only thing that I do differently is that I saute some minced garlic with the onions...

Yummmmmmmm!  Thank you again, girl!!

Love,
Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
itsmimi

Post by itsmimi »

I will add my words of praise for this soup.  I think I could eat it every single day for a year without getting tired of it.  It's beauty is its simplicity.  Thank you.

Mimi
carbonite

Post by carbonite »

Holy moly, Mary.  I made this Israeli Chickpea Soup this evening and man is it ever good.  I had not been a fan of chickpeas before(i had them around for salads only).  I tried this and am a believer in them now.  Thanks for cranking this one out.  I could eat my weight in this stuff.  :-)
sahara
New, but learning

Post by sahara »

I made a pot of this soup and I liked it very much.  I am surprised at how easy it is to make homemade soup.  It's nearly as quick as opening a couple of cans of soup.  This is great!  sahara
niki

Post by niki »

hi sahara...this is my favorite pureed soup.....love it.....if you're looking for easy soups,look for my recipe for greek bean soup...you can make it with any beans you like or happen to have in the house......just like israeli chickpea soup,it's not much harder than opening a can of soup....eating beans and fruit REALLY helps keep your blood sugars stable and keeps you full and satisfied...............enjoy..........niki
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Okay how long have I been here and I just made a pot of this soup for the first time tonight and I can tell you its fantastic.  I used both onion and garlic and cilantro and after cooking it for 10 mins I blended it in my Vitamixer and the flavor is amazing. This was so fast and easy.  I can totally imagine this soup as a base for many different soups.  Its a defineate must try.  Thanks Little Mary for bringing this to the LDL boards for everyone to enjoy.
Love and God Bless
Debbie
Last edited by DEBBIEWEBE on April 12th, 2008, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Debbie - I can't believe you haven't tried this before now - I also add garlic to the recipe (sorry Gene!!).  It's super tasty, very easy, and very quick to make.  I probably make it once a month or so...  Mmmmmmmmmm - I totally agree with you!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Carolyn,
As much hummus as I eat you woulda thought it would have peeked my interest sooner.  It has almost a buttery nutty taste to it. YUMMMMMMMM!!!!
iluvsoup

Post by iluvsoup »

Hi Mary,
I have a question for you.  I made this soup and I loved it by the way.  In fact, I am making another batch right now.  But I was wondering, since the recipe calls for "cilantro leaves", do I have to take the leaves off the stems?  Or can I just use the whole thing?  I took all the leaves off the stems last time, but it would be easier not to.  Just wondering.  Thanks again so much for all you wonderful recipes.
Brenda