Ladies Night Soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
Tori

Ladies Night Soup

Post by Tori »

When I went over to visit my mom last month, I decided to spoil her a bit. I took over a tub of "girly" things, and we had ourselves a ladies night. I gave her a pedicure and a foot massage, and smeared all sorts of girly smelling lotions on her aching feet. LOL!

Before we got to that though, I decided to cook dinner for her. I went through her cupboards and fridge while she was in the shower, and came up with a delicious soup. Since it was created for our ladies night, I named it "Ladies Night Soup".  How original, eh? ;D

I've made it additional times, and have added different ingredients here and there. This is a very versatile soup! I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2-1 lb. meat, cooked and cubed (I used leftover turkey this night)
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 3/4 green pepper, cut into large chunks
  • 1 large roma tomato, diced
  • 2 large stalks fresh celery, largely diced
  • 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
  • 2 cans organic broth (I used 1 beef, and 1 chicken)
  • 1 can tomato sauce (no sugar added)
  • 1 lb. bag frozen chinese style vegetables
  • 1 cup dried lentils
  • 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp. sage
  • 1 tsp. tumeric
  • 1 tsp. cajon seasoning
  • Palmful of steak seasoning

Heat olive oil in the bottom of a large soup/stock pot. Add cubed meat, garlic, and onions. Sautee about 5 minutes, or until garlic is browned, and onions are translucent. Add 1/2 can broth, remaining fresh veggies, and your choice of soup spices. (I used the spices listed above - a sprinkle of this, a dash of that ... you know how it goes!) Sautee for an additional 5 minutes.

Add remaining broth, tomato sauce, lentils, and 3 cups of water. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir well, then add 1 lb. bag of frozen stir-fry veggies. Cook an additional 10 minutes, or until frozen veggies are heated through.

Very, very, tasty!  ;D
Tori

Re: Ladies Night Soup

Post by Tori »

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well, Mary! (((Hugs)))

This soup *would* be perfect for such a day though. It has a nice, warm, flavor to it, and I have found it perfect for these cold winter days. I can imagine if I were sick, just how wonderful it would be! If I lived closer, I'd bring you some right over!

Pictures are nice, when looking at recipes, aren't they?
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Thanks, Tori for the delicious looking soup recipe.  I NEVER end up with the exact same soup when I make soup.  I am always adding this or that, or not adding this or that.  It keeps the palate guessing just what exactly each batch is going to taste like.

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
Tori

Post by Tori »

Same here, Jeanne! Unless I find a "favorite" that I make more often than others, my hubby never knows what he will find in his soup bowl! LOL!
iluvsoup

Post by iluvsoup »

This looks great, Tori.  Thanks.  Perfect soup for this cold blustery Chicago day.  -12 here with the windchill factor.  BRRR
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

We aren't that cold - but VERY cold for Virginia Beach.  It's currently 33 - but with the wind blowing like it is, it feels like 23!!  (Yes, that's above zero, but we were at almost 70 degrees just a few days ago!)  By the weekend, it'll be almost 60 - chilly, but not cold!!

Carolyn
Last edited by Queenie on January 2nd, 2008, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Tori

Post by Tori »

We are currently sitting at 14°, with a chance of snow today. High's supposed to be around 30°, but it isn't looking like it will reach it. LOL!
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Our time/temp phone line says we are currently at...8 degrees.  They also informed me that the newest predictions are: 8 to 18 INCHES of snow today, tonight, and overnight!  BBBBbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  That is NOT the wind chill either!

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Brrrrrrrr is RIGHT!!  I guess I shouldn't complain...  Sometimes I am soooo whiney!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."