Chicken & Sweetcorn Chowder

All our yummy soup recipes!
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Re: Chicken & Sweetcorn Chowder

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks, Julie for bringing this back up.  I have not tried this one, but it is soup weather here in Ohio.  Snow and soooo cold.  It is snowing now.  School will be out tomorrow. Roads will be slick.  Country girl is fighing  a cold, so she could use a day of rest.  She works so hard.  Little lambs are being born now.  Twins were born today, so it's busy at there place.  :thumbsup:  JF
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

JF,

I too haven't tried this recipe so I printed it out to try next week.  I have to finish the bean soup and the beef/chicken veggie stew (new recipe for me) I made this week.

It is snowing like crazy here in NH today (8-14 inches expected) so Ron and I are staying cozy with a fire going and lots of good LDL food to eat.  I am making my Summer Baked Chicken just to trick my mind into thinking that the warm weather that I love is not far behind even though I know it won't be here until late May or early June.

Does Country Girl live on a farm where they have sheep?  We live about 1/2 mile away from a sheep farm (400 acres) and our lambing season is early spring and late fall.  I drive past the sheep farm all the time and this past fall one ewe had triplets!  Lambs are soo cute to watch, especially when they play together.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

It is cold here, and school is out.  Country Girl lives on a farm.  Their son raises the lambs, but her DH and she helps a whole lot.  She sometimes has to bring one inside her house to bottle feed.  Where they are born is heated, so they stay warm.  I'm still in my housecoat before the logs.  My DH is going to shovel snow--  Today, he has piano lessons so he wants to get the snow off our hill before it packs down.  Our little dog loves the snow.  I have to make her come back inside.  It wouldn't take long to freeze.  *hug*    :thumbsup:  JF
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

I love this soup, too.  So delicious and satisfying.  I usually add a bag of frozen lima beans and make succotash soup.  Doubly delicious!  Pam
mylifeforhim

Post by mylifeforhim »

Thanks, Pam.  Can't wait to try it with Lima's too.
“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” ― John Wesley
The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. From a dear Friend!
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

My the chicken-sweetcorn chowder was sooo easy to do, and it tastes so wonderful.  I also sauteed spinach to eat for the salad with some pickled beets.    We had a delicious meal.  Thanks folks for the ideas.  :thumbsup:  JF
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

My first try making this soup.  It's hard to believe that a recipe from 2005 has finally gotten the attention it deserves.  It is every bit a delicious as it is easy to make.
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

It is the ultimate cold weather comfort food....mmmm! 

LOVE the new picture Joyful Friend!  You really should post in the personal success section every once in a while and remind everyone of your age....incredible!  I really think that kind of post would be an encouragement to newbies.

Blessings,
Julie (who wants to be like JF at her age...Joyful and an LDL super model!)
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Julie, thanks a whole bunch.  I can't get over what LDL has done for me.  I feel better than I did when I was 50.  I was thinking about the fact that my weight has been the same for almost one year.  That in itself is wonderful for me, because I could lose, but gain double back.  I thought I was at goal last Spring; however, my body readjusted, and I lost 10 more lbs by last August.  That picture was taken then.  I have not gained any weight back.  LDL has been food freedom for me.  Thanks to my heavenly Father for giving it to me through Roger's book, by way of First Magazine's article where you and Little Mary looked so wholesome and small.  It is an eating way for life.  *hug*  :) Thanks.  JF
jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

This sounds really good. Out of curiosity do you think substituting the milk for chicken broth would be okay? I don't like milk in my soups. Also, do you know if using a little of the canned healthy request cream of chicken soup in recipes is ok?
Thanks,
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Hi Jencita,

I never use milk in my version (or the butter).  I think there is someplace in the thread that suggests that it is just as good without. 

Blessings,
Julie
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

It is just as good without it.  :thumbsup:  JF
jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

Thanks. I must have missed it! I can't wait to try this one!
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

wendysgoodnews wrote:I don't put the milk in it because I don't want the dairy.  I add extra chicken broth and water.  When I heat up the left overs it has to be thinned again so I just use water.  It has enough flavor it doesn't weaken it at all. 

I did exactly this same thing the first time I made this and when I reheated the leftovers.
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

I love this soup. It's second only to Pizza soup. I loaned out my book, so I'm on here to print it for my files. Getting hungry....
Tina
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

I made this the first week I was on ldl! It was delicious! I must make it again.
Shari

nana thomas

Post by nana thomas »

I going to give this a try..sounds very good..Thanks for your recipes...
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

I love it with corn and lima beans.  Succotash Soup!  Yummy. :inlove:  Pam
nana thomas

Post by nana thomas »

oh my, that does sound good Pam will try that too..ty
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

BTW- this soup certainly doesn't need any milk or margarine.  I made a batch today, loosely based on this recipe.  I used corn and frozen mixed vegetables.  I started with 2 pounds of chicken breasts and added 2 cans of garbanzo beans put through the blender and another 2 cans whole.  I always rinse my beans to reduce gas ;)!  We like it seasoned with Mrs. Dash, garlic,salt, pepper, and some hot sauce.