Chicken & Sweetcorn Chowder

All our yummy soup recipes!
Sharolyn

Re: Chicken & Sweetcorn Chowder

Post by Sharolyn »

MsHeirloom wrote:BTW- this soup certainly doesn't need any milk or margarine.  I made a batch today, loosely based on this recipe.  I used corn and frozen mixed vegetables.  I started with 2 pounds of chicken breasts and added 2 cans of garbanzo beans put through the blender and another 2 cans whole.  I always rinse my beans to reduce gas ;)!  We like it seasoned with Mrs. Dash, garlic,salt, pepper, and some hot sauce.

Thanks for telling us what you do different with this recipe. Since I made it the first time during my first week of LDL, I will try it your way. Without the milk & margarine. I keep mixed veggies in the freezer. My husband is starting to get "turned off" by soups. But, I can eat soups all of the time!
Shari

SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Nice pic Sharolyn!

Like you, I LOVE soup! I'm always making soup so I like to try different kinds. This might be next!

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
Charlotte C.

Post by Charlotte C. »

I think I might try this also. I LOVE soup.... Wish I could find the Willow Run.
                                                          SLLDL, Char.
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

The only place I've ever seen Willow Run is in health food stores. I've seen it in Richard's Whole Foods and the Whole Foods Market.  Maybe it's in Trader Joe's too but I don't know since they don't have a store near me.
mrsj
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

Thanks, SweetRose!

Mrsj., the nearest big health food store to me is in Waco. This will go into the notebook on my phone, so maybe I'll remember to look for the Willow Run when I go there. I haven't been able to find it anywhere. I use ICBINB.
Shari

LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

ICBINB is an acceptable substitute.
Just be careful of any of the margarines.
The transfats in them are worse than the natural fat in real butter.
You might want to try coconut oil or olive oil instead.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
southern lady
New, but learning

Post by southern lady »

Just made this and it is really delicious...I love corn anyway you fix it...I just started back on LDL ...Don't know why I ever got off of it...I love all the recipes and I do start to lose weight right away and that is very motivating to me...Best diet or Way of eating in the world...Thanks Roger....and all the ones who post such fabulous recipes!  Helen (southern lady) in Florida. *love*
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Welcome back Helen!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Great to see you back!  Pam
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Mary's right! I use evvo and evco and even grapeseed oil. We don't get Willow Run up here that I have seen anyway, so I use the above and ICBINB spray,as needed.

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
Charlotte C.

Post by Charlotte C. »

I made this yesterday. Will have it for lunch today. Cant wait, it looks so goooooood.
                                                            SLLDL, Char.
nana thomas

Post by nana thomas »

I will be making this later in this week...can't wait does sound so good.... :tongue:
Charlotte C.

Post by Charlotte C. »

ok I will be making this agin, soooo good. :thumbsup: SLLDL, Char
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

This is one of my favorite recipes. I've made a few times for church carry-ins.

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Thanks, Ollie, I like "carry-in" better than "pot luck"
Linda

omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I'm sure this is better than my soup which has potatoes in it. I love corn chowder and thought I could make it for DH and leave it alone, but it didn't happen. I will make this in a couple of weeks. I'm hitting myself in the head and having a V-8 moment. I'm sure I will like Mary's recipe, it sounds good. DH was complaining that he doesn't like my veggie soup so I asked him what kind of soup he likes and potato soup was one. I didn't even think of checking the recipe board!! life is good. :)

PS I had a cup of trail mix last night AGAIN. It has golden and black raisins, cranberries, pepitas and sunflower seeds, a few peanuts and almonds. it is a fairly healthy mix. I doesn't spike my blood sugar. Unfortunately it came in a large bag. so it is lasting, time to take it over to my DD's house and let the munch-kins at it. It was on sale but it costs in other ways, because the cravings are coming back! Eating popcorn is so much better but it takes effort to pop it!! Time to knock out the snacks, especially salty ones. Most of the time I snack on fruit when I am actually thirsty. More water less juice between meals. Time for breakfast, ciao (I love that Italian word, probably because I love my chow =)) )
Last edited by omalani on February 15th, 2014, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

I love this recipe, Oma! I also make it with added lima beans and have delicious succotash soup. Um! Um! Good!!!
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

This is one of my favorite recipes!!!

Ollie