question-gumbo soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
snowbirdie
Master Member

question-gumbo soup

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi all,
  Do you think if I use the basic recipe for manhatten clam chowder I could omit the clams and use chicken and okra I might turn the recipe into chicken gumbo soup? Would there be differerent herbs and spices I could use? Maybe a little brown rice or wild rice ? A few tablespoons?  Thanks
                Judie
robnveronica
Master Member

Re: question-gumbo soup

Post by robnveronica »

What is usually in Gumbo? I know about okra and rice and different meats, but I have no clue about the base for the soup. I'm sure you could use the wild rice and/or brown rice.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

robnveronica wrote:What is usually in Gumbo? I know about okra and rice and different meats, but I have no clue about the base for the soup. I'm sure you could use the wild rice and/or brown rice.

and gumbo should have coarsely chopped tomatoes...and if i were making it, i'd make it with some chili powder and cumin...that's a great idea to make soup like that.............
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Thank you so much Mary. That darn chicken gumbo in the red and white can calls to me. I won't buy it cause I would eat it all. lol
              Judie
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Mary, don't forget to add some beans  too.
                  Judie