Easy Brown Rice and Vegetable Soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
iluvsoup

Re: Easy Brown Rice and Vegetable Soup

Post by iluvsoup »

Thanks so much, Mary for another great soup recipe.  Can't wait to make it!
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

This soup inspired me to try lots of different crockpot recipes with the dark brown rice and chicken broth as a base....pretty much whatever I have thrown in there (usually always a chopped onion and minced garlic clove).  My family loves it.  Start it early morning with chicken for lunch or later without for dinner....super easy, inexpensive and very yummy:-)

Thanks Mary!

Blessings,
Julie
Gene

Post by Gene »

Litle Mary,

Sounds GREAT, will have to try it.

ICL

Gene
Gene

Post by Gene »

Little Mary,

Think I will pas on the garlic, but will add a Jap. pepper seeds and all chopped up,
but why didnt you put some sauerkraut in your soup????? Ha Ha)

ICL

Gene
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Now Mary...have you ever tried Sauerkraut this way---> 1 can sauerkraut thoroughly drained (squeeze w/ lid to can and remove ALL juice you can)
Put in a fry pan w/ a little margerine
Cook on low until lightly browned

This removes much of the sogginess and the sour vinegar taste. You may just like it. This is about the ONLY way I like it, and the only way my grandmother loved it!!
Veronica
graceface66
Master Member

Post by graceface66 »

Hi Mary,
  I am with you on the sour kraut.  My mom has made it all ways and I do occasionally cook it for my hubby....but I think it is one of the most vile foods on earth. I have had store bought kraut , I have even sliced the cabbage and made kraut.....still nasty.With so many good foods I am glad I do not need to ever eat kraut.
        oh well ...enough spouting off
                      have a great day...........it is snowing here.....have about 18 inches on ground.....say 6 to 12 more today......soup day!!!
                                            kris
If thou shalt confess with your mouth the L-rd Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that G-d hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Roman's 10:9-10
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Oh, I wish we had some snow here in KY.  I grew up in No. Illinois and I LOVE snow.  We had a smidge about three weeks ago, but that's all.  We're getting lots of rain as I type this, though.
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

sval59

Post by sval59 »

I tried the recipe as Mary had originally posted it this weekend and absolutely loved it.  And, I loved how simple it was to make.  Thanks Mary!

Cheryl
sweetcheeks
New, but learning

Post by sweetcheeks »

Help---little Mary or others in the know.....where does one find the "really dark" brown rice?  I have been looking in grocery stores with no luck?
TIA,
Sweetcheeks :wacko:
sweetcheeks
New, but learning

Post by sweetcheeks »

*love*  thanks, Mary.  I love cauliflower and convert it into a recipe for my "mashed" potatoes.  It's wonderful!  But will this hold up in the soup?....
brycesmom

Post by brycesmom »

I am a bean hater, but this recipe sounds so easy.  I think I am going to substitute the Northern Beans and put in a can of green beans; I am new to LDL so I hope this is alright? 
Cheryl Lynne
New, but learning

Post by Cheryl Lynne »

Mary, I have never heard of dark brown rice. Went to Whole Foods today and brought a brand name Lundberg Wehani Gourmet Aromatic  Whole Grain Brown Rice.  It was the darkest brown rice they had. Is this brand okay. I noticed that alot of the recipes call for dark brown rice.
Or do you mean wild rice?

Thanks,
Cheryl Lynne
Phil 4:13
<><
Last edited by Cheryl Lynne on June 4th, 2009, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.