Let's Do Lunch Community

See your doctor for approval before starting any new eating program.
The Key to Let's Do Lunch is to "Add a Little Something Fattening" to something nonfattening, to make it Taste Great! Read the New Red Book to find out how this is done!

Author believes we are put on this earth to have a chance to love The Lord. Other than that, we are here to help God bless as many other people as possible.

It is currently

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

OK!  This is basically the Israeli Chickpea Soup, but the other day I added some salsa and some curry powder.  It was SO good that I thought it deserved to be a soup recipe here on the boards in its own right.  This is fast and easy and really tasty.

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 small yellow onion, sliced (approx. 1 cup)
2 cans of chick peas, drained (15 or 15.5 oz. each)
2 pints fat free chicken broth
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves (no need to chop them)
1 Tbsp. curry powder (use just half if you want a more subtle flavor)
2/3 cup salsa- homemade or from a jar (make sure there's no added sugar)

1.  Heat the olive oil on medium/high in a large saucepan with a lid.  Add the onion and curry powder, and sautee for 3 minutes, stirring.

2.  Add the drained chickpeas, salsa and chicken broth.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover.  Simmer for 10 minutes.

3.  Uncover and add the cilantro.  Cook for 2 more minutes and then remove from heat.  Let it cool slightly and then totally blend until smooth, either in batches in the blender or with a potato masher.  (Note:  You'll get best results if you use a blender:  either a regular blender or a hand-held immersion blender such as the "Braun Multiquick Hand Blender," so the cilantro is completely pureed with the onions and chickpeas in the soup.  If you use a potato masher instead, I recommend finely dicing the onion and chopping the cilantro leaves as finely as you can prior to cooking. There is no need to chop the cilantro if using a blender.) Re-heat if necessary. 

Tip:  Eat a bowl of this soup 15 or 20 minutes prior to your main protein meal of the day.  It helps you feel fuller and more satisfied for longer

Profile Send private message  

Mmmmm, my new favorite soup...Chicken Curry...basically this soup with shredded chicken.

Mmmmm

Thanks Mary!

Blessings,
Julie

LOL!  I should have guessed that if it had garbanzos and curry powder in it, that it would be a "Julie" favorite!  I'm glad you like it.

Love,
Mary

OMG I love this soup.  I never thought I was a chick pea fan before.  You should all try it.
lisbeth

Still the favorite at our house.  Even with the heat of this summer, our family still has this soup at least 2x/mo.

Blessings,
Julie

I'm glad this was brought back up, I just made curried chickpeas (GREAT!) but I like everything better in soup form!  Thanks again, Little Mary, for another amazing recipe!!! :thumbsup:

This was my 1st receipe made from this site....So good!!!!  It was yesterdays lunch.  Today for lunch I added some left over black bean salad and other vegies and it is still wonderul!! 

Thanks,
Stacy

I'm going to try this recipe tomorrow.  I'm going to use dried chick peas.  It sounds like it is going to be really good. 

Well, this soup smells terrific!  It isn't quite lunch time, but I had to take a little taste and it is so delicious.  I used a whole bag of dried beans, so I doubled plus a little the recipe.  I always share with my nephew and his wife who are dabbling in LDL, but aren't fully committed yet.  I also share with my neighbor who is just getting into it.  I am adding grilled chicken to mine like Julie does.  I know it is going to be excellent.  I am even going to bring some to my husband to go along with his sandwich.  If he'd just try, I know he could love LDL as much as I do. To be able to eat such a scrumptious soup as this and continue to lose weight is just so awesome to me.

Little Mary, thank you for making all these recipes up.  You have a gift, little lady. :kissed:  I am in no way going to get bored on this plan.

Last edited by crickadoodle on , edited 1 time in total.

Salsa?  Really?  I would think the "Mexican edge" that would give might be intrusive...especially the bell pepper taste.

I haven't tried this yet, or any of the curry recipes I see mentioned so often, and it's silly, because I LOVE curry...it's great in tuna salad, or chicken salad, or on popcorn.  I used to make a (full fat) curry dip that was awesome with raw cauliflower.

I'll have to try this one, but I'd also like links to anyone else's favorite curry recipes, if you wouldn't mind tracking them down.

(How many bookmarks are we allowed? ;) )

I've only made it with my own homemade salsa, and it's delicious!  You should give it a try, greenheron.  (I make my salsa out of tomatoes, onions, garlic, bell pepper, key lime juice, cilantro, and jalapenos or habanero peppers, plus a bit of salt & pepper.) 

This is one scrumptious soup, and if you think about it, quite a few Indian and Pakistani recipes contain the same ingredients with tomato bases.

Little Mary  :thumbsup:

The Salsa "makes" it.  We use Pace medium when we don't have time to make our own.

Blessings,
Julie

This is really a winner and I'll be making it again and again in the future.  I brought some for my husband to try when I brought him a sandwich to work for lunch.  (He isn't doing LDL, ...... yet. ;))  He ate it and wouldn't commit on whether he liked it or not.  He said something silly like, "I'm eating it because I love you."  :rolleyes:  But he isn't fooling me, because he never eats anything he doesn't like.  Not even because he loves me.  :inlove:  I'm just going to keep doing LDL and keep losing weight, eventually he'll join me. He is eating more fruit and I think he lost a few pounds just from this.  :)

Oh, I used the Pace Salsa too.  All the ingredients were fine.  The smell in my kitchen was so good.  I loved cooking this.

This is really goood, but I'm breaking out in a sweat right now eating it!  I may need to reconsider the HOT salsa next time around, but it is DEEELISH!

Bumping this back to the top for CL (I think that was who said they hadn't acquired a taste for curry).  For her and others who haven't, try this soup!

Blessings,
Julie

I think this soup is delicious, Julie.  I made it the way you said you did, with grilled chicken chopped into it.  It is really great that way.

greenheron wrote:
Salsa?  Really?  I would think the "Mexican edge" that would give might be intrusive...especially the bell pepper taste.

greenheron, this is the homemade salsa I like to make. I'll have to try it in Mary's recipe. I also love *love* any thing prepared with curry.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Salsa-Cruda-III-12724

CQ

Just looked up this recipe again, as I want to make it for my class tomorrow night.  I love reading old posts I made, because it reminds me of so much.  My husband wasn't doing LDL back then, but is now.  I was planning to make this soup again and again, but I didn't.  I found Niki's favorite bean soup and just have made it so many times and love it.  Well, I'm ready to experiment again and start trying different recipes.  I'm going to get the ingredients tonight and make this tomorrow.  I know I'll love it, because I remember how good it was!

Came looking for something inspiring to cook tomorrow for my visiting vegetarian daughter. She will LOVE this one, made with veggie broth instead of chicken broth. We ate your most filling tomato the other day, and plan to do your pizza soup soon. What would our house be without your great recipes?! I don't want to know... Thanks so much, Little Mary.

Meg (yourdish)

Give in to your bean cravings!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wyfSlc2/