Roasted Garlic & Butternut Squash Soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Roasted Garlic & Butternut Squash Soup

Post by LINDA RN »

I had trouble peeling the butternut squash with a knife also the cheapo potato peeler I had did not work well so last week I bought a Vegetable peeler at WaMart that had a ceramic blade. That one worked very well. It is a larger size with a large handle so it made peeling alot easier. I want to get more squash and try the roasted garlic soup. I really loved the spaghetti squash also. It is a little more work than just throwing a handful of pasta in the pot to boil, so I need to fix it more often until I get it down where I can get it cooked quickly. I think I over cooked the first one I tried and now can't remember how I did it the second time. But I plan to fix it more often. I really like the taste of it. Now that I found the coconut sauce replacement for soy sauce, I want to use the spaghetti squash for some LoMein dishes.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Linda, tell me about the c-sauce, please.  Sounds yummy!  :D JF
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Yes, Linda, what is coconut sauce?
Nell
New, but learning

Post by Nell »

Do you cook it part-way before peeling it, to make it easier? I found it very hard to peel, or cut open, but so well worth it when I ate the soup! Just looking for an easier way to get into it.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I was able to peel the butternut squash fairly easily without precooking. I did not have much success precooking it first the one time I tried. I think if you do a search on the boards for butternut squash, Mary or someone posted an article and pictures on how to do it.

As for the coconut sauce, here is what I posted on another thread about it:

OK, here is an update.I read an article about L-Lysine being good for thinning hair. The article mentioned Braggs Aminos being a good source. Bought L-Lysine tabs at Wal-Mart but had it in mind that the next time I was going to the Health Food Center I was going to look into the Braggs Aminos. Turns out the Braggs aminos come from Soy. So apparently it is like a soy sauce? I decided that I would get a small bottle but wan't really sure if I wanted to take in soy. It was on the same section as the salad dressing, worchester and BBQ sauce. After some label reading I came across a bottle of Raw Coconut Aminos. The Brand is Coconut Secret that is on CQ's list of non-GMO's. It cost twice as much as the Braggs but it is soy-free and gluten-free. It tastes as good as it is healthy. Now I need to look up the recipes I have not made because I did not want to use standard soy or worchester sauce. If someone else suggested this, it went completely over my head and I am sorry I did not pay more attention. Here is the info:

http://www.coconutsecret.com/aminos2.html
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

By the way,
If you decide to use this delicious sauce, use very little. I roasted a huge sirloin roast today and poured a generous amount over it then more when I turned it ovber.....wrong! It was sooo salty. It was eatable but I am used to alot less salt after being on LDL for nearly a year now. It is very delicious and adds great flavor but need to use sparingly.
Linda

crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Linda, the sauce sounds interesting.  I see it is carried by Whole Foods, so next time I'm in New Orleans and go to Whole Foods I'll have to pick up a bottle.

I made this soup and it really is delicious.  It was very easy to make too.  I wasn't feeling well, and felt like I was coming down with a cold.  My throat was starting to hurt and my glands were feeling tender and sore.  Well, I ate a lot of the soup last night, which has to be high in vitamin A because of the color.  I felt much better this morning -- which was very important to me. 

It was impt. because, we had plans to get up early and go to our camp on a lake that just had lots of work done on it and I wanted to see it.  Well, we got this place when I was about 8 years old and it was so special to my mom and dad.  We haven't really been able to use it for years and it needed lots of work.  The men finished working on it on my mom and dad's anniversary on Tuesday -- which I thought was appropriate.  Then I got to see it today, which was my dad's 90th birthday.  Wish he were still here to see how nice it has come out.  I took lots of pictures for Mom to see and she loved how everything looked.  We still have some things to do before we can get Mom out there, but I'm looking forward to getting her out on the wharf in her wheelchair with a fishing pole in her hands.  She was always such a good fisherman and always loved fishing.  Anyway, everything was so nice and freshly painted with new floors and ceiling tiles.  It is going to be nice to be able to get out there again.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Sounds like a perfect get-a-way for you Crick.
I know it is a relief to see it spruced up again.
Linda

crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

It actually was causing a slight amount of stress for me because I'm the only sibling still living in our hometown.  My other living siblings live away -- one in Illinois and the other in B'Ham, Alabama.  That means everything with mom and things she owns is kinda in my care.  Well, it needed so much work and when my brother would come in he'd always mention how he'd like to go out there.  Not that he meant it to put pressure on me, but I knew if it was going to get fixed up, I'd have to take the steps to get it done.  I thank God that one day when I was walking for my morning exercise my thoughts went to the camp and I really feel like God was guiding my thoughts.  We have a local ministry run by a man in my church.  It is a place where men with alcohol and drug addiction can go to get set free.  The man who runs it had the same problem and went to a place that really helped him and wanted to start a place like it in our area.  Well, I just started thinking about that maybe the men from that place could help us with the camp.  They learn carpentry skills and stuff.  I know that it would have been quite expensive to have it done by a professional carpenter.  You also have to get there by boat.  This worked out so well for us because we told them how much we had to spend -- labor, materials and all.  They worked in our budget and I know they did so much more than we could have afforded the other way.  The camp was filled with spider webs and the ceiling was falling in and it was just a mess.  Now everything inside is basically new.  So, these wonderful men who are being restored themselves helped us to restore this place.  I thought it was kinda cute that it took them 6 days -- just like God took 6 days to create the earth!  Now we can make it a place of rest and restoration for us.  It will be nicer than ever.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

What a wonderful story of Gods love for the little things in our life...
and His miraculous provision.
Linda

Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Faith produced works.  God does give us wants if we delight in Him.  It is a meaningful, beautiful story of God's provision.  *hug* JF
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I'm so thankful everything went well.  I know my siblings will love the results.  Thank you for commenting in such a nice way, too.
hopefull

Post by hopefull »

Woohoo!!! really enjoy this soup. Thanks for sharing
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I peeled my raw butternut squash at Thanksgiving with a good old ordinary vegetable peeler & it worked great!  And the end of the handle scraped out the fibers perfectly.  Who knew?
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
javabean
New, but learning

Post by javabean »

Well, this was one big tasty soup.  I left out the garlic and put in thyme, rosemary, onion, and a bit of cayenne.  I could not believe how sweet the soup tasted.  It is one fiberlicious soup, too.  I'll make it again . I used Rachel Ray's chicken stock on it.  How is that brand of stock? 

jb

marysimmons wrote:OK, well I have a New NEW favorite soup!  This is smooth and silky in texture, oh so tasty, and looks beautiful like a bowl of mango puree!  If you think you can't be bothered roasting veggies just to make soup, please bear in mind that it's easier than many other soups, because there's no stirring the pot or sauteeing ingredients one at a time or anything like that.  You just roast the veggies and then blend them with some broth when they're cooked, so the "hands on" time in making this soup is relatively minor.  Wow, I'm loving experimenting with all the fall and winter pumpkins and squashes.  This makes 6 - 8 bowls.  Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS:
1 small butternut squash (around 2 & 1/2 lbs. in weight when it's whole)
1/2 of a large onion, cut into quarters
6 - 7 cloves of garlic, peeled
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4 tsp. salt
Dash of pepper
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. dried mixed Italian Herbs
2 cups fat-free chicken or vegetable broth, or 2 cups of chicken bouillon

1.  Peel and dice the squash into 1" cubes, discarding the seeds and strings.  Mix the Olive Oil, Salt, pepper and Herbs together in a large mixing bowl.  Add the onion, garlic, and squash, and stir until all pieces are well coated.

2.  Pour the contents of the bowl onto a large cookie sheet or baking tray.  Place in a preheated 400 degree oven and roast for 40 - 45 minutes, shaking the tray or moving the pieces around with a spatula occasionally to ensure even roasting.  When the squash is sweet and soft, it's done.

3.  If you have a good blender, just tip the cooked veggies into the blender and add the broth + 2 cups of water.  Blend until totally smooth.  I did this in my Vita-Mix in around 30 seconds!  Alternatively, you can put the veggies into a large pot, add the broth and 2 cups of water, and blend until smooth with a hand-held immersion blender such as a Braun Multi-Quick.  The sweetness the roasting gives to the garlic, onion & squash is incredible.  Yum yum yum!
javabean
New, but learning

Re: Roasted Garlic & Butternut Squash Soup (aminos)

Post by javabean »

Linda,

Educate me on this, please.  This helps women with thinning hair?  I'll pass this onto my wife. 

Thanks, jb

LINDA RN wrote:
As for the coconut sauce, here is what I posted on another thread about it:

OK, here is an update.I read an article about L-Lysine being good for thinning hair. The article mentioned Braggs Aminos being a good source. Bought L-Lysine tabs at Wal-Mart but had it in mind that the next time I was going to the Health Food Center I was going to look into the Braggs Aminos. Turns out the Braggs aminos come from Soy. So apparently it is like a soy sauce? I decided that I would get a small bottle but wan't really sure if I wanted to take in soy. It was on the same section as the salad dressing, worchester and BBQ sauce. After some label reading I came across a bottle of Raw Coconut Aminos. The Brand is Coconut Secret that is on CQ's list of non-GMO's. It cost twice as much as the Braggs but it is soy-free and gluten-free. It tastes as good as it is healthy. Now I need to look up the recipes I have not made because I did not want to use standard soy or worchester sauce. If someone else suggested this, it went completely over my head and I am sorry I did not pay more attention. Here is the info:

http://www.coconutsecret.com/aminos2.html

LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Rachel Ray's stock is probably the best I have found for ingredients.
They quit carriying it at the WalMart I use and I miss it.
I buy L-Lysine at WalMart and Coding Queen told me I need to be taking 1500-2000mg so I buy the 1000mg tabs and take 2 every morning (when I remember). I really do think it is restoring my hair.
Linda

LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Bumping this soup to the top to declare SOUP SEASON officially started!  I figure it is cool enough somewhere and Octoberfest is going on in our town.  I enjoy watching all of the people but not all of the beer drinking, shutting down of parks and such.  My tradition for the weekend will be kicking off Soup Season with this soup:-)

If you haven't tried it....do!  Also, Costco is selling pre-peeled and cut up butternut squash.  Mmmmm, mine is roasting right now!

Blessings & Thanks Again, Mary,
Julie
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I have made two double  batches.  I had eight  friends in for a retirement party.  I served it, and it was the first time any had tasted it.  They ate it all---just a cup in each bowl. They all said they liked it. It was the first course.  It is soup season, here.  I bought ten squash--98 cents a piece.  They keep in a cool place. My husband cut mine up for me.  :thumbsup:  JF