Roasted Garlic & Butternut Squash Soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
iluvsoup

Re: Roasted Garlic & Butternut Squash Soup

Post by iluvsoup »

Oh my gosh, Mary! This soup looks sooo good.  I just printed it out and am going to make it this week.  Thanks for all your wonderful recipes.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Mary, I bought a big bag of garlic heads at Sam's and realized they actually have an expiration date on them.  Cool.  So I microwave roasted all of them using Debbie's method.  There are about 30 heads.  ha ha  -- It tastes so good I ate one of the heads as a side dish.  Then went to a doctor's appointment.  YIKES !  *lipssealed*
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
dmdavis

Post by dmdavis »

Thanks Mary for sharing this receipe...it was awesome!  The house smelled good roasting the veggie too!
thyroid

Post by thyroid »

Hi Mary
  Which of the butternut  squashes is your favorite? People on the boards rave about the first one you made....but your  Roasted Garlic sounds wonderful! :drool:

Marie
Happy Valentines Day
Don't ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.
lifegoeson24n7

Post by lifegoeson24n7 »

Mary,

This is my new favorite.  YUM!  I added a tad bit of cinnamon and had to stop myself from eating the roasted veggies so I would have enough left for the soup.

Thank you for posting so many recipes.

Jill
If you fall off the horse, climb right back on!
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

LOL - I did the same thing, Jill.  Next time I'm definitely roasting a double batch so I can eat one & have one for the soup.
ImageImage
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

I'm going to have to try this recipe.  I've never cooked winter squash...used to HATE the squishy orange stuff we had to eat as kids (since we grew all our vegetables) but I'm sure as a grown-up, I'll love this soup! 

Will you please confirm that you add four cups of liquid....two water and two broth?  Thanks!
Tamra09
New, but learning

Post by Tamra09 »

Sounds delicious, Mary!  Thank you so very much for all of your yummy recipes.  I LOVE the Chicken and Corn Chowder and the Tomato-Basil Soup.  I will definitely make the Roasted Garlic and Butternut Squash very soon.  I still have some squash leftover from when I made the Black Bean and Butternut Squash Soup (also VERY YUMMY).  Your recipes, along with a lot of others, make it very easy to stick to the program.  How can we not with food we love?  I told my husband, while I was eating the chowder, "this seems like it would be bad for you  . .it is so creamy and delicious."  :0)

Wonderful!  Thank you for sharing!!
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Mmmm, going to try this one too.  Hey Mary, is Butternut Squash a summer squash?  I've been trying to figure out what the season is for them, but the price never seems to change at our store.

I am on my way over to print out the recipe for your asparagus soup....we have asparagus plants at our new home....last summer I had no clue WHAT those bushy plants were and cut them down thinking "weeds"...now, we are eating fresh asparagus!

Blessings and Thanks,
Julie
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Hi Julie - good question about squash.  I know summer squash have soft skins, watery flesh and edible seeds (yellow, zucchini).  Winter squash have tough skins and hard seeds.  But didn't know when they are harvested to get the best price.  Both are warm weather crops, but the summer ones are picked while still soft and seeds are immature.  Winter ones are allowed to get fully mature and harvested - guess when?  Just before winter!  Like pumpkins.

I had to Google it:  http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/wsquash1.html

FREE asparagus growing on your property  ? ? ?  WOO HOO!  You are truly blessed.  There was a big bush that kept coming up in your back flowerbed when we bought the house.  My husband kept mowing it down, but it looked like a green pepper plant to me.  The previous owner had edible fruit trees, & herb plants growing around the place, so I decided to taste one of the leaves to see if it was good to eat.  BIG MISTAKE ! ! !  It was horribly bitter and raised a blister on my tongue.  It also made my hand burn for a while.  On of my daugher's friends identified it as a Four O'Clock and when allowed to mature produces masses of fuscia-colored blossoms which open every afternoon.  Turns out they are mildly poisonous to ingest and can cause contact dermatitis.

It's truly one of God's miracles that I have survived as long as I have!
Last edited by Gwennaford on May 22nd, 2009, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

No, I don't think the link tells where their growing seasons are, just that it's a warm weather crop.  I just got a great spaghetti squash recipe from there.

I was just telling Chelle that I eat this soup when I want to SPLURGE!  It so SOOO rich and luxurious.

You know you have to thin it after it stands, because it gets so very thick?   I used a little orange juice with the water.  You could just barely detect a subtle orange fragrance.  Very nice.
Last edited by Gwennaford on May 23rd, 2009, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

This is an awesome soup Mary!  I made it for the upcoming week and gave my dad some too.  He loved it!  I want to roast some veggies just to eat next time as they were delicious!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Kathys right all the newbies should try this soup!!!!