15 Bean Soup...Good Stuff

All our yummy soup recipes!
o2bthin

15 Bean Soup...Good Stuff

Post by o2bthin »

At Wal-Mart, I found bags of 'Hurst's Brand 15 Bean Soup,' that has a recipe on the back label, and the soup is delicious.  You soak and cook the 15 bean mix as you would cook any other dried beans, and after 2 1/2 hours of simmering, the recipe called for adding chopped onion, a can of tomatoes, 1 tsp. chili powder, juice of one lemon and 2 cloves of garlic minced.  I also added some chopped celery and 2 sliced carrots.  Simmer an additional 30 minutes.  The beans came with a 'Ham' flavor-packet enclosed, but since I didn't know what the ingredient were, I didn't use the packet.  I seasoned with salt, pepper and liquid smoke.  This made a big pot of soup and everyone loved it.  If you can find the 'Hurst's Brand 15 Bean Soup Mix,' I highly recommend it.
Started LDL - Sept. 8, 2009              
Beginning weight - 247                 
Goal weight - 147 or less

'Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.'                   III John 2             

Kathie

Re: 15 Bean Soup...Good Stuff

Post by Kathie »

Thanks for this idea.. I am making a shopping list now.. I get a few legal things every week and will be looking for this 15 bean package.
Kathie in Fl
[
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Thanks for the tip - O! I have been buying all my beans and veggies at wal mart lately. I will have to look for this and give the recipe a try.

BTW, what has happenned to the prices in the supermarkets?  I find a lot of people walking around just muttering to themselves - including me!  :laughing:

Julie :rose:
Bethann
Master Member

Post by Bethann »

I've tried the Hurst's Bean Soup as well! Also my family loves it! Would the packet be all right to use?

I have been practicing LDL since September 7th. One of the first days I made this soup! I had already soaked them and had simmered them on the stove for at least 2 1/2  hours. Unexpected things had come up during my day so I decided I didn't have time to continue with making the soup so I drained the water and set the beans aside to cook in my crock pot the next day...... What a surprise! When I went to make my soup all 15 of the beans had sprouted!!  :laughing: I was amazed! No wonder beans are considered good for you! Look at all the life in them!!!!  Of course beans are really seeds so why was I so surprised!  :) Another miracle of God's creation - beans!

Oh yes, I continued to make my soup and we enjoyed it much, sprouts and all!! And my husband and son laughed seeing my sprouted beans :happy:!!  :laughing:
I even shared this story in church the next day as I felt so thankful for all of the wonderful gifts that Jesus  :rose: has given us and it is so amazing how He has created things here on this earth to bless us and for us to enjoy!  *love*

Until later....  :rose:
Last edited by Bethann on January 2nd, 2010, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rodie

Post by rodie »

I also have tried the 15 bean mix at Wal-Mart.I make a bean soup in the crock pot with it that is sooooo darn good,reminds me that I will have to make a pot full this week,weather is a gettin colder :thumbdown:.
Hugzzzz
Rodie :)
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Sounds great.  Aren't crockpots wonderful???  I tried to find kidney beans in the can without sugar;  gave up and bought the seeds; cooked them in crockpot last night.  Now ready to make Taco soup.  My hubby was so happy to see the beans this morning.  He said,  "Are you making corn bread?"  Maybe he will get a bowl after I use what I need for the soup.  Until LDL, the only beans that I cooked were green, pinto, navy, northern, and baked.  There are so many varieties.  I cooked split peas for my first time.  I wonder if I could cook them in a crockpot?  The great ideas that I get from you all really help us to eat well and to be an adventuress.  Joyful Friend 
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

o2bthin wrote: The beans came with a 'Ham' flavor-packet enclosed, but since I didn't know what the ingredient were, I didn't use the packet.  I seasoned with salt, pepper and liquid smoke.  

This is the ingredients in the packet.

SEASONING PACKET: Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Maltodextrin, Salt, Artificial Flavorings (Including Artificial Smoke Flavor), Silicon Dioxide (Added less than 2% as an anti-caking agent).

This recipe is really good using 15 bean soup but leave out the packet and the ham and use liquid smoke.

http://www.recipezaar.com/15-Bean-Soup-51803

CQ

Last edited by CodingQueen on October 29th, 2009, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
heretotheend

Post by heretotheend »

I bought a bag of these beans last week but have not made them yet............looks like today just might be the day to make these.....think I'll go clean them now

Cookie
o2bthin

Post by o2bthin »

You folks are great!  I'm glad I'm not the only one enjoying this soup.  And, yes, the prices of food are unreal these days!!

Funny story about this soup.  My parents live with me (both 83), and my mother has a memory problem.  When I feed her, I have to name every item on her plate, or she'll ask "What's this?  And, what's this?"

So, I give her a bowl of soup and I say, "Mama, this is 15 Bean Soup."

We're eating supper, and Mom asks, "Now, tell me again, what is this?"

"It's 15 Bean Soup, Mama."

She eats a bite.  Stirs around in her bowl.  Then she says, "Hmmm, I think I've been shorted...I only see 4 beans."

Well, I guess you had to be there.  :rolleyes:  I loves my little mama!!  *love*
Beginning weight - 247                 

'Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.'                   III John 2             

mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

O2bthin, that was cute..........and funny. :D  Yup.  Gots to love the mama!
Thanks for sharing.
mrsj
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Otobthin, that was funny.  She still has a sense of humor.  I kept my mama as well.  She also had hardening of her arteries.  When we took rides, she would always ask if I had been this way before.  She was afraid we were going to get lost. I loved my mama. I'm going to buy those 15 bean pk tomorrow.  With our run on beans, they may go up in prize. Ha Joyful F
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

My favorite soup I've been making is niki's favorite bean soup:  http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index ... pic=1384.0

I'm thinking about making it with more than 3 types of beans and giving containers of it to neighbors for Christmas.  I mix up the beans every week, but I always use black beans in it.  It is so yummy and satisfying!  I'm going to just buy several packs of different beans and put like 1/2 cup of each kind and make a double batch of it.  That would be 12 types of beans!  Yum, that is going to be so good!
o2bthin

Post by o2bthin »

Doodle, what a great idea for gifts.  Are you including a recipe with each packet of beans?  Lucky neighbors!
Beginning weight - 247                 

crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

That's a good idea to include the recipe.  This soup is so good, I love to share it.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Crickadoodle, I may borrow your idea and add the recipe.  Great idea for my domino  groups.  Thanks, JF
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I ended up buying 9 kinds of beans and I got three gallon Ziplock bags.  I put 2/3 cups of each type of bean in each Ziplock bag.  I used one bag today to make my soup -- Niki's favorite.  It was a double recipe.  It is really delicious and I gave one container to my nephew and his wife as part of his birthday present.  I share 4 smaller containers with 4 different people today.  I love sharing soup.

I saw some 1 quart jars at BigLots yesterday that might be a cute way to give the soup for gifts.  You get 12 jars for only $7.  I think I might get those. 
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Crick, good idea.  I'll have to go to Big Lots.  They are so different everywhere.  I didn't get my beans on Monday.  Walmart was so crowded that I got what I really needed and checked out--It was first of the month business.  I'll go Tomorrow. Joyful Friend.  Church night.  Need to fix my pineapple and squash.  Yum,,Yum!!! 
msdrina09
New, but learning

Post by msdrina09 »

I found organic 13 bean soup mix hopefully it will turn out the same...I'm cooking now will let you all know!  :thumbsup:
MsDrina09
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I also found the bag of 15 bean soup at Wal-Mart a couple weeks ago before reading this thread. Thanks O2B for the recipe. I'll cook it this coming week since this weekend I plan to try the squash fries and some more zucchini soups.
Last edited by LINDA RN on December 5th, 2009, 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...