"Beantato," Leek & Pea Soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

I got a great recipe for Potato, Leek & Pea soup from my father-in-law several years ago. It's one of our favorite soups, so I thought I would give it a try in an LDL version. The beans make an excellent substitute for the potatoes and the milk in the original recipe.

Ingredients

a little olive oil (less than 1 tblsp)
1 large yellow or sweet onion, chopped
4 - 6 leeks, depending on size. Trim green tops to leave white and some of the light green. Slice in half lengthwise and rinse well, then chop
1 bunch (6 or so) green onions
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup celery leaves and tops, chopped
2 cans (about 4 cups) white beans (I used cannellini), drained and rinsed
1 lb pkg frozen peas (or fresh)
1 1/2 - 2 quarts broth (I used a combination of vegetable and chicken)
salt
2 Tblsp dried Parsley flakes, or about 1/4 c fresh parsley, minced
2 tsp brewer's yeast (optional)

In skillet, heat oil and saute onions, leeks, green onions, garlic, and celery leaves until onions start to turn transparent
Thaw peas in microwave just long enough so they aren't frozen -- don't cook them
In batches, blend all of the beans and vegetables with the broth. Use more or less broth depending on how thick you want the soup. Pour blended batches into a large pot.

Season with salt to taste, and parsley flakes. The brewer's yeast is optional, but gives a slightly smokey, richer flavor. Heat through and serve.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Re: "Beantato," Leek & Pea Soup

Post by crickadoodle »

If you have a hand blender, you could actually blend it all together in the pot -- right?  It would make it a lot easier.  I love my little hand blender for all the soups that need the beans blended.  This sounds yummy, Terri!  I'm going to bookmark it for later reference.  I loved potato soup in the past.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Re: "Beantato," Leek & Pea Soup

Post by crickadoodle »

Wow, when I said I bookmarked this for later reference, I really meant much later.  I have some leeks that I grew in my garden that I wanted to use and found this recipe bookmarked, so I just made this with what I had available -- which was just about everything, except the frozen peas and the brewer's yeast, and I used coconut oil, instead of olive oil -- then I also added some Herbes des Provence, like in Little Mary's addictive white bean soup.  It is really yummy tasting.  Thanks, Terri!!