Let's Do Lunch PIZZA SOUP...Eat Until Full

All our yummy soup recipes!
rodie

Re: Let's Do Lunch PIZZA SOUP...Eat Until Full

Post by rodie »

Mary,
I made the pizza soup for tomorrows lunch(back to work after having 10 days off *grrr*) It made a huge batch,I will be eating it all week I'm sure.Can you freeze this soup? Oh by the way,even though I shouldn't have tasted it tonight,I couldn't resist,but I only had a spoonful! can't wait for lunch tomorrow.
Have a good week
hugzzzz
Rodie :)
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Oh by the way,even though I shouldn't have tasted it tonight,I couldn't resist,but I only had a spoonful! can't wait for lunch tomorrow.
Hi Rodie! You certainly did no wrong having a taste. This reminds me of the following post that says if you're still working to get rid of cravings there's no problem for you to have a taste or more:
Can this be eaten for the NON ldl meal? Or since it has the turkey, would it need to be eaten for lunch only?
it has ground turkey in it so it should be eaten for the main meal......although,bear in mind that roger states that you can eat all the allowable foods in the beginning whenever you want while you wait to lose the cravings...so if you've lost the cravings,you should be fine tuning your program to eating something like this only once a day..................... niki

Also, I have frozen the Pizza Soup and it did fine. 
mrsj
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

I froze the pizza soup, and it was great, I have also frozen the meat and spices part separate from the vegetable soup, and that works good too.
yourdish

Post by yourdish »

"Little Mary" I just wanted to thank you for your many helpful and thoughtfully written replies on a variety of topics. I'm so excited to find the LDL program, which I sense is going to be great for my spouse and me, and healthy for our budget since we just retired.

I've just ordered the book and eagerly await it, but thanks to your posts, I can start to get benefits immediately.  I'm planning on trying your pizza soup tomorrow, black bean soup the day after.

Again, I really appreciate you, and of course, Roger Troy Wilson. It inspires me that he donates his profits.

megonly
Happiness is frozen grapes and warm friends!

Give in to your bean cravings!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wyfSlc2/
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Welcome megonly to the LDL family!  We love Little Mary's pizza soup at our house.  I believe you'll find a lot of recipes here that you'll enjoy trying.  Let the benefits of good eating begin!
Best wishes,
mrsj 
bethp

Post by bethp »

Today is my day off so its my day to cook! I woke up trying to decide which great recipe I would try today. When I opened up my computer this recipe was still up! So it was decided for me! This soup is wonderful! I am so full!  :thumbsup:
Mary, you are an awesome cook!  :rose: Thanks for all the help!
This is the day which the LORD has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24 Image
vleller

Post by vleller »

Wow!! Another winner with this delicious soup Mary!!  *love* I'd printed out this recipe to try this weekend - that's when I do most of my cooking for the week.  My daugher and her family usually come over following church services on Sunday to go swimming.  After swimming, I started making the pot of pizza soup.  I was making a big pot for my lunches this week at work.  :laughing: I chased everyone out to the porch when the onions and garlic were cooking - their eyes were burning.  I was happily singing and chopping and stirring.  I'm glad they were all outside so they didn't see me blending the beans to add to the soup.  ;)  I took a small sample out to my daughter to taste.  She shared it with her DH.  They asked if they could stay for dinner and I said sure.  I had some Standing Rib Roast I'd cooked they could have.  They said they wanted the soup instead.  Well since it had meat in it, I didn't eat it but had my veggies and fruit.  Now there's only enough soup left for one serving.  :poo: Both my daughter and her DH hate veggies so I never let on it had beans in it.  It's our little LDL secret. Now when our other daughter moves here with her family in a few months, she'll know about the beans as she loves veggies.  I'll just have to swear her to secrecy. :D

[glow=red,2,300]Lynn[/glow]
Lynn
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

We apparently live in a nation of LDL Pizza Soup lovers.......
Yep!  I made a pot of it today!  :D
Soooo good!
mrsj
stephyanders

Post by stephyanders »

Ok I'm currently in the process of whipping this baby up (there's so much food!!). First, it smells absolutely delicious! Just by coincidence I had all the ingredients (due to numerous conquests to make something new, but never achieving).
I did end up using refried pinto beans salsa style from trader joes- I checked the ingredients and it had added onion, garlic, and jalapenos added, but no sugar, so hopefully those dont stray too far from the LDL way.
I also had to substitute one herb for another, as I did not have it in my cupboard.

Thanks for the recipe, I'm sure it will be amazing!

UPDATE: I think that this is the most delicious soup I've tasted in quite some time, and I don't have to feel guilty about enjoying it because it's actually something LDL approves of  ;D

Also, I'd like to know everyone's opinion on what beans they use and the pros/cons of each (as in canned or whole beans that you soak overnight).
Last edited by stephyanders on June 9th, 2009, 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bethp

Post by bethp »

Mary, I am emailing my brother the recipe and he is not even an LDLer. Doesn't need to be. He just thought it sounded really good when I was describing it to him. You definitely have a winner here!! In the words of Rachel Ray, YUMMO!!!  :thumbsup:
This is the day which the LORD has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24 Image
Andrea In FL
New, but learning

Post by Andrea In FL »

Mary,

Just wanted you to know that I made your soup last week and enjoyed it immensely!!!  I've always been a soup lover and enjoy making various soups.  Yours was so tasty.  I had brought some in to work for lunch and a couple of my fellow weight 'watchers' had some and raved about it!  So, of course, I gave them the recipe... As a matter of fact my co-workers have all been complimenting me on how I look, as I have now dropped 30 lbs.  I'm telling everyone about Roger, the book and how I'm eating and have given people the info.  It's wonderful to share the great ideas and concepts with others!  Thanks so much  :thumbsup:.
Gratefully losing
ChrissyV

Post by ChrissyV »

Little Mary,
it is raining here like crazy and i just came back from a walk with my dog.
And then i had a huge bowl from your soup...it was soooooooo good. Thank you for sharing..

Jeni
New, but learning

Post by Jeni »

Hi everyone who has tried this soup!

Wow, is it GOOD. I had to improvise a couple of things... didn't have any ground turkey, but had some leftover turkey kielbasa sausages my husband had grilled last month in the freezer, so put that in. Also, only had one can of diced tomatoes on hand, but had some pizza sauce, so added that, too. And decided to puree both a can of pintos and a can of garbanzos. My family loved it!! My husband didn't even put any crackers in his soup. That's an amazing thing, really.

Oh, yeah - I almost forgot. I didn't have any dried basil, but had fresh out in the herb garden. I plucked a few sprigs of it and put the leaves in about a cup of water in the blender (my favorite power tool) and made "basil water." It worked just fine.

Thanks for the inspiration to try something that tastes a lot like pizza. I've never been much of a soup person before. I really enjoy it now. I hope this never changes! :)

Is there any reason to NOT use the pizza sauce? It was a small (10 oz. or so) can. I think it said 135 calories a serving, 10 of those calories from fat.

We definitely all ate until we were full. My son had another cup of the soup when he came in from the garage a few minutes ago.

Jeni
Regards,

Jeni

EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Jeni;

The sausage is too fatty to be used in healthy LDL-type recipes. I understand you may have been trying to use it up but your next batch of Pizza Soup needs to have lean meat in it instead of processed sausage.  :rose:
Also, did you check the ingredients of the pizza sauce? I think most brands have added sugar or high fructose corn syrup.

NJ
Jeni
New, but learning

Post by Jeni »

Thanks, NJ. Very good tips.
Regards,

Jeni

crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I'll be making this soup tomorrow for my lunch and to share with a friend.  I'm making a double recipe.  Everyone says it is really good, so I'll get to put my 2 cents in tomorrow.  I cooked pinto beans tonight and pureed them ahead of time.  I'll use them in the recipe tomorrow.  If I can, I like to cook dried beans, so I really know what is in them.  I'm going to use fresh basil and oregano, since I have it in my herb garden. 

Until tomorrow.  :sleep:
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Just one question to anyone who's done this recipe -- would it still be yummy if I didn't use the vegetable cheese?  I just never used that and am wondering if it is full of funny ingredients to make it taste cheesy.  I saw some at the store yesterday, but just decided to skip it.  Also, if I change my mind and use the cheese, the recipe says something like submerge it on top.  ??  Not sure what this means.  Do you use a piece of the cheese for each bowl and just kind of put it on top but make it sink a little??  Anyway, I hope it smells extra good and my husband asks me for some.  He loves pizza and is starting to do LDL, but hasn't wanted to try my soups.  I've made some awesome soups, too.  I'll be sharing this soup with a friend who is starting LDL today.  She works fulltime, and since I know what that is like and am new to not working outside of the home, I really want to help her out in this new way of eating.