Let's Do Lunch PIZZA SOUP...Eat Until Full

All our yummy soup recipes!
Queenie
Administrator

Re: LITTLE MARY'S PIZZA SOUP -- A MUST!

Post by Queenie »

Mary,

I made a double recipe of this and put it in the fridge last night.  I hope it lasts a few days - my boyfriend loves it!  (Gee, boyfriend seems like such an odd term when one is 49 years old!!)

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Thanks, Mary,

Yes, we've toyed with the terms used for each other.  When John filled out his emergency contact at work, he put me as fiance.  He said that he was going to put "love of my life", but figured that the people at the place he works wouldn't recover from rolling on the floor laughing and he would die before they could contact me!!  He's such fun!!

Carolyn

Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Bringing this to the top for Richard.

DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Mary maybe you can help me turn my pizza recipe into an LDL friendly version.  When my husband and I were on atkins I made this pizza that totally made you feel like you were eating pizza but it had no crust.  I thought maybe I could revise it to make it LDL worthy but  I have hypothyroidism and my brains focus isnt what it should be and you seem to be the local chef around here!!! lol  First I would sautee what ever veggies we like....mushrooms, onions, green peppers, garlic.  Then I would fry italian sausage....but I thought maybe you could use just a little bit of sausage for flavor  mixed with ground chicken and then just season it with oregano etc.  to make it taste right.  Anyway then I would drain the meat really good.  I would then take my  huge skillet and make a layer of sausage, then put the veggies on top of the sausage and then plop some dollops of spaghetti sauce over the veggies and  then season with crushed red pepper flakes, oregano, garlic powder and reduced fat parmesan cheese. then I would take lowfat mozzarella and cover the whole thing with a layer of cheese.  Then under the broiler for a few minutes till nicely browned.  Then I'd let it set oh 3/4 minutes or so and take my pizza cutter and cut it into 8 big pieshapes.  It was a perfect meal with a salad to complete it.  Would this work with the veggie cheese or a low fat mozzarella for an LDL lunch?   
Last edited by DEBBIEWEBE on September 11th, 2006, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hey Deb. Sounds like a pretty darn good quiche the way it is! If you substituted some turkey sausage, you'd cut the calories and fat a bit. If you beat up an egg or just an egg white, you'd give it some "glue" to help the veggies stick together. And where's the spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce to make it pizza?? :) Just make sure you use your own sauce or a no sugar added sauce if purchased. Top it with the Veggie Cheese soy mozzerella or the Kraft fat-free mozzerella and you're good to go! I'm going to try this minus the sausage. Thanks for the idea! ..........nyKath
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Roger has a recipe on the boards for LDL sausage that is excellent!  The key is Morton's Sausage and Meatloaf Spice.  I made this a bit ago and froze it - WONDERFUL!  You might try this - of course it would be your protein meal.

Carolyn

nyKath

Post by nyKath »

I'll have to go online for a source of this seasoning mix. It's not available in my NY stores, not even at the specialty markets, so it might only be available regionally. I'll keep searching as the family would love it! Thanks....nyKath
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

nykathy,
Oh yes.....sorry it was late last nite...I was a little tired lol....I did plop some dollops of spaghetti sauce around on top of the layers of sausage and veggies. (I modified my first post to reflect that change) Then put the cheese ontop which holds the veggies and meat together nicely on its own...no eggs to alter the flavor though.   I also fried the sausage till pretty browned and drained it very well.  Its the broiling of the cheese to make it look like a pizza that holds it all together though.  When you allow it to cool for a couple of minutes its really exactly like a pizza slice.  You know here in chicago we're kinda fussy about our pizza and my husband and kids and I really enjoyed this recipe.  Im so excited about all the brainstorming on this.  I know we can come up with a LDL friendly version that will satisfy our craving!!!
Thanks Again
Debbie : )
Last edited by DEBBIEWEBE on September 11th, 2006, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Kathy - I had to get mine at Southern States!!  For those that don't know what this is, it's basically a "feed store" - carry all sorts of things for horses, etc.  But they also have a hunting section and a pet section.  Oh, and a canning section - and a gardening section (I also bought two big bags of tulip bulbs when I was there)... 

Anyway, that's where I found it - no grocery stores in the area had it... I also know that within Roger's recipe, he lists a phone number that you can order it from.

Carolyn

HarleyGrandma

Post by HarleyGrandma »

Made the pizza soup yesterday for this weeks lunch.. one word.... YUM..  tastes best the day after making it.
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

I can't believe I just finally tried this (after 7 weeks on the program)! my 2nd daughter (with the smoothie challenge for disasters) helped me and was doing fine til after it was done and she decided she wanted a drink in a "special" Holly Hobbie glass (from the 1970's when I was growing up1). She didn't listen to mom about wait a couple minutes and I'd help her...so instead reached beyond her capabilities and dropped it and broke it on the counter!
Now back to the topic of how WONDERFUL tasting the soup was!! Didn't realize I didn't have the pinto beans on hand until 1/2 way through making it, so substituted the cannelini beans. Didn't seem to make a difference in taste! I really enjoyed it!
Lynne

Post by Lynne »

Just want to clarify.... Since this soup has meat we can only have at lunch??  I will be making a pot tonite!
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi Lynne! You can switch it up if you want to or have to. The idea is to not make a habit of it if at all possible. Read your book again! :) It's just best to try and have your big protein serving of the day, and your largest meal, at lunch, but if you can't, no big deal. Just work around it and make it fit in with your family lifestyle. ...NYKath
TNangela

Post by TNangela »

This has definitely been a favorite in my house, as matter of fact Hannah often brings this in a thermos for lunch at school and shares with her buddies who always request I cook this when they spend the night. 
ANG
Star_Dust2

Post by Star_Dust2 »

:-*

Just a note -- to say my family also enjoyed this soup very much. I made a meatless version, so we can add  cooked ground turkey at lunch as an option. It will definitely be a 'two-batch' recipe in our home.

[glow=red,2,300]Happy November'ing' all..........[/glow]

Star_Dust
(`'·.¸(`'·.¸*¤*¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«´¨·...¤*STARDUST*¤...·´¨`»
     (¸.·'´(¸.·'´*¤*`'· .¸)`'·.)
DB2
New, but learning

Post by DB2 »

I tried the pizza soup and it was really good.  The church I go to has Family Night Suppers on Wednesdays before prayer meeting.  I am the director and also help cook.  So I can pretty much do what I want to.  I have been sneaky!  One night I had a couple of crock pots of Lentile soup.  We have a regular meal plus a salad bar and sometimes if I have time I will have some soup for those who want it.  I usually have homemade vegetable soup with ground beef in it.  A lot of people wanted to try it and thought it was good.  Last week everyone helping in the kitchen wanted to have something lighter after all the Thanksgiving food.  They wanted to have soup and sandwiches and the salad bar.  We had the vegetable soup and I made some of the pizza soup.  doubled the recipe.  I wanted to see how it would go over.  It was a hit.  The pastor's wife told one of the ladies in the kitchen to "tell Miss Faye she can have pizza soup anytime she wants to".  She said the pastor liked it and had 2 bowls.  He has a reputation for being a picky eater so she was "impressed".  Then tonight after church I was waiting for my husband to get out of a deacon's meeting along with a couple of other deacon's wives.  One of them said, Miss Faye, that soup you had Wed. night was the best soup I ever put in my mouth".  They have both been on Weight Watchers and were wanting to know what was in it.  Well, I just couldn't remember everything that was in it so I sent them to the web sight hoping they will start reading it and want to try it.  A lot of people said it was good but those are the two that I especially remember.

Anyone have any suggestions what I can try next?

Faye