BETH'S BROCCOLI SOUP-UPDATED 051510

All our yummy soup recipes!
BMorg

BETH'S BROCCOLI SOUP-UPDATED 051510

Post by BMorg »

I am updating the recipe and posting it below. I incorrectly posted the wrong amount of broccoli in my first recipe....when I said bunches, I meant the bunches that are held together by a big rubber band. When I made mine this morning, when I took the rubber band off the two "bunches" I had, there was more like 8-10 bunches. It was chocked full of chopped broccoli all the way to the top of the pot. Also, after tasting mine, it didn't need any salt, and usually I tend to salt too much. Can't wait for dh to get home. He's going to love this updated soup with beans as thickener.

BETH'S BROCCOLI SOUP - UPDATED 051510
1 lg or 2 med onions, chopped
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch of red pepper flakes

8-10 bunches chopped broccoli
6 cans of chicken broth
1 can northern beans

Saute onions, garlic and red pepper flakes in olive oil until onion is translucent.
Add chicken broth, and chopped broccoli, cook for 30 minutes. Add beans, heat for 10 more minutes.

Then blend a couple cups at a time in blender. If you put more than that in the blender, you risk having hot soup splatter out of the blender.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0n7Qks/]

Beth M.
RESTART 10/14/11
10/14/11 Wheat Belly: 49 inches :/   11/4/11 Wheat Belly: 46 inches :)
Psalm 27:13
I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living.
barrypaxton
Master Member

Re: BETH'S BROCCOLI SOUP-UPDATED 051510

Post by barrypaxton »

I made this yesterday afternoon. It was delicious. The only problem is that the sodium in the canned chicken broth has really caused me to swell today. Usually my rings are falling off my fingers. Today they are so tight, I can hardly move them. I don't even want to think what this has done to my blood pressure today!! Guess if I make this again, I will make my own chicken broth!!!

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Ollie,
I use the low sodium, no MSG chicken broth in the box instead of the can.
I still swell some but not as much as with the canned stuff.
Making your own is best.
Sometimes when I am in a hurry and buy a broasted chicken from wal-mart or sam's I boil the slin and bones to make a broth.
Skim the fat. I know there is alot of salt in the seasoning they use, but it is not so much when you add 6-8 qts of water.
I freeze the broth and can use it in different dishes.
For some skillet dishes I may only add a few "chunks" of the frozen broth and more water.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

Linda, what I used was fat-free and 50% less sodium. It does have MSG so that may be the culprit!! I only have 1 more can of it so I'll be more careful on my next purchase.

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I considered making the comment that the MSG also can cause swelling.
But that may be just for certain people. It does make me swell.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Just thought I would let you guys know, if you don't know it already, that the bbq rotiserie chickens at the grocery stores have MSG in the bbq seasoning.  I think the lemon pepper chickens and the herb chickens are free of msg (I think), but I know the bbq has MSG, because I have asked at a number of the stores in my area, and they never know until they go get the jar of seasoning to look at it, and then they report that yes, it does say monosodium glutemate on the jar, so I stay away from the bbq chickens and either get the herb, lemon pepper or plain rotiserie chickens.  Broasted chickens might be totally different.  I don't know of any place in my area that sells broasted chickens.  Jerrie
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I guess I have been getting the plain rotisserie chicken. One convenience store around here called the Broasted.....maybe broiled/roasted?????
I have yet to find a store-bought BBQ sauce that doesn't contain MSG or "natural flavorings". Best to make your own.
Linda

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Linda - The bbq rotiserie chickens in this area have a bbq seasoning that they shake on them, not actually a sauce.  I do love bbq sauce.  I have looked on line quite a bit over the last couple of years for good bbq sauce recipes.  Do you have a favorite bbq sauce recipe that you make?  Jerrie
Charlotte C.

Post by Charlotte C. »

Beth I made this soup the other day. I did not put mine in the blender because I loved the way it looked but I was afraid I would not like it. But all I can say is OMG!! (OH MY GOODNESS) I could not believe how good it is. That you so much for sharing this great recipe. I will be making this one again :thumbsup:
                                Charlotte
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Jerrie,
I am trying to do this via phone.
Here is CQ 's recipe for BBQ seasoning
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/in ... pic=7304.0
Go to the main page and click on sauces and seasonings and then type in BBQ in the search pane. I am sure there are recipes for BBQ sauces also
Linda

JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks so much Linda.  CQ's recipe looks good.  I also found a bbq recipe that Mary J posted, and I think there might be some other posts on bbq recipes I will have to check out.  Thanks again.  Jerrie