Slow Cooker - BLACK BEAN 'N' PUMPKIN CHILI

All our yummy soup recipes!
southernyankee

Re: Slow Cooker - BLACK BEAN 'N' PUMPKIN CHILI

Post by southernyankee »

Hi y'all - Ollie and Linda RN, thanks for these two Cincinnati Chili recipes. I'll add them to my LDL file.

Seems like either some gremlins or some other pumpkin hoarders have been active in my area - Would ya believe I went to the market and there was NO  :shock: Libbey's 100% Pumpkin on the shelf?   

:'(  But fortunately, before I broke out in a cold sweat or had an emotional breakdown, I did find three cans of "Farmer's Market Organic Pumpkin" from Oregon -ingredients: Certified organic pumpkin. Wow, was that a relief!They cost a whole lot more than the price listed for Libbey's but I grabbed two of them quicker than you can say, "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!"  :laughing: I made sure to leave the last can, though. It wouldn't be right to make some other pumpkin hoarder go thru pumpkin withdrawal.  ;)

Now that I know that canned pumpkin in July could be as scarce as hen's teeth  :teeth: I'll have to saddle up and get on down to the pumpkin aisle a lot more often. And while I'm there I'll buy some unsweetened chocolate because I definitely am going to try these Cincinnati chili recipes.

Best regards,
southernyankee
southernyankee
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

You guys make me laugh with the hoarding of pumpkins.  *woot*
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Not funny, Snoopy! The only reason you could find it funny is that you are a hoarder also....or you can still get pumpkin there on the west coast!  :drool: Better get your pumpkin under lock and key, the great pumpkin theives may be lurking. :cool: Let see when was that race? She won't be home....lets raid her pantry. *evil* By the time she finds out she will be way too tired from winning her race to come after us!  :yawn:*woot*
Last edited by LINDA RN on October 26th, 2010, 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

You will have to sort through my many cans of beans to find my pumpkin.  I will have to put my dog on watch duty  *evil*  *woot* for race day. 
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I never heard of Cincinnati chili before.  Is it really that good?  I love to try different things.  Since I never had it, I surely wouldn't miss the spaghetti!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Yep it is very good. Coworker made it and I had to wrangle the recipe out of her. Said she got it from the food network. She also said she adds more cinnamon than it calls for.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

I just posted my Slow Cooker Recipe for Cincinnati Chili.  It is almost like the ones posted in this thread but done in the slow cooker and has more beans.  I like to cook in the slow cooker because when I get home the house smells great and dinner is done.  Enjoy.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I am going to make it today and plan to add black and garbanzo beans in addition to Pintos (I can't handle the kidney beans).
Linda

jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

I tried the black bean and pumpkin chili and it was amazing!! Thanks for sharing! I used the ground turkey in it and next time I might add more beans! The pumpkin gave it such a unique flavor.
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

I am so happy that you liked it. 
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

This looks great....gonna try it this week....will probably double, thanks Snoopy!  Also, this is probably a great time to buy that case of pumpkin for hoarding. :thumbsup:  It seems to be plentiful this year.

Blessings,
Julie
knighte

Post by knighte »

Just made this today and we all loved it. Some left over and put in the freezer for a rainy/snowy day.  :drool:
P
E
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

"This is the best chili ever!"-My 10yo :thumbsup:  I guess I would need to buy about two cases for my family to be among the pumpkin hoarder ranks?!

We doubled the recipe and substituted a large can of chopped green chilies for the sweet yellow peppers (doubled=two large cans).  We also added some cayenne pepper and used cilantro instead of parsley.  We did the meatless version last night and the kids finished up with meat today for lunch.  We renamed it before it made it's way to the table "winter chili" so that my younger boys would try it, because they haven't been big on pumpkin (it tastes nothing like pumpkin...just acts as an incredible thickening agent).
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

I like the Cilantro idea.  Love that stuff.  I am going to make a batch soon. 
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I wanted to do something else with Pumpkin besides the chili since we have chili alot.
Here's how I get creative!
I grabbed a big can of pumpkin, a can of mixed veggies, a can of black beans, a can of great northern beans and a can of chick peas. Grabbed a sprig of fresh sage and about 6 bay leaves left over from Christmas, and a jar of rosemary and thyme along with a couple fresh jalepenos to take to work with me along with the Presto Fry Daddy Pot.

I started with some of the frozen seasoning (onions, celery and sweet peppers) which I usually saute in oil (that I forgot to bring), but decided that since I did not have any broth to add I would just use the water and ice crystals to dilute the pumpkin, so just scooped out the pumpkin and added a little water. I did add a little oil off the top of the Braggs Sesame and Ginger salad dressing for a little flavor before realizing I did not need the oil if I was not going to saute. Then since I had no broth, I added the canned veggies undrained. I did not even have filtered water, so figured the contents of the can could not be any worse than the city water out of the tap. Then I chopped the seeded jalepenos and added spices. It still tasted too "pumpkin-y" so the finishing touch was the 1/3 of a bottle of Coconut Aminos. Then adding in the diced smoked turkey finished the pot and it smelled and tasted soooo good.

It seems I to better just throwing together whatever I have on hand than actually trying to follow a recipe.
I used to wonder if I was the "leftover queen" of my family.
It's good that I can finally put my waste-not mentality to better use!
The pumpkin adds the creaminess to the soup and is so healthy and filling.
If you like creamed soups try using pumpkin instead of milk and flour.
You choice of veggies will determine the flavor.
Linda

southernyankee

Post by southernyankee »

LINDA RN,
I've been out of the loop for some months with a only few short visits to the boards to peek in on LDL'ers. I am intrigued to read about your taking the FryDaddy frypot and all those cans of goodies and seasonings TO WORK (???) to make up a yummy meal. Please excuse me but I would like further explanation of how you do this healthful cooking in an appliance that is normally associated with fried food. I wouldn't have thought of doing this even at home, but it sure sounds quick and easy. Is it essentially the same idea as using a crockpot, except it cooks fast instead of slow?

My DH bought one of those FryDaddys within the last year and he and DS have fried fish/chicken/potatoes from it several times a week. I haven't eaten those fried types of foods in years.... since before I learned of the LDL w.o.e. And I wouldn't eat 'em now ON A DARE.  :stop:  Haven't had anything from DH's new FryDaddy - fried stuff just has no appeal for me. But do you mean to say that I could actually cook healthful food in that thing? That would be amazing and I would like to give it a try...... just gotta build up my courage and get some more info like how long to cook, what order to add the ingredients, how to clean the pot afterward and so forth.

Thanks for your help!
Best wishes,
southernyankee

BTW, one of the nice things about not having fried foods (ie. "ruined" foods, IMHO) is that the kitchen doesn't get that greasy film all over it. And after DH's initial cooking sessions with the FryDaddy in our kitchen, it really needed to be scrubbed down...so now he does his fried cooking outside under the patio cover - his decision, not mine, and made with absolutely no comment from me!  :)  He really is a great guy even if he does like to eat fried food!  :D
southernyankee
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Well, SY,
The Frydaddy idea came from DH who wanted something to heat stew up in while doing some on-site-away-from home welding jobs.
He was able to plug it in to his welder and did not take up as much room as a microwave  :D
You are right, it is a just a fast cooker, although you can turn it down really low.
I can even brown chicken breasts in OO then simmer with veggies.
When browning just use a little olive oil for chicken. If I am browing hamburger for something like taco soup, I don't add oil.
Once the meat is done, add veggies and broth or whatever to cook and keep warm.
Trouble is, the Environment of Care Committee made rounds today and saw it in the break room and decided we could not "cook" in the break room because there is not 2 exits. So I will insist they get rid of all microwaves in rooms that don't have 2 exits.
Brand new clinic and I guess the planners did not know about OSHA regs or else they just believe a break room is for sodas, chips and donuts!
It was good while it lasted anyway. Guess I am stuck with cold lunches for a while until I figure something else out!
Linda

CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

LINDA RN,

I guess I've always been lucky since I'm a "salad freak." Whenever I know I'm going to have to be on site working I just take a HUGE salad with tuna from a large can (you could probably use chicken or steak) and a little feta cheese (blue cheese would probably work, too). I make my own dressing and carry it with me in my purse (I've used it in restaurants, too). It's more than enough to keep me satisfied before I finally make it home for dinner.

CQ
Sneaky Snoopy
Master Member

Post by Sneaky Snoopy »

RT - I hope you like it.