Broccoli salad or LP's Surprise Salad

If you're looking for a great salad, check here first!
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Broccoli salad or LP's Surprise Salad

Post by LittlePrincess »

Hello you beautiful people!  One of my friends makes this broccoli salad that I used to love.  The problem is that her salad was full of cheese, pasta, LOTS of mayo and sugar.  Today I got to looking at what I had on hand and wondered if I could make this salad LDL friendly.  I did it! 

LP's Surprise Salad  ( I call it surprise salad because it doesn't sound like it would taste good but I promise it does!)

1 cup fresh broccoli florets
1 thick slice of red onion diced
1/2 red apple peeled and diced
2 boiled eggs chopped or diced
2 level TBS Mayo
salt and pepper (I like LOTS of pepper!)
1 packet splenda

Mix and enjoy.  This salad gets even better after it's been chilled for a couple of hours. 

Okay now for my disclaimer.  I don't eat the light mayo.  I have tried them all and I just don't like any of them.  So following Rogers advice I eat the least fattening that tastes good to me.  For me personally this is Duke's.  It has no sugar added and the least amount of added ingredients.  That being said, I don't eat it very often and when I do I use the least amount that will coat whatever salad I'm making.  If you like the low fat/ no fat versions you can add more mayo if you want. 

You can also either add or substitute drained mandarin oranges for the apples, but I prefer the crunch and freshness of the apples.  The red onion makes this salad.  It is YUMMA!  Also, I'm a single gal so I don't make a large batch.  It would be easy to make a bigger batch if you have more mouths to feed though.

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Re: Broccoli salad or LP's Surprise Salad

Post by blessed »

I am gonna have to try this one.  Sounds good to me.  :thumbsup:
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

I tried LP's surprise salad. Loved it! Thanks
Tina
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

YUM!  I'm always looking for a new salad to serve in place of the potatoes I don't have anymore and this one looks like it will make it into my recipe binder -- thanks for posting  *hug*
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

A co-worker brought this salad to work.It was sooooo good and sweet enough to eat as a desert.
She said she used the vegennaise she bought at the Health Food Center. Maybe I have been off sweets long enough now that that bit of honey made it taste so sweet. I am sure you can substitute Stevia for the honey. For me, when I try it, I will use half the amount of honey.

Broccoli Salad

4 cups broccoli florets
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1 cup red grades, halved
2 ribs celery, chopped

Dressing:

¾ cup Nayonnaise, grapeseed vegennaise, or almond mayonnaise
1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons raw honey

Mix dressing and pour over salad. Stir well. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Enjoy!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Linda,

Thank you for posting another broccoli salad.  I'll make this one too, but will use light mayo and regular honey (don't have a health food store anywhere nearby).  I will, however, use just enough mayo and honey to coat the salad.

P.S. I just recently read something about reading ingredients listed in a recipe.  If the method of chopping, slicing, diceine is after the ingredient it mean that you measure before slicing, diceing, chopping. If method is before the ingredient you dice, chop, slice before measuring.  After all my years of cooking from recipes I have learned something new as I didn't know the difference.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I learned something new too, VickiLynn.
Did not know that either.

I bought the Veganase just to copy the salad and edded up throwing half a jar out.
I think the light May or the olive oil mayo will work just as well
The combination of the grapes and onions and broccoli was delish!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

I like the idea of using light mayo or mayo with olive oil with the great sounding recipe. Thanks to the remarkable recipe cooks on here.
Tina
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Tina I'm glad you liked it!  :thumbsup:

Linda I was amazed at the delishiousness of the combo as well.  I would have NEVER thought to put red onions and apples or grapes together.  I made this again the other day and tossed in some golden raisins.  They were delicious with it too.  :)  LDL ROCKS!

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by Kenzi »

Yum! Ill have to try it! Sounds like a good lunch for monday!