Sweet and Sour Bean Salad

If you're looking for a great salad, check here first!
VickiLynn
Master Member

Sweet and Sour Bean Salad

Post by VickiLynn »

1 can cut green beans, rinsed and drained
1 can cut yellow wax beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can butter beans, rinsed and drained
1 large green bell pepper, diced
1 large red onion, cut in half lengthwise and sliced horizontally
1 (4-oz.) jar diced pimentos
1/2 cup canola oil
2 cups thinly sliced celery
1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
2 cups Splenda
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 can tomato soup, undiluted

Place all beans, green pepper, onion and pimentos in a large mixing bowl. Add the oil and celery.

In a saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and tomato soup. Bring to a toil and pour over the vegetables. Toss the mixture lightly. Do this several times as the mixture cools. Cover the bowl and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. The salad will be better if kept chilled for 24 hours before serving. Before serving, drain and reserve the liquid; it will keep for several days and used again to pour over the leftover salad.
Last edited by VickiLynn on October 1st, 2012, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Re: Sweet and Sour Bean Salad

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks, VickyL.  I like  the idea of draining the liquid for reuse.  That's the way I do the Texas Caviar.  :thumbsup: JF
VickiLynn
Master Member

Re: Sweet and Sour Bean Salad

Post by VickiLynn »

I made this again yesterday and have let it sit in the refrig overnight to eat today.  One nice thing about this recipe is that all the flavors of the dressing add great taste to the veggies but by draining it you don't eat all the oil and sugar.  But, I do add a little of the juice when I eat it -- just a tad so I get a little with each bite.