Middle Eastern Vegetable Salad

If you're looking for a great salad, check here first!
omalani
Master Member

Re: Middle Eastern Vegetable Salad

Post by omalani »

I made this tonight but didn't have parsley, so I used cilantro. I left out the mint as well and put a little dried basil in it. It was very good and I will make it again soon. I had some chicken salad tonight on rye crisps and it gave me a little indigestion. I don't have any apples around either. Guess I'll have to get some tomorrow. Next time I will add the apples to my salad!!
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Omi,
Fresh mint is also good for the digestive system and helps with the indigestion. I had an Indian friend once and he used to have a plant in his garage stall. He chewed it when ever he ate Mexican Food! That always gave him indigestion. I told him it also helped him with his fresh breath.
He always brought in such wonderful curries from home. I miss those curries...I stole a piece of a mint plant and put it in a pot outside. It will grows like a weed and will take over the garden if it's not contained.
You know I love it in my cucumber and apple smoothies.
Zesti
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Zesti,
What about dried mint? I buy it an international store near us. Can I use it in salads and smoothies?

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Pat, Absoulutley! I dry my own from my plant for the winter months when the plant doesn't produce as much. It's wonderful in a cucumber and green apple smoothie.
Always remember. The longer the dry spice/herb sits on your shelf, the less flavor it has. I always rub between my palms and sniff before adding to pot. It tells me to add a little or add a lot.
Zesti
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Wonderful!! Thanks, Zesti. I've never had a cucumber, apple smoothie, but it sounds refreshing and our weather prognosticators say we're in for a week or more of mid 90's. How do you make that smoothie?

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Zesti, thanks for the tip, I am going through my spice cabinet and pare down. That mint I was looking for is probably 15 yrs. old. lol =))
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Pat,
I have found that using the Granny Smith apples gives it a much crisper taste, but when I don't have those in the house. I use any ole apple. If organic, I de-seed and use peel and all, same with the cucumbers. I grow organic..
If you want it really smooth, remove the cuc's seeds. I just jam it all in my ninja and let it rip! I believe you have a vita mix so you won't need to remove anything! :D
Oh, I will use a handful of grapes if I want something sweet. Usually I don't add any sugar/splenda/stevia to my smoothies, sometimes pineapple juice if the fruit doesn't have any taste, but so far for me. This year has been a great year for fruits, especially the peaches...Yummy with mint!
3 cucumbers
2- granny smith apples
4 sprigs fresh mint or dried. If dried, you might have to add more. It's a "too taste thing".
1/4 cup of juice, apple works good too and/or pineapple.
Most the time I don't need the juice as cucumbers provide all the liquid. But sometimes, I do want it sweeter.
And, I don't put ice in my smoothie when I blend them either. I make enough for the whole day, sometimes for the next day so I don't want it watered down. I just pour mine over ice cubes when I am ready to drink it.
I haven't frozen any yet. It's always my intention. but I just end up drinking what I make in a day.
Cucumbers take on the flavor of any other veggie or fruit. I have so many coming in my garden now, it's a good way to use them up. I have already made enough pickles to last us a year!
I have found that, with growing cucumbers. I don't have to purchase so much fruit from the store. They make my smoothies and my food budget go a lot further. That's always a good thing!!
IF I HAD A VITA MIX..haha. I would put the cuc's in whole, add chicken broth and a seasoning I was in the mood for, probably some kind of veggie I needed to use up and push that soup button. I can't wait to get mine.!!
Zesti
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

You are a doll!! Thanks for all the good information. We're picking our oldest daughter up at the airport in Nashville today and she wants to try all the things I eat on LDL. I know this is one she will love, 'cause she loves smoothies. I love the idea of making a lot and pouring it over ice when you want some. Little Mary always said that having a smoothie a little while before the big meal helps curb your appetite. One thing I always make sure I have plenty of in the hot weather is Gazpacho...cukes, tomatoes, sweet onions, green pepper and garlic. I add a little v-8 and that's it. I put some in a bowl about an hour before I want it and stick it in the freezer to get icy cold. Then I add some Frank's Redhot sauce and pig out!! Talk about satisfying.

I wish I had more of a green thumb. I grow basil and parsley and tomatoes in tubs on the patio and that's about it. I wish I was younger and had the energy of a 20 year old!!!! Oh, well, there are lots of things I can do that a 20 year old can't. :))

Thanks again, Zesti. Talk to you later.

Pat

Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Patsy,
You don't need acres for a garden. Plant a cucumber and/or tomatoe plant on your patio in pots. I am going to do a lot more of this. The mosquitoes in this area are so bad, it has really discouraged me from gardening. DH has taken the gardening over because of it. I really miss it.
When cucumbers went up to .89 a piece instead of 4 for $1.00. That's when they went in the ground and have stayed there! WE always have too many but we also have neighbors, so that works out. I have a reason to pop in and just say Hi! have some cucumbers!
I am trying to be patient waiting for my Vita Mix to come :-ss :-w :-w
I know with that, the cuc's will be a lot more creamy and you will have add less of any liquid also.
My DH won't drink "chunky" smoothies....
Zesti.
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi Linda been a long time since I have been on. Gained 20 pounds by just goofing off,now back on plan lost 5 pounds in first week so feeling better already. I like your recipe and will be sure to have some but gotta get some chick peas first. I ate them all lol all the ones I had. judie