Tori's Tuna & Veggie Salad

If you're looking for a great salad, check here first!
Tori

Post by Tori »

I started some experimenting in the kitchen yesterday, and came up with a great tuna salad that even my son loved! (He loves tuna, but only when it is made the "traditional way" ... mayo and salt and pepper) I even made this into a tuna melt. (:

(large batch!)

2 16 oz. cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
1 15 oz. can white/navy beans, drained
3  6 oz. cans tuna in water, drained
1/3 large onion
5 stalks celery
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup fat-free organic chicken stock
2 tbsp. light EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
Salt & fresh ground pepper to taste

Put beans in food processor, and blend until mostly creamy. (The garbanzo beans will still be a little chunky)

Add EVOO and blend well.

Slowly add in chicken stock a bit at a time.

Add onion, celery, and garlic. Pulse until veggies are coarsely chopped, but stop before they get too fine. This makes a nice thick paste, with some great bits of fresh veggies.

Pour into a large bowl, and add tuna. Stir with a fork. (this keeps the tuna from become part of the "mush", and gives a better flavor) Salt and pepper to taste, and you're done! (:

This is delicious to eat by itself, as a dip for fresh carrots or celery, or on a Tuna Melt! This makes a nice large batch, so you can keep some in the fridge for the next few days to use as a protein source. (:
Last edited by Tori on January 10th, 2007, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tori

Re: Tori's Tuna & Veggie Salad

Post by Tori »

Mary, it really *is* so yummy! Hubby told me last night about 4 times that it was great, and he was looking forward to having this in the fridge all the time. LOL! He's doing LDL with me, and is definitely losing weight too. He weighs in this Saturday, so I'll let you know what his weight loss has been. (:

Tress wrote:
If that snowman icon was any cuter, I would kiss him.  :-*
Love,
Tress

LOL, Tress! Your post seriously made me giggle! I just love these little guys .... I'm thinking of changing them with my mood. You never know what little smiley might show up next. hehe!
imkay

Post by imkay »

WOW tori we are going to love this stuff!! 

(and i got a food processor for Christmas so i can't wait to use it again!!) :)
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
Tori

Post by Tori »

Too funny! I got one for Christmas too. Hubby and son were very good to me this year. They bought me a food processor, a new set of non-stick cookware, a book by my favorite author, and of course some girly-foo-foo stuff. My boys can read me like a book! Woo hoo!
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Tori...how would you make w/ beans you have to soak? How many cups is what I'm wondering?! If you could, I'd like to try this one of these days!!
Thanks!
Corky
New, but learning

Post by Corky »

Tori, your tuna & veggie salad is the greatest!  I made it and took it to my Women On Mission meeting, everyone wanted the recipe and 2 of them did not like tuna (they thought) I took some corn thins and assorted crackers. No one had had corn thins before, so I launched into my "LDL info" plan I am doing and how much it has helped me with health, weight and craving issues! I believe several will be ordering books. I told them your recipe is only one of many great recipes. Thanks, Corky
Corky
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

It looks like this snowman is UNKISSABLE!  It looks like he is in trouble...
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
Tori

Post by Tori »

robnveronica wrote:Tori...how would you make w/ beans you have to soak? How many cups is what I'm wondering?! If you could, I'd like to try this one of these days!!
Thanks!

Veronica;
I looked at my cans of beans, and each can is about 1¾ cup of beans. So to do this with soaked beans, you would need:

White beans, 1¾ cups
Garbanzo's, 3½ cups

Hope this helps! (:

Corky;
I'm so glad you liked the recipe and that it went over so well for your Women's meeting!
Yay!! (:
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Thanks TORI!!!! I knew you'd figure it out for me!!!
imkay

Post by imkay »

i told my DH that we were having tuna fish for dinner last night.  he said ok whatever.  i said no honey this is different.  he took a bite, chewed, swallowed and said WOW this stuf is great.  so i told him what was in it and he looked at me and said, "IT'S AMAZING WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH A BEAN!!" 

ladied and gentlemen i think we have a convert.  how's that bean queen!!! 

tori this stuff is wonderful!  and i'm on my way to have some now. thanks for sharing!
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
niki

Post by niki »

the bean queen salutes you and your efforts.......NOW, i'm meeting friends for lunch today so i'm not eating dinner at home,but i'm dying to try these tuna melts.....
                                      signed,
                                the bean queen
Last edited by niki on January 13th, 2007, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tori

Post by Tori »

LOL, Kay! I love hearing stories like that. Glad you and hubby like the tuna so much. ;D

Veronica, I am sure you already know this, but make sure your beans are pre-cooked before measuring! (:
itsmimi

Post by itsmimi »

I can see why Mary said she thought you'd invented one of the best recipes ever shared on the website.  I add my compliments, Tori!

Mimi
trutan
New, but learning

Post by trutan »

Tori wrote:Too funny! I got one for Christmas too. Hubby and son were very good to me this year. They bought me a food processor, a new set of non-stick cookware, a book by my favorite author, and of course some girly-foo-foo stuff. My boys can read me like a book! Woo hoo!

I got a kitchen aid processor for xmas too. :D

Should get my book in the mail tomorrow :o
Last edited by trutan on January 16th, 2007, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

I know this post is 5 years old; but, this is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!! I would recommend you make it. My problem is how much to eat. My brain says fattening; but, my mouth says YUM!! Do we eat this just at meals? Or can it be a snack in small portions? My husband loves, loves it, too!!  ;D
Shari

LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Totally LDL legal.  Totally okay to eat it when you want it.  :) 

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by crickadoodle »

I never saw this recipe before.  Am going to bookmark it!
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Someone mentioned eating this with corn thins-yum! I'm going to make this recipe soon!

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

Thanks, LP! You just made 2 people very happy!!  *hug*
Shari