FAKED POTATO SALAD

If you're looking for a great salad, check here first!
DEBBIEWEBE

Re: FAKED POTATO SALAD

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Youre welcome LP...Id forgotten about this recipe.  It was delish!!!!  Thanks for bringing it back up to the top.  Now I will have to make some.
Love and God Bless
Debbie
sval59

Post by sval59 »

I can't wait to try this.  I love potato salad too - especially in the summer when grilling out a lot!  Sounds wonderful and very easy!

Cheryl
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Cheryl it rocks!  And no sitting there peeling potatoes.  Just open the can and rinse!  :D
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by savannah »

Thanks for the great recipe.... *love*

I added a little mustard and chopped Nalley sugar free Bread & Butter Pickles....(they are sweetened with splenda)....its soooo good!
Bonnie CHA!

Post by Bonnie CHA! »

I'm adding this recipe to my Memorial Day Cook Out...  I have sooo many really great ideas!

Thanks everyone!
On the journey....

savannah

Post by savannah »

I made this recipe this morning....let it set in the fridge until lunch....and Oh MY....it was better then my regular potato salad....

I revised a few things....and made a smaller batch...but still made a lot....more then I could eat at one sitting....IT IS SOOO DELICIOUS....THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE RECIPE..... :D

1 can Bushes SMALL butter beans, rinsed and drained....mashed slightly
2 hard boiled eggs
Nalley splenda bread & butter pickles & dill pickles, diced
organic celery, diced
onion, diced
PLACE YOKS IN BOWL, MASH WITH FORK....ADD:
2 T. Best Foods olive oil mayo (50 cal per T.)
1 heaping T. mustard
s & P
1-2 T. pickle juice

CHOP THE EGG WHITES, STIR WITH BEANS, CELERY, ONION, PICKLES.....Toss with mayonaisse mixture....
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Wow Your Welcome!!!!  Good to see all the new people scouring the boards and bringing up all the old favorite recipes again!!!!  I still make this all the time and sometimes I even mix in a can of white albacore tuna for a main meal.  I love the excitement these boards bring when newbies start eating right.  Its like we're handing out free prozac!!!!  I know when Im eating clean LDL I feel the best I ever feel.  Isnt Lets Do Lunch the greatest?  Its like all you have to do is think of what your favorite food is and you can easily figure out a LDL substitute.  Eating the least objectionable version that still appeals to you.  Thats what its all about. 
Love and God Bless
Debbie
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Amen, Little Debbie?  How are you doing, by the way?  Nice to see your posts!!!

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Savannah, your bread & butter pickles and juice probably are loaded with sugar.  Might want to watch that.

Glad you are enjoying betato salad.  There is also a German one for when Oktoberfest rolls around.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

hey pat Im good....Ihink I responded to the last message you wrote me but it probably got buried in the sea of newbie messages lol.  Gwennie I buy Mt Olive sugar free bread and butter pickles and relish....thats probably what shes using too....I hope she is lol
Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

I was going to modify my own recipe for potato salad but was a bit hesitant. I can cook but I'm not terribly creative or adventurous in the kitchen - although I'm pretty good with oil paint on canvas. Anyway, I appreciate that you've posted your recipe for modified potato salad and I'll give it a try and look forward to enjoying it throughout the year - not just a summer thing. Eljayne
heretotheend

Post by heretotheend »

Think I will try this the way my family likes it

butter beans
                    a little chopped green peppers
                    cubed pickles (sweetened wirh splenda)
                    mustard
                    lf or ff mayo

I will just wing it and put in the amounts of each item until it looks and tastes like I want it to.

Hope it will be a tasty as some of the other recipes  I have made.

Martha
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

I thought I'd just poke a note in here, since there's new interest about this recipe.

You can find Splenda-sweetened sweet pickles...regular Gherkin style and Bread and Butter.  Savannah listed a brand called Nalley, which I've never heard of.  I've purchased Mt Olive and Vlasic Splenda sweet pickles at WalMart and our local grocery stores.  If you'd like some on had to add to recipes, it's probably worth it to order some online.  If you're eating them every day, try to get your grocery store to carry them for you.

You can also "fake" your own sweet pickles.  Start with a jar of dill pickles, pour off some of the vinegar, add a few packets of Splenda, refill, subbing a little water so the brine isn't quite a strong.  If you start with whole large dills, quarter them. Refrigerate and shake a little for a few days. 

If you Google  Splenda sweetened pickles  there are suggestions all over the web for doing your own, including from scratch.  During my search I found this site that has recipes using Splenda: http://food.yahoo.com/partners/splenda  Of course, most of them aren't LDL friendly. 

But this one is:

Fuzzy Orange Smoothie

Prep Time: 5 min. Cook Time: -Serves: 2.Recipe Provided By: SPLENDA® BRAND

.Ingredients
1 small ripe banana, sliced
1 cup frozen peach slices
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons SPLENDA(R) No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated (or three packets)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1.Combine all ingredients in a blender in the order listed; process mixture until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
Yield: 2 servings
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE

Here it is again.  Brought it back up to the top so I get my credit in next revised book  and so all the newbies can make some to go with their corn thin sandwiches and made rights and grilled chicken this summer lol

FAKED POTATO SALAD

Mix together in large bowl:
3 tablespoons lowfat light mayo
1 tsp vinegar
1 packet splenda sweetner
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp Salt

then add:
4 cans Joan of Arc Butter Beans Drained/rinsed
3 hard boiled Eggs Chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup thin sliced celery

Refrigerate Eat and Enjoy!!!!
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

You can also "fake" your own sweet pickles.  Start with a jar of dill pickles, pour off some of the vinegar, add a few packets of Splenda, refill, subbing a little water so the brine isn't quite a strong.  If you start with whole large dills, quarter them. Refrigerate and shake a little for a few days.  

Holy cow what a great idea..........I wondered what I would do if they ever stopped making the splenda sweet relish and pickles.  Thanks for sharing this.
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

I like regular sweet pickle relish (I mean the flavor..I use Mt Olive Splenda sweetened)  but if you prefer Bread and Butter, you can make your own with this:

http://food.yahoo.com/recipes/splenda/1 ... er-pickles

Bread and butters are always "yellow"  from the turmeric, and they've got a bit of clove flavor. 
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Thanks for all the info on pickles!

I've been looking at several of the stores I go to regularly, and haven't been able to find splenda-sweetened pickles or relish. I'll take a look at WalMart, next time I'm near there, and also check into making my own! Nalleys is a Northwest brand, made near Seattle, so y'all in the south, east, and probably midwest won't have it. But then, I haven't ever seen Mt Olive here.

I'm usually a kosher pickle kinda gal, but sometimes there's no substitute for the sweets, or bread & butter. Oh, yum! I thought I was gonna have to give those up for good! Now there's hope!  :thumbsup:

This is SUCH a great bunch of helpful people!
Terri
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

my walmart has bread and butter Mt Olive w/splenda pickles already in the jar
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

DEBBIEWEBE wrote:my walmart has bread and butter Mt Olive w/splenda pickles already in the jar

My WalMart stopped carrying the Splenda version four or five years ago...alas.  I'm sure it varies from market to market.  When I head "back home" I can pick them up at Kroger, so I keep a stock of them.  Most of the stores around here don't carry Mt Olive at all. 
Sunny Girl
New, but learning

Post by Sunny Girl »

Wow...I just read this and can hardly WAIT to fix it....Lunch for tomorrow for sure.    Thanks  :D