3 Bean salad

If you're looking for a great salad, check here first!
borntolose

3 Bean salad

Post by borntolose »

I have a recipe for Three Bean Salad that I think is ok but since I am new to LDL I thought I'd check.

It consists of: 1 can Bush's black beans, 1 can Bush's garbonzo beans, 1 can Bush's red kidney beans, 1/2 cup chopped red onion, 1/2  cup chopped green pepper, 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 3 Tablespoons Splenda, 1 teaspoon celery seed, and 1 minced garlic. Mix together and refrigerate over night. 

It's really good so I hope it's legal.
EnJae
Master Member

Re: 3 Bean salad

Post by EnJae »

The only thing I would caution you on is to read the ingredients lists on the Bush's cans. That brand often adds sugars. If they do just pick another brand.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Born- Your recipe sounds wonderful.  Like NJ cautioned, always check your beans for sugar.  Why, oh why, would they add sugar to canned beans??!  Also, I bet the recipe would be just as good with 1/2 the olive oil.  I'm gonna make it tomorrow.  Thank you.  Pam
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

This recipe sounds delicious!  Let us know if the brands have sugar in them.  If they don't I want to add that recipe to my files.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weAJS0m/]
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Tonz- Always read the label.  Even the same brand of the same beans will have sugar sometimes and no sugar another.  The more you read labels, the clearer it becomes that sugar is a "silent" ingredient in many things you would never suspect!  Pam
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

Pam-Thanks for the info about reading the labels.  Amazing & frustruating that the same label will have sugar in it one time and not another.  Now I know that I will have to schedule more time when I make my grocery store trip.  I started today and I have to admit that when I went to the grocery store this weekend I just grabbed beans.  I better go check them tonight.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weAJS0m/]
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Tonz- If they have sugar and you don't want to return them, put them in a colander and rinse them well.  I find that this helps considerably with the "gas" issues on all beans.  BTW, the longer you are on plan, the less this (gas) will be a problem.  Pam
Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

I made a 3-bean salad similar to this today but used the typical waxed and green beans with kidney beans. I used taragon vinegar and EVOO along with the worchestershire sauce and added green peppers, onions, pepper and a bit of garlic. It's great on a lettuce salad in place of a fat free salad dressing. YUMMOO!  Seems a few of us are on the same page lately. I also have a no crust apple pie in the oven. Fall mean apple pie in MN. It smells good. I sure hope it tastes good. I just made it like I make my apple pie but put it in a covered pie plate without crust and baked it for an hour.  Can't wait to try it.  *woot* Lynda
PatZee

Post by PatZee »

I have a neighborhood cookout on Memorial Day.  I promised to bring a 3-bean salad.  However, I'm going to be out of town for the weekend & so think this, or some variation depending on what I have on hand, will be good to prep ahead 

I also promised to bring a fruit mix for dessert.  (Gotta sneak in my LDL foods!)  Following the Red, White & Blue theme, I'll bring a mixture of strawberries, blueberries & sliced bananas that have been dipped in lemon juice to keep their color.  I'll prep this at the last minute.  Hope the grocery will have the fruit on hand when I get back in town!
Rbt

Post by Rbt »

Eljayne,
I have made some no crust apple pies..well to me that is what they are.  I have added cranberries and raisins to the apples (just sprinkled cinnamon on top). the raisins rescue me from the cranberries and I feel that they marry together all the flavors very well. Sometimes I need to add a bit of water and just bake - goodness and I can eat away!