Waldorf Slaw

If you're looking for a great salad, check here first!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Waldorf Slaw

Post by LINDA RN »

Greetings, I am new to the site. Darling Husband saw the clip on the 700 Club and has been after me to check it out. He is a Pinto Bean lover from his youth and liked Roger Troy's emphasis on beans. BTW taking probiotics ended the gas problem for me with beans.
We started our journey to skinnytown by eliminating bread, crackers. processed meats, and white potatoes. DH has lost 50 something pounds. We have been having cornbread with our beans so now looks like that has to go also. :sad:

DH loves hand-cut cabbage for slaw (doesn't like it finely shredded.) He has been experimenting with some variations. His latest is outstanding. He thin-slices cabbage, adds celery, radishes, baby carrots, diced apples, and walnuts. This week he added some Broccoli slaw I got at Wal-Mart for added health benefits. He has been using Miracle Whip for the dressing because we cannot find a healthy alternative that has the same taste. I want to get away from Miracle Whip because they use high fructose corn syrup in it. I found Melodie's Tangy dressing and will give that one a try. I may try it with yogurt instead of Mayo. The apples and the walnuts really set it off. We love it.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Re: Waldorf Slaw

Post by MsHeirloom »

Linda- The recipe sounds delicious.  We don't use nuts, but seems like there would be plenty of crunch without them.  I'm going to make a big bunch tomorrow.  Welcome to LDL, you will love this plan :thumbsup:!  Pam
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Are nuts not allowed on LDL or is it just a personal preference?

(HealthCastle.com) Walnuts are one of the best plant sources of protein. They are rich in fiber, B vitamins, magnesium, and antioxidants such as Vitamin E.  Nuts in general are also high in plant sterols and fat - but mostly monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (omega 3 fatty acids - the good fats) that have been shown to lower LDL cholesterol. Walnuts, in particular, have significantly higher amounts of omega 3 fatty acids as compared to other nuts.

Since walnuts contain relatively high levels of l-arginine, an essential amino acid, they may also be of special import when it comes to hypertension. In the body (specifically within those hard-working blood vessels), l-arginine is converted into nitric oxide, a chemical that helps keep the inner walls of blood vessels smooth and allows blood vessels to relax. Since individuals with hypertension have a harder time maintaining normal nitric oxide levels, which may also relate to other significant health issues such as diabetes and heart problems, walnuts can serve as a great addition to their diets.

Actually DH prefers the pungent black walnuts but I have not been able to find them in larger bags yet. I ran out of the bags Wal-Mart had last summer. Figured there would be a new crop this fall.

BTW how did you get your weight ticker to insert in your posts?
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Nuts are not recommended because of the high fat and calorie content.  Roger says that there is a difference between healthy eating and healthy eating for weight loss.  I know we would all like to keep eating the foods we love, but this plan works.  Roger says that no one has ever followed the plan as written and not lost all the weight he/she wanted.  I hope you will try the plan for 3 months and see for yourself.  You will love this plan and this discussion group.  After you reach your goal, you may be able to add back some of the healthy foods that you formerly enjoyed.  Pam
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

For the ticker, go to http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/

Welcome to LDL!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weAJS0m/]
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I make a ticker before I posted and put the url in theweb site under signature but it did not show up in my post
Linda

scarlett859

Post by scarlett859 »

You should put the ticker in your signature.  :D
[glow=grey,2,300]GEAUX TIGERS![/glow]
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wKZCQDt/]
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Got a real laugh out of your description of "snacking" on almonds, only for me it would be worse. I would gorge on pistaccios or cashews which I am sure are higher calories than almonds. I don't like walnuts enough to eat as snacks, so having them around to flavor a salad is no tempation for me. :D
We do have the blessing of having enough land to raise our own laying hens and meat chickens. Fresh eggs and chicken is a good start.

I've been enjoying reading the posts and recipes. Thank you for all your help.
Linda

crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Welcome, LindaRN!  I've been doing this for 4 months and just love it.  The best part is that you aren't deprived and feeling sorry for yourself because of being on a diet.  It isn't a diet, but a livet -- something you can live with.  I love that.  I'm never crabby because of not eating enough food.  I am at the point where I'm on the receiving end of lots of compliments and lots of people are asking me how to do this wonderful way of eating.  I want to see others experience the success I have.  I never thought I'd be slim again, but with LDL it is so easy and fun.
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

Welcome Linda!  I've only been on LDL for one month (weigh tomorrow).  I haven't had as much of a success in pounds lost as some of these ladies but MY TIME IS COMING!  I have eaten out way too much in the first month.  What I consider a major success on my part is that when I go out and I don't eat the things that I used to it doesn't bother me at all--I do not feel deprived because I'm eating the LDL way.  That is so different from all the other diets (and I've been on them all) I've been on.  I would get sulky and feel deprived because I couldn't have the wonderful bread dipped in oil and then I would cave and have it anyway--then get sulky and depressed because I ate it!  This woe makes the cravings disappear!  LDL is amazing!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weAJS0m/]
redkat

Post by redkat »

Hi, Linda.

Welcome to LDL.  You and your husband were already on the right path before LDL, so you are well on your way.  It's great that he likes the beans, he'll LOVE this plan.  

Thanks for the tip about the probiotics.  Any particular brand you use.  I could use the help with the "bean fuel" as my body is a little slow getting used to that.  But then, I do eat a lot of beans, both in hot foods and in cold foods.

Kathy

p.s.  Love the signature above your ticker.
Kathy
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Hi Kathie,

I started watching Dr. Becker on a Christian TV staton and what he said about the importance of the probiotics really hit me. I started with his because his brand did not have to be refrigerated. They were pricey though, so I started looking for others at the Health Food Store. Couldn't really tell the difference, so went back to Dr. Becker's. He has a half price sale twice a year so I try to stock up. DH also uses the children's chewable probiotics instead of tums and it has helped him. We both only take them occassinally now and always when we have to take antibiotics which is nearly never now.
DH has always (since his 20's) had alot of indigestion. He ran the gammit of Maalox, Digel, tums zantac, etc. Once he started on the probiotics he was able to stop the zantac and only occassionally used tums. I only had occassional indigestion (I tell people that I did not get to be nearly 100 lbs overweight because of any food intolerances or stomach distress.) But I had been plagued with gas. For some reason I could eat blackeyed peas without much problem, but pinto beans, navy beans lima beand and worst of all kidney beans gave me horrible gas cramps and very fould expelled gas-usually at the worst time! So I avoided them altogether. Then it got to be that even pasta gave we uncontrollable gas. After probiotics it all stopped for me. Husband grew up eating pinto beans twice a day six days a week and he never had a weight problem. So he decided we needed to eat more beans. For the past couple years we have been soaking up all the nutrition information we can. We have been slowing getting off the eating out, and eliminating as much of the processed food as we can. Husband's favorite meal would be pinto beans, fried potatoes, cornbread, with fresh tomato and opnion slaces on the side. He was able to give up the potatoes nearly a year ago and is now ready to back off the cornbread. I am just happy to now come home from work with supper already cooked. The beans are delicious and filling and I am loosing weight. One thing that made the beans better for me: a few years back my mother gave me a "quick cooker" she got on QVC. It is kinda like a pressure cooker but not exactly. Husband Gary can get beans cooked in 2 hours and the beans are so soft!!! They taste better than being cooked on the stove in a regular pot or in a crock pot. Cooks Essentials have discontinues it . What a shame.
I am doing alot of rambling here. Guess I need to start a journal.
Linda

mtngirl

Post by mtngirl »

Hi Linda,

Welcome to the LDL board.  Just want to ask what brand of Probiotic you use and how long it took to alleviate your gas problem.  This Way of Eating would be perfect if I could eat the beans.

Thank you for your help,
Alisa
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Hi Alisa,
I an using Bionutrients Probiotic Plus but I have also used other brands especially if they were on sale at the Health Food Store. Seemed like it only took a week on them for the gas to completely dissappear. I have also figured out that you don't have to continue taking them once the gas is gone. it will come back if you fall off the wagon and get into the processed sweets. Just get back on the plan and take the probiotics again until the gas subsides.
Linda