Texas Caviar ( corn/bean salad)

If you're looking for a great salad, check here first!
Country Girl

Texas Caviar ( corn/bean salad)

Post by Country Girl »

This recipe was given to me by a good friend - from Ohio!  I do not know from where the name originated, but it is a delicious side dish or dip for a party.  Serve it with corn thins or tortilla chips and watch it disappear!

Ingredients:

Dressing: This makes a lot of dressing.  I have experimented with cutting down the amounts and it has still tasted delicious.

1/2 cup white vinegar
  1 cup EVOO
  1 cup Splenda

In small sauce pan, add vinegar and Splenda.  When Splenda is dissolved, add  EVOO.  Heat to boiling.  Remove from heat and allow to cool while fixing salad.

Salad:
  3 cans white shoepeg corn (drain & rinse)
  2 cans black beans (drain & rinse)
  1 can black-eyed peas (drain & rinse)
  1 - 2 cans chopped green chilies (drain & rinse)
  6 - 8 stalks of celery - diced
  6 - 8 green onions - chopped

Add of all of the salad ingredients to a large bowl and mix well.  Pour dressing over mixture. You may add extra beans, corn, and vegetables to make a larger bowl. Stir and chill for several hours. 
savannah

Re: Texas Caviar ( corn/bean salad)

Post by savannah »

Thanks for the great recipe!  I replaced the green chiles with red & green bell pepper, chopped fine...great flavors! :rolleyes:
Country Girl

Re: Texas Caviar ( corn/bean salad)

Post by Country Girl »

Savannah - I like the idea of adding the red and green peppers.  I may try that.  My niece's family added finely chopped radishes and really like it!  Glad you liked the recipe!  Country Girl    :D