Tuna-Apple Salad

If you're looking for a great salad, check here first!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Tuna-Apple Salad

Post by LINDA RN »

Found this on a web site.
To make it LDL approved, omit the nuts and substitute mayo for the yogurt. I may try it as is for an every once in a while treat. Sounds good to use in a lettuce wrap.

Mix together: 1 can tuna (chopped), 1 chopped apple (peeled), 1 stick chopped celery, 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts, and grapes sliced in quarters (optional).

Add fat-free plain yogurt, salt, and pepper to taste.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
bimmel20

Re: Tuna-Apple Salad

Post by bimmel20 »

Question, why omit the yogurt in favor of mayo? Would greek style yogurt not be acceptable?
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Roger discourages dairy, for me I would use the Greek Yogurt since I don't like mayo.
I have found a better substitute for Miracle Whip though. It is Grapeseed Veganase and I really like it.
I was soooo excited about it because it has such healthy ingredients, then I read the label!
The Veganase has 90 calories per tablespoon and the Miracle Whip only has 40!
Oh well, so much for that. I will use it in place of Miracle Whip because I just refuse to use HFCS if there is a substitute.
Just will not use it very often and will look for a different kind.
I have had the Greek Yogurt go bad on me because I just did not use it enough.
Was looking for something that would keep better.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

I was thinking that in place of regular nuts maybe dry roasted edamame "nuts" can be thrown in at the last minute. (May go soft if added earlier). I buy the wasabi type- hot! but good~

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

SweetRose - just wondering what is the brand name of the wasabi type hot edamame and where do you buy them?  What kind of package are they in?  Thanks  Jerrie  :)
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

JerrieH- the brand I buy is Seapoint Farms. It comes in a recloseable see-thru bag. I get it in the organic section of Fred Meyer.  Don't know if you have Fred Meyer where you live.

You can check online to see if you can order it.

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

SweetRose
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

Whole Foods Markets also have the different types of edamames.

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thanks SweetRose & Ollie for the info on the edamames.  I do not have a Fred Meyer store in my area.  There is a really nice Whole Foods Store quite a distance from my home.  I sure wish it was closer.  I have bought frozen edamames in the freezer section at my Walmart Supercenter, but I have never seen any of them that are flavored with spices like wasabi.  I wonder if my Dierbergs has them.  Thanks for the link to seapointfarms.  I'm going to check that out.  Jerrie