Poppy Seed Coleslaw with pineapple and mandarin oranges

If you're looking for a great salad, check here first!
donnanet
New, but learning

Poppy Seed Coleslaw with pineapple and mandarin oranges

Post by donnanet »

This is wonderful for a crowd! It is better the next day:

POPPY SEED COLESLAW

16 oz bag tri-color coleslaw mix
8-1/4 oz can mandarin oranges, well drained
8 oz can pineapple chunks, well drained
1/2 cup low fat or fat free poppy seed salad dressing
1/2 cup low fat or fat free sour cream

In large mixing bowl, combine coleslaw mix and fruit.
In small bowl, stir together poppy seed dressing and sour cream.
Pour over slaw, mix well.
Chill for 1 hour.
donnanet
New, but learning

Re: Poppy Seed Coleslaw with pineapple and mandarin oranges

Post by donnanet »

I forgot to mention that I drain the fruit (packed in it's own juice) and put the juice in ice trays for smoothies!! :thumbsup:
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

I love coleslaw and can't wait to try your recipe.  However, it is something I would only make once in a while because of the poppy seeds and sour cream.

P.S. For me once in a while is probably once every 3-6 months.
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

VickiLynn wrote:I love coleslaw and can't wait to try your recipe.  However, it is something I would only make once in a while because of the poppy seeds and sour cream.

P.S. For me once in a while is probably once every 3-6 months.

how are  poppy seed and free dressing and ff sour cream hurtful.. How many poppy seeds in a bottle of dressing.. I really think if RT says FF jello pudding is OK once in awhile and sf jello is OK then why not the dressing and sour cream..just anxious to know why...  Ketchup same thing... really I think in order for us not to fall off the wagon it is important to use judgment an common sense rather than not this not that etc.. not sure I am explaining this very well
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Lulu,

I guess I didn't get my point across...  As you know, any kind of seed is not recommended so I try to follow the LDL guidelines.  Roger has said a little poppy seed is okay (his answer to using poppy seed is on the board somewhere) occasionally.  I use low fat sour cream now that I have reached my goal weight but again only once in a while and then sparingly.

Vicki

P.S. Haven't seen any of your menus lately nor your ticker going down -- how are you doing?
Last edited by VickiLynn on January 30th, 2010, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

I am doing ok Vicki thank you.. I don't get here every day and because of medical conditions my ticker will not go down quickly.. but I assure you I am doing fine

and Vicki really I think your question about my ticker is a bit inappropriate and I may take it off.. as well as my menus well I may or may not post them  :tongue:
Last edited by lulu65 on January 31st, 2010, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donnanet
New, but learning

Post by donnanet »

Thanks for the reminder Roger Troy, I need to refresh my memory by reading the book often.  I'll do that before I post another recipe that isn't within the boundaries.  God bless you!
Karen Weeks

Post by Karen Weeks »

I think that this recipe sounds soooo good, and I might try it, but because of reading all the concerns, I might just try a little low fat mayo instead.  Might be interesting.  Thanks karen