Everett's Cole Slaw

If you're looking for a great salad, check here first!
blessed

Everett's Cole Slaw

Post by blessed »

I got this recipe from my brother, who got it from someone from Weight Watchers a few years back.  My brother loves this recipe.  Hope you like it too. 

Cole Slaw

1/2 cup rice vinegar (original)
1/4 cup Splenda
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon Morton's Nature's Seasons seasoning blend
1 tablespoon dry chopped cilantro or 2 tablespoon fresh

10 oz. package angel hair cole slaw
16 oz. package 3 color deli slaw
6 green onions, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
Make dressing and refrigerate.  Combine all vegetables, and toss with dressing. 

I thought this was LDL friendly, but while typing it I started to question it because of the rice vinegar and celery seed.  Can someone police this for me.  Thanks
tprouty
Master Member

Re: Everett's Cole Slaw

Post by tprouty »

This sounds tasty, Blessed.

Rice vinegar often has sugar in it, but it can be found without sugar in some stores. I don't remember where I found it, but I had to check a couple of places. I'm not sure about its approval rating since it is a rice product.

The celery seed is only 1 teaspoon divided among many cups of vegetables. For myself, I would go ahead and use this small amount, as many of our seasonings and spices are actually from seeds, but they are greatly diluted in the volume of the other foods. It isn't like eating a handful of nuts or seeds.

I would be interested, too, in the opinion of the Food Police on the rice vinegar. I use it in some recipes because I like the lightness of it.

Thanks for posting this, and raising the question that's been in the back of my mind!

Terri
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

The vinegar can be changed to apple cider if you can't find the rice vinegar without sugar, however, the Morton's Nature's Season Seasoning Blend does contain sugar.

CQ
blessed

Post by blessed »

Holy Cow! I didn't even think about Morton's Season having sugar.  But you are correct.  That is the third ingredient.  Any ideas on a good substitute?  I have two rice vinegars on hand.  I checked them out and one is Natural Rice Vinegar made by Star and has no sugar but the other has corn syrup.  Can you believe it?  My brother will be sorry to hear this.  Thanks for the input, and alerts.
donnanet
New, but learning

Post by donnanet »

Looks like a wonderful recipe.  I love Nature's Seasons also and am curious as to a substitute--maybe one of Mrs. Dash's creations?