"Potato" Salad

If you're looking for a great salad, check here first!
Skywatcher

"Potato" Salad

Post by Skywatcher »

I missed potato salad when I started Let's Do Lunch this summer - so, I got creative! I made potato salad out of cauliflower. You might think- "no way this could have tasted like potato salad"- but I had friends try it and they couldn't tell the difference! I love this....

Steam a head of FRESH cauliflower until cooked "al dente", not too soft (let cool, then chop into cubes or olive-sized chunks and place in a med-lg salad bowl)
3 peeled and diced hard boiled eggs
1/2 cup chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped kosher dill pickles
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill (or 1 teaspoon or so, dried dill)
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/2 cup light Hellman's or other mayonnaise + 1- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar

Toss all together. Sprinkle top with dill or paprika (opt.). Refrigerate until ready to serve! (If you like more or less onion or pickle, etc., just adjust to taste)
Last edited by Skywatcher on February 19th, 2010, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: "Potato" Salad

Post by LINDA RN »

I made Southern-Style Mashed Potato Salad using mashed butter beans and steamed cauliflower. Added a little Miracle Whip (have not found a good substitute for it yet), yelow mustard and condiments (chopped celery, green onions, radishes, boiled eggs and a small dab of chopped pickles) Husband and son loved it. Cauliflower or butter beans will substitute for potatoes but mixing the two make it an outstanding mashed potato dish. Goes great over Shepherd's Pie also.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Skywatcher,

I too love potato salad and my favorite one is Needwifes Potato Salad (link below).

http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/in ... pic=4947.0
Skywatcher

Post by Skywatcher »

Oops! I did forget to hard-boiled eggs to my recipe- I always use eggs!  :blush: NOW the recipe for "Potato" Salad is complete. Thanks for sharing your other recipe for potato salad...it is similar to mine ...
Wuji
New, but learning

Post by Wuji »

Your recipes look great but I love raw Jicama and am determined to try to use it for a sub for potatoes in my potato salad.  Problem is that I have never cooked Jicama.  I understand that it is great fried.... so I am assuming that it can be used for a potato sub.  Does anyone know how long to boil or steam it for use in your "Potato" Salad recipe???  Thank much,  Wuji
mely920
New, but learning

Post by mely920 »

:) sounds really good and put up new post up and im new here...thanks!
Melissa Munoz
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

Welcome, Melissa to LDL!!

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Welcome to LDL, Melissa
You will love how LDL changes your shape back to the way you used to be!
Or if you were never slim in your life....to the way you want to be!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...