Tomato and Cucumber Salad

If you're looking for a great salad, check here first!
leisuregranny

Tomato and Cucumber Salad

Post by leisuregranny »

I made my usual tomato and cucumber salad today, but adjusted it to make it LDL legal.  I switched to apple cider vinegar with a little Stevia in it because the seasoned rice vinegar I usually use has high fructose corn syrup in it.  I actually like the new taste better. Whenever I go to a covered dish event, this is the dish everyone requests most often.  Here's the recipe.

1/2 cucumber, quartered and sliced (the long kind with thin skin and individually shrink wrapped)
  2 plum tomatoes, quartered and sliced
1/4 sweet onion, thinly sliced

Dressing:

1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. dried basil
1 tsp. Mrs. Dash garlic and herb blend
Several drops liquid Stevia (optional, but it gives a unique flavor)
Salt and pepper to taste

Blend together and pour over veggies.  Let flavors blend for 15 minutes. You can use more, or less, of the dressing ingredients to suit your tastes. The thin skin on the cucumbers and the sweet onion give this salad a nice crunch.  This makes about 2 cups of salad.    I usually make a double recipe and eat it all through the day.  Of course now, I won't be eating it in the evening, since I try to eat only fruit in the evening.  The fruit holds me up pretty well, and I feel really good not having too much food on my stomach before going to bed.

I know calories are not an issue on LDL, but for thoses who like to keep track, here's the info:

1 cup of salad - 70 clories; 5 g. fat; 9 g. carbs;2 g. fiber; 1 g. protein

I always liked the challenge of taking my favorite recipes and making them healthier and Weight Watcher friendly.  Now I'm trying to make them LDL legal. As I revamp my favorites, I will post them to see how you like them.

Enjoy!

Blessings,
Sylvia
IF WE MEET AND YOU FORGET ME, YOU HAVE LOST NOTHING. 
BUT, IF YOU MEET JESUS AND FORGET HIM, YOU HAVE LOST EVERYTHING!

wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Re: Tomato and Cucumber Salad

Post by wendysgoodnews »

This sounds like a wonderful recipe to make for my husbands lunch next week.  I also love to take non-LDL recipes and change them to fit what we can eat.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I had to grab my bottle of Red Wine vinegar to check it for Sugar. I have only used it once the other day. Whew! No sugar. I got the WalMart brand of Garlic Flavored Red Wine Vinegar. I am going make your recipe soon.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Red Lion Lass

Post by Red Lion Lass »

I have a question. Before anyone posts a recipe, do they check to see if a recipe has already been posted? There are a number of cucumber and tomato recipes on here. My family likes CodingQueen's version because they like green peppers and radishes.

Red Lion Lass